PDA

View Full Version : Parent overpaying me every month

missymood
31-03-2012, 12:34 PM
Hi

One of my parents is starting to overpay me each month. She. Pays £242.00 direct to my bank but her bill is lower than this!

Not sure how to write it down on my accounts book

Please help thanks

sarah707
31-03-2012, 12:46 PM
I keep a note on the attendance register... although as it's end of year I will need to put it into my income as well.

:D

missymood
31-03-2012, 12:47 PM
I keep a note on the attendance register... although as it's end of year I will need to put it into my income as well.

:D

So how do you write it on your expenses sheet. Please

The Juggler
31-03-2012, 01:18 PM
why is she overpaying you - is it to build up a sum for covering summer?

I'd be inclined to just state actual money she is paying you monthly hon or it could get complicated.

Then as she'll pay you less than she owes you in summer you just account for the actual payment.

I'd do an invoice showing something like this:

April

No. hours care xxx £
Payment on account for August £

Then when you do her August invoice you would state

No hours care xxx £
Less payments on account -£xx

:thumbsup:

missymood
31-03-2012, 01:34 PM
They pay the total that they can claim for which is £242 on the vouchers system.

I think I'll just do a tally sheet so I know where I am otherwise it could get complicated and invoice them to show where they are too.

Thanks

Chatterbox Childcare
31-03-2012, 01:52 PM
When I issue my invoice I say

1 monthly fee of x

Invoiced March x
Paid March x

The subtotal at the bottom goes down each month and when she uses the credit it goes up

Make sure that the parent knows that you cannot refund this money and if she wants it back it needs to go back to the voucher company, otherwise you are both committing fraud

No expenses needed for this

Mouse
31-03-2012, 03:08 PM
I agree with Chatterbox. You need to make sure parents are aware that you cannot refund the money directly to them. What are they building it up for?

In tha past I have had parents take their £242 in vouchers, but pay me less than that. The balance stayed on their voucher account so they had extra funds to draw on if the fee was ever higher.

Personally, I wouldn't want to be holding money on account unless it was going to be used within a month or 2.

The Juggler
31-03-2012, 03:16 PM
i agree, if it is just voucher money, I'd be asking them to please pay the correct amount. I wouldn't want to get involved in overpayments which are related to tax breaks and then the refunds that might need to happen if they leave :panic:

Are they planning to build up until they have a month's fees? Thing is when that happens and they use the voucher money up, they will lose out on the tax break that month so they might as well just lose the tax break on a smaller amoutn each month.

rickysmiths
31-03-2012, 03:26 PM
I agree with Chatterbox. You need to make sure parents are aware that you cannot refund the money directly to them. What are they building it up for?

In tha past I have had parents take their £242 in vouchers, but pay me less than that. The balance stayed on their voucher account so they had extra funds to draw on if the fee was ever higher.

Personally, I wouldn't want to be holding money on account unless it was going to be used within a month or 2.

I agree with Mouse. I have often had parents pay me less than the voucher amount and bank the rest with the voucher company.

You need to make it very clear that you will never be able to refund them this money that it will have to be returned to the voucher company and paid back to them via their employer. I would not be happy to have a large amount of over payment to be being made.

mr man
31-03-2012, 05:07 PM
i have this with a set of parents.
last year they paid me two vouchers and it was createing a huge overpayment, each invoice showed this and they where happy to carry on so that in easter and then smemr hols they didnt need to top them up .

now i have one voucehr off them and they pay school another one, but last month they rang and asked if they could trasnfer what L had in his voucher account beacuse ( nice as they are ) we were doing a lot of work on our house and they suggested they send this money to me as i was going to get it i the end once school hols were inclduded.
in no way offeneded i said thats realy thoughtful.

as i do and other have advised as long as each month is talllied and they underatand all then i wouldnt worry.

missymood
07-04-2012, 08:18 PM
When I issue my invoice I say

1 monthly fee of x

Invoiced March x
Paid March x

The subtotal at the bottom goes down each month and when she uses the credit it goes up

Make sure that the parent knows that you cannot refund this money and if she wants it back it needs to go back to the voucher company, otherwise you are both committing fraud

No expenses needed for this

Yes thanks have already told her this and in writing!

missymood
07-04-2012, 08:20 PM

Its not too much over and this month they will owe me £6 but next month will be in credit again. Their new baby will be starting with me in September so I guess this will be towards him. I am on top of it all now but bit confusing to start with :D

miffy
08-04-2012, 07:51 AM

I agree with Mouse, there's no need for them to overpay you the money can just build up in their voucher account. That way you don't need to get involved or have to declare you've had money for work yet to be done.

Miffy xx

boxtree7
08-04-2012, 09:43 AM
I have a parents who pay me with computershare - i have noticed overpayments dad pays & mum pays so much each month from separate accounts. I don't understand why they overpay as they are aware of their monthly charges.

VeggieSausage
08-04-2012, 07:22 PM
they overpay so they are getting their full tax relief on any money coming out of their salary - if you refund it to them then they are quids in!

MrAnchovy
09-04-2012, 12:26 PM
they overpay so they are getting their full tax relief on any money coming out of their salary

But they still get this tax relief if they just save up the vouchers in their Computershare account until they need them - there is no need for them to overpay.

if you refund it to them then they are quids in!

... and if you do this both you and they are breaking the law :(

rickysmiths
09-04-2012, 12:40 PM
they overpay so they are getting their full tax relief on any money coming out of their salary - if you refund it to them then they are quids in!

If you think you could refund parents in this situation you are very wrong. ANY repayments MUST go back to the voucher company and then back to the employer so the correct Tax and NI can be deducted. If this does not happen and a cm refunds then they and the parents are breaking the law. It is fraud.

I know this and implemented it a parent who gave me notice, they were made redundant, but who had overpaid me by the end of the contract with voucher payments. I explained how I would refund the money. via the voucher company and they went mad.

The mother came and knocked on my door and threatened me saying she would stand outside when my parents were collecting and tell them what a dreadful cm I was :laughing::laughing: I reported the incident to Ofsted as soon as I closed the door and I told all my other parents that night.

I stuck to my guns and refunded to the voucher company and confirmed with the parents how much and when it was refunded. The parents replied by complaining to Ofsted about several welfare issues six weeks after they had left me having not mentioned any of it to me. The complaint was not upheld, Ofsted didn't even visit me.