PDA

View Full Version : 11 yr old

Diana67
29-03-2012, 07:36 PM
Hi

I have had a phone call to look after 11yr old after school 3 times a week .She will make her own way to my house(walking with a friend) and mum will collect will be 4-6.I have said I charge £8 for 2 hrs after school so be £24 (6hrs).I am a newbie so cant turn work away do you think this is reasonable mum said she will do homework and if its ok with me might go to her friends in next street depends how I feel about it.

Diana

mushpea
29-03-2012, 07:49 PM
I had a 11yrold for a while who walked to mine and I made it clear that I wasnt to be held responsible for her untill she got to me and whilst with me she stayed with me untill collection time, as it was an ad hock arrangment I just charged for when she was here but your charges sound resonable.
you have to think of the saftey implications of the other children in your care if she does go out on her own and there is a problem ie what would you do with the others if this girl hurt herself and you had to go find her , would they all get their shoes etc on quick enough

Diana67
29-03-2012, 07:58 PM
Thank you Mushypea

I did say to mum that I would be responsible for her while in my care and I would be concerned she said its up to me .So I think I feel better saying no even thou I havent got any mindies at minute.

Diana

sarah707
29-03-2012, 08:11 PM
I was approached about an 11 year old recently.

I said fine about walking to me... but I could not be responsible until she got to my door.

I have a independent arrival policy that I will give parents and a permission form.

I said no to being elsewhere as it's not covered by my insurance - you should check with yours!

Hth

Bridey
30-03-2012, 09:42 AM
I look after an 11 year old twice a week. His parents signed a independent arrival agreement and are aware that I am not responsible until he reaches here. He also has had it drummed into him that if he is going to be late (after-school clubs etc) that he MUST text me. He's a bit of a loner I have set up a separate room for him upstairs ... my spare room has a sofa-bed and a tv and a ps2 and a box of age appropriate games and dvds. He loves his special space away from the little ones, does his homework there too and sometimes comes down to play with the others if he feels like it. Its all worked out very well really :)

I wouldn't agree to him wandering the streets or visiting friends when he is supposed to be here. I do not want to be responsible for that. The way I see it is that if his parents consider he's old enough to wander off by himself then why are they bothering to pay for a childminder in the first place.

miffy
30-03-2012, 12:08 PM
I was approached about an 11 year old recently.

I said fine about walking to me... but I could not be responsible until she got to my door.

I have a independent arrival policy that I will give parents and a permission form.

I said no to being elsewhere as it's not covered by my insurance - you should check with yours!

Hth

I do the same as Sarah.

I would not agree to the child being elsewhere as I wouldn't want to be responsible when I couldn't possibly know what they were doing.

Miffy xx

mindingmummy
30-03-2012, 12:14 PM
I currently care for a child who brings himself back to my house after school.

It has worked reasonably well, however we did have a few teething problems.

For example if I said I would pick him up one day as I was going to be picking others up he forgot and went to my house without me, and I had to race back so he wasn't waiting too long. Another day he forgot to walk to mine and was waiting in the school playground for me.....:panic:

I ended up creating a form for his mum to fill in and sign to give her responsibility for his well-being until he got to my house, and we have the agreement that he always takes his mobile phone with him which he turns on as he leaves school so I can call him if he's late to find out where he is.

After the initial confusions it actually works well. :)

Diana67
30-03-2012, 12:25 PM
Hi Bridey

I know im cheeky but you havent got a template of independant agreement form or know where I can find one .

Thanks Diana

Diana67
30-03-2012, 12:29 PM
I have decided your all right shes my responsibility so I willnt let her out even if mum says shes allowed as I will tell her my insurance doesnt cover me and I will be responsible for her till she is collected as it is true if mum doesnt mind her being out why am I haveing her .

Thanks for the advice :)

Bridey
30-03-2012, 01:24 PM
Let me look at my files - hang on a mo!

Aha yes ... I based mine on the one on the Bromley Childminding Association's website - you will find the link to it on their policies and procedures page. I tweaked it a little bit, held a meeting with the parents and the child and had everyone read and sign it :)

silvermist
30-03-2012, 03:43 PM
Hi Im going to be minding an 11 yr old after easter. I talked to her about her interests and she loves crafts so will join in with whatever im doing, also if she's had a tiring day she may just want to chill out watching tv. Im leaving it up to her and as I will be collecting her theres not the issue with arriving independently. x