29-03-2012, 06:48 PM
made one today in the garden - oh how I love it xxx

buildingblocks
29-03-2012, 06:57 PM
made one today in the garden - oh how I love it xxx

Oo sounds good any photos to share please

karensmart4
29-03-2012, 09:34 PM
I went to a 'real' forest school, actually in the deep dark woods :cool: and they had one, while I was there they made a Victoria sponge in it... brilliant :thumbsup:

jadavi
30-03-2012, 05:50 AM
O you mean pizza oven sort of thing? No mine is just an area for mud and water with shelves with pots and spoons and muffin trays on and a little play oven. I'll try n get a pic later xx

miffy
30-03-2012, 06:41 AM
Sounds good, I'd like to see piccies too

Miffy xx

miss mopple
30-03-2012, 06:46 AM
would love to see a pic. Its on my 'to do' list :)

jumpinjen
30-03-2012, 06:54 AM
We made one this week too! It must be the new childminding 'in' thing to have LOL!!! ours had signs for slug soup and ladybird pie and prices on them all, they renamed it a witches kitchen and were flying around on broomsticks!!!!

Jen x

angeldelight
30-03-2012, 07:01 AM
Pics Pics Pics pleaseeeeee

Angel xx

mindingmummy08
30-03-2012, 11:45 AM
I want to see photos too!!! :)

Playmate
30-03-2012, 12:55 PM
I think you are all very brave building mud kitchens :D

I love the idea, but in reality just don't think I could cope with this :blush:

I'm all for controlled messy play and getting a bit dirty but the thought of children having access to mud everytime they went in the garden fills me with dread. We currently have 4 under 2 who who would eat it constantly :panic:

How do you clean them all afterwards and do you ask for clothes specifically for the garden? I'm begining to feel like such a dreadful CM, for not offering these opportunties, but just feel exhausted thinking about cleaning them all up before going home. The reception class and nursery at the school my 2 mindees attends has a muddy area, the lad I care for comes home caked everyday and his parents are so unhappy because the uniform is so expensive. I think if their daughter came home caked in mud from here to they would do their nut :laughing:

I suppose as I was one of those children who couldn't see the point in jumping in muddy puddles, getting dirty and cold, I find it difficult to see what others see in it, but I would like to see it from the other side.

This post actually makes me sound like an OCD clean freak, but actually I'm not, so please don't lynch me :laughing: I would seriously like to know how you cope with the practicalities of these sort of activities ;)

PixiePetal
30-03-2012, 03:10 PM

I'm all for controlled messy play and getting a bit dirty but the thought of children having access to mud everytime they went in the garden fills me with dread. We currently have 4 under 2 who who would eat it constantly :panic:

How do you clean them all afterwards and do you ask for clothes specifically for the garden? I'm begining to feel like such a dreadful CM, for not offering these opportunties, but just feel exhausted thinking about cleaning them all up before going home. The reception class and nursery at the school my 2 mindees attends has a muddy area, the lad I care for comes home caked everyday and his parents are so unhappy because the uniform is so expensive. I think if their daughter came home caked in mud from here to they would do their nut :laughing:

I suppose as I was one of those children who couldn't see the point in jumping in muddy puddles, getting dirty and cold, I find it difficult to see what others see in it, but I would like to see it from the other side.

This post actually makes me sound like an OCD clean freak, but actually I'm not, so please don't lynch me :laughing: I would seriously like to know how you cope with the practicalities of these sort of activities ;)

You are not alone! My mindees get muddy on walks down the woods etc and get cleaned up and changed when we get back. Not sure I would want it all the time - I also loathe sand :o

Playmate
30-03-2012, 03:47 PM
You are not alone! My mindees get muddy on walks down the woods etc and get cleaned up and changed when we get back. Not sure I would want it all the time - I also loathe sand :o

I have to be honest Pixie, there is no sand in my sand table either at the moment, as the last time it was out it was thrown and had to start getting it out of eyes :(

Chimps Childminding
30-03-2012, 05:02 PM

I'm with you on this one, though I apparently used to eat worms when I was small :eek: the thought of 3 under 2's covered in mud :panic: I do have sand, BUT I bought a sit in sand pit then thought about the mindees coming in covering in sand and in nappies etc. and its still sat in the box not built up, we are using the sand table we already had!

jadavi
30-03-2012, 05:33 PM
http://http://i42.tinypic.com/23a5v6.jpg

Hope that inserting image works... (I used tinypics.com)

My kiitchen is very basic - just a raised bank of earth with stones bordering it and the earth all dug up ready for mixing with water. Next to it a camping unit of shelves and out of sight a little cooker. Pots pans spoons at the ready. Muffin tray with mud pies in the foreground.
I do find the kids who like to play with it do it quite delicately and dont get too messy. I only give a jug of water if I'm there to supervise. I think I get more of a kick out of this than they do tbh !

jadavi
30-03-2012, 05:34 PM
http://i42.tinypic.com/23a5v6.jpg[/IMG]

trying again ...

Playmate
30-03-2012, 05:46 PM
http://i42.tinypic.com/23a5v6.jpg[/IMG]

trying again ...

Certainly looks fun :D maybe when my 4 under 2's have grown up a bit I will feel more adventerous :D

mama2three
30-03-2012, 05:54 PM
My little ones wear puddle suits when theyre likely to get muddy - we have a dug over area at the moment where our veggie planters will live shortly. I havent aimed for it to become a mud-kitchen but they are forever taking water from the water table and watering it so its certainly a mudpit!

francinejayne
30-03-2012, 07:30 PM
We LOVE our mud kitchen!!! Ours was born last summer and it has been played with so much! I have learnt what works and what doesn't, it has since been relocated in the garden - I cut back some bushes and created a den type space for it to fit in - it is the perfect height for up to 6-7 years old, although I get in there crouching down, and due to it's new location there is an abundance of mud ready for scooping up!

Here is a link to my blog with the kitchen on from last year - I will be posting a new post with more recent photos soon.... http://jumpingbeanschildminding.blogspot.co.uk/2011/08/mud-pie-kitchen.html

For all those worriers - I say go for it, just be prepared with wipes, fresh hand washing water, soap, towels etc!

Playmate
30-03-2012, 07:40 PM
We LOVE our mud kitchen!!! Ours was born last summer and it has been played with so much! I have learnt what works and what doesn't, it has since been relocated in the garden - I cut back some bushes and created a den type space for it to fit in - it is the perfect height for up to 6-7 years old, although I get in there crouching down, and due to it's new location there is an abundance of mud ready for scooping up!

Here is a link to my blog with the kitchen on from last year - I will be posting a new post with more recent photos soon.... http://jumpingbeanschildminding.blogspot.co.uk/2011/08/mud-pie-kitchen.html

For all those worriers - I say go for it, just be prepared with wipes, fresh hand washing water, soap, towels etc!

Ahhh now this makes more sence! I don't do big children all mine are 5 and under which is probably why I having the horrors :laughing: