PDA

View Full Version : Quick question re Pre-school charges

AliceK
30-03-2012, 09:18 AM
Sorry if this is in the wrong place I just needed a quick answer.
If an existing mindee is starting with the funded 15hrs at pre-school and mum will be taking mindee there in the morning and then wants me to collect at lunchtime and keep until the end of the day would you charge for the time they are at preschool even though you are not taking?
If I were taking and collecting I would charge but I'm not sure if it's usual to charge if you just collect and keep for the rest of the day. If not what about school holidays and inset days? If I'm not charging then surely that space is not available for mindee during those hours at all?
Help!!!! I'm confused :blush:

xxxx

QualityCare
30-03-2012, 09:27 AM
I don't charge if the parents take to pre school but start charging from 30mins before pre school ends, in the holidays l charge all day.

AliceK
30-03-2012, 09:52 AM
I don't charge if the parents take to pre school but start charging from 30mins before pre school ends, in the holidays l charge all day.

Thank you, but if i don't charge for the morning when she is at pre-school I could effectively take another child on for those hours so therefore the space wouldn't be available in the school hols during the morning hours IYSWIM. I know it might be a long shot to get a child for just those morning hours but I have had 1 before from 8am until lunchtime so it may well happen again. I guess I could explain this to mum and she can take her chance??

Mummits
30-03-2012, 10:55 AM
Thank you, but if i don't charge for the morning when she is at pre-school I could effectively take another child on for those hours so therefore the space wouldn't be available in the school hols during the morning hours IYSWIM. I know it might be a long shot to get a child for just those morning hours but I have had 1 before from 8am until lunchtime so it may well happen again. I guess I could explain this to mum and she can take her chance??

I would do that. Say if you don't charge for the morning then you may let someone else have those hours. If they want to hold that space for the holidays, you can agree a retainer. I also charge a higher hourly rate for ad hoc additional hours (but obviously wouldn't if they were paying a retainer to reserve them).

EmmaReed84
30-03-2012, 11:01 AM
I would give them the choice, pay a retainer during pre-school to secure holiday place, or no retainer and if you fill the place then tough!

rosebud
30-03-2012, 11:05 AM
I would give them the choice, pay a retainer during pre-school to secure holiday place, or no retainer and if you fill the place then tough!

This is what I do and parents have always been happy with it. Some don't need the space during the holidays so don't pay a retainer but for those that do they have always been happy to pay 50% for the hours not being used.

Chimps Childminding
30-03-2012, 11:15 AM
If I take and collect I charge full!! It I only collect and parent drops them at pre-school/nursery etc I charge half. As you say you can't fill the space if they need it for holidays so at least by charging half you get something and parent thinks you are doing them a favour :D

AliceK
30-03-2012, 11:21 AM
If I take and collect I charge full!! It I only collect and parent drops them at pre-school/nursery etc I charge half. As you say you can't fill the space if they need it for holidays so at least by charging half you get something and parent thinks you are doing them a favour :D

Makes perfect sense :thumbsup:

Thank you all xxxx

miffy
30-03-2012, 12:02 PM
I must be a meanie because I charge full fee as I can't fill those few hours the child is at preschool and I only have limited places.

Miffy xx

hello kitty
30-03-2012, 06:57 PM
I must be a meanie because I charge full fee as I can't fill those few hours the child is at preschool and I only have limited places.

Miffy xx

Me too! ;)

blue bear
31-03-2012, 12:45 AM
I charges normal, it holds the place for pre school closures and I'm the first point of contact for pre school in emergency so couldn't take on another child for those hours.