PDA

View Full Version : Mindee leaving - what to do with observation file?

jenmaz2468
31-03-2012, 03:39 PM
I have my first mindee leaving me after 10 months, she is now 16 months old, mum wants to put her in a nursery (where she works) as she misses her!

Does anyone put a closure to the file, its up to date but I dont feel I shouldnt do too much. Mum is awkward and nothing pleases her anyway, I know my file goes beyond most profiles (without being modest of course).

I just wondered if I should do some kind of 'leaving page'?

And when should I pass the file on, I'm still waiting for my 1st inspection which is very thrustrating because when they come I wont have anyone in early years age bracket so would like the inspector to see this file showing I did everything I should with next steps etc.

rickysmiths
31-03-2012, 03:51 PM
The file should go with the child. I know what you mean about the standard! I have seen woeful ones from childminders and nurseries.:rolleyes: One of my friends takes her name off hers when she hands it over, I leave mine on and glow with pride at a good job done :blush:

Ofsted won't actually be interested in the LJ of a child that isn't with you. They will only look at the children with you on the day.

Could you copy some of the things from the LJ of the leaving child and make up an anonymous sample one to show what you would do for an Early Years child? It would also then be useful to show prospective parents.

sarah707
31-03-2012, 04:04 PM
It can be really difficult to watch your hard work leave with a child can't it? I do understand... but it is theirs to take away.

I just wanted to sympathise - you've had good advice from Ricky :D

jenmaz2468
31-03-2012, 04:13 PM
Thanks guys, I'm just really cheesed off my baby is leaving and I've been chasing Ofsted for my inspection for months.

All my other kids are before/after school so chances of the inspector coming when kids are here is minimal.

I've put so much hard work into the profiles and feel I'm going to loose out because Ofsted haven't yet come to see me. Its a standing joke when I attend training sessions with the early years support team, I must be the only childminder on the planet desperate for my inspection :-(

Chatterbox Childcare
31-03-2012, 05:37 PM
If you still haven't had an EYFS inspection I would chase Ofsted again as I am sure they will be out anytime. They have training for the new EYFS in July and August so won't be doing inspections then

If you don't have children in the EY register then they won't be able to inspect you on that. Could you borrow someone so they can see

Personally I would keep the leaving childs file for another month to see if they are coming and then say that the child has left and this is an example. Afterwards I would hand it over

Helen Dempster
01-04-2012, 11:29 AM
I take a copy of ALL my LJs when a child leaves. It's good for my own records/sef if nothing else and I do like looking back over them from time to time.

jenmaz2468
01-04-2012, 04:48 PM
I think I will take a copy, it just costs so much money for ink, unless I go somewhere with a photocopier who will copy it for me.

As for my inspection, I keep chasing Ofsted for my inspection - I rang about a month ago and was told anytime between then and May, not good eh? They wanted to come last July but I had only been minding for 3 weeks so I was advised by the inspector to write for an extension (it wouldnt have been fair to rate me when I hadn't had chance to do any paperwork). I wasn't expecting to wait this long. I'll ring again tomorrow.

Does anyone do a final 'Goodbye?' type report to finish the profile/LJ off?

Thanks again people x

Smiley
01-04-2012, 07:14 PM
I do a record of transfer, it covers 6 areas of learning and a section for any further comments. I also include a comments box for parents to complete

scoobydoo1
19-04-2012, 09:41 AM
Are the Learning Journey and Observations File seperate

Bridey
19-04-2012, 10:02 AM
Are the Learning Journey and Observations File seperate

Same thing - we all have different names for the work we produce :)

scoobydoo1
19-04-2012, 10:30 AM
Thank you for that, just getting a bit confused. Waiting for Ofsted to do their pre-reg visit and the CAS Team said to do a moc childrens folder so that they can see what I will be doing, so just checking thanks. x

Debster
19-04-2012, 11:05 AM
I was thinking about this this morning. I have my inspection due in June and have 3 of my children starting school in September. I have had all the children from around 7 mths so I have some great LJ's with parents comments first steps words etc I will be gutted if Ofsted do not inspect before they leave and I am doubtful they will as many minders in the area are 9 mths plus over due for their inspection. I will have nothing to show my inspector and if I get loads of newbies
it will not reflect all the work I have been doing over the last 3 yrs. Thinking of taking copies but will the inspector even be intrested in them if they are no longer with me:(
On the plus side I will be asking for extensive glowing references form the parents for Ofsted to read and I will be asking them to include comments on the content of the LJ

Bridey
19-04-2012, 11:08 AM
I was thinking about this this morning. I have my inspection due in June and have 3 of my children starting school in September. I have had all the children from around 7 mths so I have some great LJ's with parents comments first steps words etc I will be gutted if Ofsted do not inspect before they leave and I am doubtful they will as many minders in the area are 9 mths plus over due for their inspection. I will have nothing to show my inspector and if I get loads of newbies
it will not reflect all the work I have been doing over the last 3 yrs. Thinking of taking copies but will the inspector even be intrested in them if they are no longer with me:(
On the plus side I will be asking for extensive glowing references form the parents for Ofsted to read and I will be asking them to include comments on the content of the LJ

Are you not looking after any of them after school? If so, you get to keep the LJs for another year's work!

moggy
19-04-2012, 11:13 AM
I think I will take a copy, it just costs so much money for ink, unless I go somewhere with a photocopier who will copy it for me.

If you have a digital camera you can photographing each page, then you have it on record and you do not need to print unless you want to in future. I often use my camera as a 'photocopier/scanner'.

Debster
19-04-2012, 03:40 PM
Are you not looking after any of them after school? If so, you get to keep the LJs for another year's work!

No :( they are all leaving me I am dreading it tbh I love them all I have had them almost 3 yrs. The first mindee that left me my dd and I spent the rest of the day in tears. I get a lump in my throat thinking about it I have got really attached to them

Bridey
19-04-2012, 04:02 PM
Aww :( I know exactly what you mean. I cried buckets when a family I worked for 6 years returned to France - I still get letters from the children and they visit whenever they are in the UK.

Mind you, there have been one or two over the years that I've gone 'phew' over when they left! ;)

Debster
19-04-2012, 05:57 PM
:
Aww :( I know exactly what you mean. I cried buckets when a family I worked for 6 years returned to France - I still get letters from the children and they visit whenever they are in the UK.

Mind you, there have been one or two over the years that I've gone 'phew' over when they left! ;)

:laughing: I have had a few too