PDA

View Full Version : Learning the alphabet.

ma7ie
30-05-2008, 01:18 PM
When my eldest daughter (who's now nearly 20) was learning her alphabet, her school used the letterland characters to teach the children.

I want to start teaching youngest dd who's nearly 2½ the alphabet and was wondering what schools use now please?

Thanks

mrsb
30-05-2008, 01:46 PM
our local school that my own children go to learn phonetically (sp?)

I went and asked for a few extra sets of sheets so I could start "teaching" my minded children, you have an action for each "sound" for example the letter E makes the sound e and the action is as if you are cracking an egg.

I'm sure your local school would be happy to give you a copy as well ?

Pipsqueak
30-05-2008, 02:00 PM
Jolly Phonics - you can get the books and dvds in ELC and WHSmith - they are squenced so you are not just teaching a b c d e .

Love doing Nnnnnnn !!!

ma7ie
30-05-2008, 02:15 PM
Thanks Pip. Are there a lot of books that I have to buy?

angeldelight
30-05-2008, 02:28 PM
Some of our schools use different ideas

Why not call your local one and ask them so you know

Angel xx

SimplyLucy
30-05-2008, 03:13 PM
Our local school uses jolly phonics. s a t i p n are the first block they learn and so on. They have little actions that go with each letter.

I have a freeze up in my dining room at the moment because I have 2 school starters in September.

I got my freeze and a load of work books from ELC, I also got a set of finger puppets that the children love to play with, Inky mouse and friends!

When teaching my own children the alphabet I taught them in lower case letters as opposed to capitals.......a b c d insted of A B C D. (That was hard to explain!).

MissTinkerbell
30-05-2008, 04:32 PM
Jolly Phonics.

Also if you go onto teachernet and put in Letters and Sounds you can order a copy of this document which schools use as their guide to teaching phonics.

It gives games and stuff you can use to 'teach' phonics and the suggested order of doing then.

I don't know if you can still get it, but Progression in Phonics is also packed full of activities and games.

miffy
30-05-2008, 04:48 PM
Some of our schools use different ideas

Why not call your local one and ask them so you know

Angel xx

I think that's a good idea

At least you'll know you are using the right scheme

miffy xx

Spangles
30-05-2008, 06:38 PM
My little boy has known the alphabet for a few months now and doesn't even realise!

We always sing the ABC song while we wash our hands because apparently that's the length of time you have to wash them to ensure they are properly clean!

We are now casually just looking at letters as and when he asks about them or shows an interest.

Tatia
31-05-2008, 08:24 AM
You can order the pack Letters and Sounds: Principles and Practice of High Quality Phonics. It's free and tells you the correct order to teach letters and sounds. I just started poking through mine yesterday and it is brilliant.

Where can I get it?

Ref: 00281-2007FLR-EN

Please contact:
DCSF Publications Centre
PO Box 5050, Annesley, Nottingham, NG15 0DJ

Tel: 0845 60 222 60
Fax: 0845 60 333 60
Textphone: 0845 60 555 60
Email: dcsf@prolog.uk.com

mrsb
31-05-2008, 10:54 AM
Thanks for that tatia, I've just ordered one for a friend :D

Cammie Doodle
01-06-2008, 09:12 AM
I have this one too Tatia it is very good . I have spoke to Teachers (who are friends) and PHONICS is the BIGGY these days , the Government is really pushing this . ;)

ajs
01-06-2008, 09:22 AM
don't forget what ever method you are teaching the letters are soft and do not end in er
ie nnnnnn not ner
sssss not ser

that is the newest bug bear of teachers that parents teach the sound with an er on the end

i hope that helps i am sitting her nnnnn ing and nnnering my son and hubby think i am barmy

Cammie Doodle
01-06-2008, 09:23 AM
Jolly Phonics are great for the kids, we do it at Nursery, but the adults find them strange as the Actions dont seem to match the letter ie n is a plane !!!!! (hubby thinks its crazy,) but when you explain it's the noise (phonics) you are teaching and not just the letter it will hopefully make more sense :rolleyes: so nnnnnnnnnnn(the phonic) is the noise the plane makes.
There is more and more Jolly Phonics appearing in the shops now .
I still love letter land I use it quite often when kids need help to spell a word, I find when we have different accents (mine is Scottish) my a's and e's can sound similar when I spell to the kids but with Letterland its annie apple or eddie elephant and nobody gets mixed up ;) So I will still continue to use it, but we are working on Jolly Phonics and learning the actions :laughing:

Tatia
01-06-2008, 09:42 AM
I worry about that, too, June as I have an American accent. I pronounce my As differently (one of many differences) and have to try and remember who I'm teaching. Still, my dd spends more time with me than any other child and she still speaks with a plummy English accent so I guess I/m not causing irrepairable damage to anyone or teaching them to speak like a Yank!:D