PDA

View Full Version : Tadpoles

handeme
31-03-2012, 12:37 PM
One of my mindees parents kindly arrived with some tadpoles. We had been looking at them at the nature reserve so thought we might like some from there pond.

Does anyone know how to care for them, what do they eat etc?

mama2three
31-03-2012, 01:04 PM
We kept them the year before last , couldnt find any last year.
From what I remember - water from the pond or rainwater , or at a push boiled water left out in the garden for a couple of days before putting the tads in.
Pond-weed if you can get hold of any , for food / shade , and fish food flakes.
Mine were indoors and developed fairly quickly. My friend collected hers at the same time , only differences a smaller container and kept outside. Hers never did grow legs!

Polly2
31-03-2012, 01:17 PM
We have tadpoles at the moment! Aren't they great!!

We have some pondweed in the tub that they are feeding on - I also sprinkle some crushed fish food once a day.

Apparantly when they become froglets they are carnivorous and enjoy blood worms which you can get from pet shops and slugs and little crickets. I also read of one setting that dangled some bacon that they enjoyed but we have not got to that stage yet!

handeme
31-03-2012, 01:33 PM
I looked online and there are lots of different opinions on what they should be fed on. It does say to boil lettuce for about 15 mins and feed them a little bit of that.

It said as soon as legs appear they will begin to eat each other if they are not given mead, blood worms it says or liver held on string dangling into the water.

nell57
31-03-2012, 01:39 PM
We've aquired some tadpoles too. The lady next door, had frogspawn, but too much, so we took some to the local pond at a nature reserve for her. We have kept a bucket full here, so we can observe them. All the tadpoles, water and a bit of weed has come from the neighbours pond.

We only had them since yesterday and didn't even give it a thought about feeding them:o, so glad I've come across this thread, just sent dh out to buy fish food:thumbsup:

miffy
31-03-2012, 10:08 PM
They eat pond weed and insects, by the time they become frogs they eat small slugs and other garden insects

Miffy xx

The Juggler
31-03-2012, 10:22 PM
fishfood, lettuce and cucumber :thumbsup:

Zoomie
01-04-2012, 07:37 AM
Interesting, I might be able to acquire some.

However, some practicalities, do you keep the bucket in door or out (or both, and why?).
What about toddler's leaning into the bucket ???
When do you need to release them? (Sorry I dread to have frogs hopping around my house).

handeme
01-04-2012, 04:07 PM
I've put mine in a clear plastic toy box with a lid. It has air holes at the top by the handle so they can get air but not escape! Also the kiddies can see them at all times with no danger of leaning to far into the water. I've had mine both and and outside in the toy box

Were off to the Nature Reserve to get some bits to decorate there space.

I have given them some cucumber which seems to be going down well!

C x

loocyloo
01-04-2012, 04:23 PM
when they start to grow legs, put a branch or something in, so they can climb out to get air!

Polly2
01-04-2012, 05:57 PM
Mine are outside in a clear plastic box. I don't allow mindees out to see them by themselves so they are kept in a secure part of my garden.

handeme
02-04-2012, 07:26 AM
Were off to the woods and nature reserve today to collect some bits and bats for them. Branches ans rocks etc. They developed from frog spawn into tadpoles this weekend and when my little mindee came in this morning he run to them all excited.