PDA

View Full Version : Advice for Newbies!!

Weeze1979
29-03-2012, 10:21 AM
Morning all,

I have recently registered and, although I have 15 years Early Years experience behind me... Childminding is a new experience altogether, and I'm pretty sure I'm not alone!

So I was just wondering if there were any mega advice or tips you lovely lot would share with us newbies? Things you swear by now, things you wish you'd known before or items you wouldn't live without, tips for managing your own children (or hubby :rolleyes:), your house as a business...... absolutey anything!

Can't wait to hear them! :clapping: Thanks in advance :thumbsup:

The Juggler
29-03-2012, 10:32 AM
welcome, well here goes - you did ask :laughing:

make sure you have a supportive hubby/partner who pulls his weight with the housework of an evening and understands that you are working all day too :laughing:

buy things as you go along, you can "buy back" your own kids stuff in your accounts if you use them for work.

use car boots and charity shops and the sales

make sure they know about you - what kind of setting you will run what to expect in terms of observations/photos feedback - are they happy with that - would they expect more or less?

make sure parents are aware of what their children will be doing and they will get mucky/messy so please send a change of clothes.

make sure they know how it will impact you if they turn up late to drop off (especially if you have a school run) or pick up (if you have your own children to sort)

make sure parents are fully aware of what they will be paying for or not paying for in detail when signing contracts i.e. you understand then that you will be paying whether your child attends or not but if I'm ill there is no fee etc, etc,

make sure they are fully aware they will need to make arrangeemnts if their child is sick as per your policy.

tell them you HATE having late fees and late collection charges and you don't like to ever have to use them if possible but they need to be there in cases of persistent late payers.

make sure you take a months deposit on signing a contract and that parents know its non-refundable if they don't start because they change their mind.

I'm sure there are more hon

vital resources - couple of small world/construction sets to start, a sand table if you can, some trays for water and messy play (just potting trays will do), lots of mark makign stuff and paper and pva glue

books - chekc out the library sales for cheap ones

a set of musical instruments

a small kitchen for a home corner area if you have space.

good luck

Bridey
29-03-2012, 10:49 AM
My tip would be to be as firm with the parents as you are with the children! Bad behaviour will not be tolerated, including late payment of fees, early drop-off, late pick up etc Its fine to be flexible ... but only on your terms.

With your own children - make a distinction between their special toys and childminding toys and make sure their special toys are kept safely away from mindees. My son had his bedroom as his private special place. If he wanted a mindee to play in his room (this was when they were school age) then he could invite them but they had no right to be in there otherwise.

miffy
29-03-2012, 12:15 PM
Hi and welcome to the forum

I think the money side of things is one of the most difficult to sort out so my advice would be always make sure you are paid in advance and that parents know no money = no child care. Discuss and draw up your contracts carefully, make sure you cover all eventualities or there will be (at least) one parent who comes up with something you've not thought of :rolleyes:

Be clear about what they are paying for - yes you will look after their child but being their messenger, personal shopper and general dogsbody is not part of the service!

Don't rush out buying lots of toys until you know the ages of the children you'll be looking after, you might buy things you don't need.

Very best of luck with your new venture

Miffy. Xx

Weeze1979
29-03-2012, 06:33 PM
welcome, well here goes - you did ask :laughing:

make sure you have a supportive hubby/partner who pulls his weight with the housework of an evening and understands that you are working all day too :laughing:

buy things as you go along, you can "buy back" your own kids stuff in your accounts if you use them for work.

use car boots and charity shops and the sales

make sure they know about you - what kind of setting you will run what to expect in terms of observations/photos feedback - are they happy with that - would they expect more or less?

make sure parents are aware of what their children will be doing and they will get mucky/messy so please send a change of clothes.

make sure they know how it will impact you if they turn up late to drop off (especially if you have a school run) or pick up (if you have your own children to sort)

make sure parents are fully aware of what they will be paying for or not paying for in detail when signing contracts i.e. you understand then that you will be paying whether your child attends or not but if I'm ill there is no fee etc, etc,

make sure they are fully aware they will need to make arrangeemnts if their child is sick as per your policy.

tell them you HATE having late fees and late collection charges and you don't like to ever have to use them if possible but they need to be there in cases of persistent late payers.

make sure you take a months deposit on signing a contract and that parents know its non-refundable if they don't start because they change their mind.

I'm sure there are more hon

vital resources - couple of small world/construction sets to start, a sand table if you can, some trays for water and messy play (just potting trays will do), lots of mark makign stuff and paper and pva glue

books - chekc out the library sales for cheap ones

a set of musical instruments

a small kitchen for a home corner area if you have space.

good luck

All lovely advice, thankyou!

R.e. a husband who 'understands'....... is this a mandatory requirement!!?????? ;):laughing:

buildingblocks
29-03-2012, 07:14 PM
First and foremost this forum is your new best friend and becomes your second home

start as you mean to go on - do not do favours for anyone especially friends and family as they are the ones that will moan over the slightest thing and stab you in the back

You will make mistakes - learn from them and don't look back - remember That which does not kill us makes us stronger. Friedrich Nietzsche

If someone tells you something is a fact always check the forum first as the wonderful members here know everything

Lastly the forum is the greatest resource you can have as a childminder

cupcake22
29-03-2012, 08:32 PM
Whenever you have a worry, a question or a problem just post it on this forum and before you know it you will have the answer from one of the lovely people on here. I know that i would't be able to manage without everyone on here.

Cupcake22

The Juggler
29-03-2012, 09:41 PM
All lovely advice, thankyou!

R.e. a husband who 'understands'....... is this a mandatory requirement!!?????? ;):laughing:

no - lol :laughing: but one who doesn't understand is more of pain in the bum than no partner/hubby at all :laughing:

fluff1975
29-03-2012, 10:10 PM
Amen to cupcake22 and buildingblocks - I'd have given up on day 1 had it not been for this forum.

My 'husband who understands' can quite often be heard saying; 'Why don't you ask your friends on the forum, they'll understand'. :thumbsup:

EmmaReed84
30-03-2012, 05:25 AM
no - lol :laughing: but one who doesn't understand is more of pain in the bum than no partner/hubby at all :laughing:

I am living breathing proof of this! lol

The most important thing to me was to network with other minders and visit them, arrange trips so it is not so lonely, I have 3 minders who I see. It is also good for the children to interact with different people.

Also if you have spaces and they get parents who want care they cannot accomodate they can pass your number and vice versa. Some minders see other minders as competition, I see them as colleagues and a great support.

Oh and a Thermos flask of hot coffee, if you do get a rare 5/10 minutes by the time you have made it and it comes to drinking it, you are busy again and don't see it again until it is cold, this was THE BEST thing I did lol

Weeze1979
31-03-2012, 08:24 AM
Oh and a Thermos flask of hot coffee, if you do get a rare 5/10 minutes by the time you have made it and it comes to drinking it, you are busy again and don't see it again until it is cold, this was THE BEST thing I did lol

I hadn't thought of that.........what a great idea!!!! :clapping:

The Juggler
31-03-2012, 01:15 PM
I hadn't thought of that.........what a great idea!!!! :clapping:

also great for taking to the park :thumbsup: