PDA

View Full Version : VERY simplified obs ok???

jadavi
30-03-2012, 05:54 PM
I'm mithering about whether my reduced paperwoirk simplified for parents obs will stand muster at my upcoming O inspec.
I have asked before but will ask again as it's worrying me....

ALL I do re obs is the photo of proof in the LJ, and a caption coming out saying something like 'Look I can ride a scooter! I'm going to try a bike over the summer' I show what they did and what the next step will be.
I DONT use a form with columns etc and I dont do a long para like 'Sara is on her scooter bladibla....

I was doing it way more academic but parents hated it and my local network seemed to think it was OK to do this.

I also use an ongoing planning document on my laptop covering each child once or twice a week where I give feedback after they have played with something (inspired by Penny's system) (That is in columns--what we have done/reason for activity/wow moment,next steps,obs.) I find this document to be very informative and each child is listed but its not divided into child's files, its just stored day by day chronologically.

It all feel a bit thin, but it does the job...do you think O will be OK with it???

rosebud
30-03-2012, 06:34 PM
The point of the paperwork shouldn't be for Ofsted it should be done for your children and parents and of course yourself. Does it show how you move children on to the next stage in their development? Is it child and parent friendly to look at and understand? Are YOU happy with what you do - if so then have confidence and think about how to voice your reasons for doing it this way so that you can explain to Ofsted when they come. It sounds lovely to me.

Ripeberry
30-03-2012, 06:47 PM
If you're happy with it and the parents love it then keep doing it :thumbsup:
In the end it's a document for the parents to keep and maybe for the child to look back on when they are older :)

jadavi
31-03-2012, 11:43 AM
Thank you for your encouraging feedback.

I have had a break thru and realise i can share my daily planning / activity log with the parents. I will leave it by the door for them to look at. They will appreciate this and I think Ofsted will like that. Each child will have 1 - 2 days charted a week.
Feel much relieved! Thanks

Wendybird
31-03-2012, 01:48 PM
If it makes you feel better the 'outstanding' rated nursery that a couple of my kids go to do one obs per month and it is just a picture, scrap of paper with one sentence and tiny letters at the bottom circled for which area of the EYFS. I couldn't believe it when I saw it and it made me realise I was really over-doing it ;)

Shar
31-03-2012, 03:57 PM
I also do about 1 or 2 obs per month and link it to the 6 areas of learning. I do next steps for each obs, which is each child's individual planning. I keep it simple in plain English so parents understand.
It's all down to the inspector on the day and luck!:thumbsup: