PDA

View Full Version : before & after school in sept - retainer?

bec123
30-03-2012, 10:45 AM
I've been approached by a lady who would like me to care for her little girl before & after school when she starts in September (Rising 5) - I have got a space to do this and am happy to do so but its not til September - should I charge a retainer? If so how do you work it out and would it be refundable?
Any advice would be greatly appreciated as I've got to speak to her later to confirm I can do it. - thanks

Also I've currently look after a little boy who attends pre-school 3 afternoons per week. I have just in the morning and sometimes drop him off at pre-school. From September he will be attending 2 full days and a half day - what should I charge? Do I charge before and after school rate on the days he attends pre school or I know some of you charge whilst they're at pre-school - again any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks x

tess1981
30-03-2012, 10:50 AM
I would work out what your fee will will be for them and charge half as retainer and i only refund it if i can't offer it after she starts paying it. if she decides later she does not need it i do not refund. hth

Mummits
30-03-2012, 10:52 AM
I doubt your lady will be willing to pay a retainer for all that time. I think I'd take a sizeable non-returnable deposit if I was happy to guarantee the place, or ask her to get in touch nearer the time if I wanted to keep my options open.

As for the pre-schooler, what do you do now? Assuming you don't charge for the afternoons he's at pre-school, I imagine his parents will not be expecting to have you charge when he is gone there of the day. I wouldn't personally take an under five for just before and after school hours at my usual hourly rate, so you probably need to work out whether this works for you, how much you need to earn from it and sit down and negotiate with the parents

rosebud
30-03-2012, 11:11 AM
I would take a deposit of a months fees to reserve the space for September and this would then act as the first months fees. (Non refundable if they change their mind) I wouldn't charge a retainer but if you're concerned about turning work down in the meantime ask her to contact you nearer the time - perhaps end of June.

For the second child if you haven't charged whilst he's at pre-school up to now (I wouldn't have done either) then the parents aren't going to be too pleased if you ask them to now. I would just charge before and after school and would try to get a variation if necessary so you can still take 3 under 5's during the day.

nokidshere
30-03-2012, 11:54 AM
I take the first months fees, in cash, on the day they sign the contract. And its non refundable.

miffy
30-03-2012, 11:57 AM
I would take a deposit of a months fees to reserve the space for September and this would then act as the first months fees. (Non refundable if they change their mind) I wouldn't charge a retainer but if you're concerned about turning work down in the meantime ask her to contact you nearer the time - perhaps end of June.

For the second child if you haven't charged whilst he's at pre-school up to now (I wouldn't have done either) then the parents aren't going to be too pleased if you ask them to now. I would just charge before and after school and would try to get a variation if necessary so you can still take 3 under 5's during the day.

I would do the same as Rosebud, although I would have been charging full day fees for the second child anyway as they were taking up a space but you can't suddenly begin to do that and I expect the reason they are going to preschool,all day is to take advantage of free places so parent won't want to be paying you too.

Miffy xx

Bridey
30-03-2012, 11:59 AM
I take a returnable deposit, not a retainer and use it against the first month's fee. You then have the option to use the place for someone else between now and September if you wish.

bec123
01-04-2012, 09:26 AM
ok thanks ladies I appreciate the advice x

Kezzle
01-05-2012, 08:57 AM
Ah i now have a lady asking for september places. This has helped me confirm that i should take a deposit to reserve a spot. :) Thanks!