PDA

View Full Version : Letter from David Cameron re Ofsted and childminding

Bizzy Mum
28-03-2012, 01:28 PM
Hello!

Some of you know that I recently wrote to David Cameron regarding Ofsted and childminding as I was concerned about childminders leaving due to the focus on paperwork. I have now had a reply and have posted it on my blog

http://www.bizzymumsblog.com/2012/03/letter-from-david-cameron-ofsted-and.html

I would be very interested to know what you think. I think it would be shame to lose more childminders and really do hope things will change.

Thank you for looking :)

Karen

sarah707
28-03-2012, 05:02 PM
Thank you for sharing! :D

rickysmiths
28-03-2012, 05:44 PM
Thank you for sharing but I must say he has kind of passed the buck. The paperwork has been cut for Reception Teachers in schools because the Profile they have to complete has been made much shorter.

With regard to childminders with the publication of the new EYFS yesterday it seems for the most part our work will stay very similar. However it is more for the next few months because we will have to adapt our paperwork and record keeping ready for 1/9/12.

I suspect this will happen again in 3 or 4 years time the same way as it has happened for teachers since the instigation of the National Curriculum which is changed or 'updated' every few years.

This is a politically motivated action because each government needs the means to prove they have 'taken some action' with regard to education and this is one way to do it. There are of course some benefits to the children out of all of this but the work it creates for schools and now childminders is questionable.

Chatterbox Childcare
28-03-2012, 05:50 PM
Thanks for sharing.

I personally like the EYFS and I enjoy the structure that it gives me. I think it has give us a professional status alongside other child carers and although I agree that the paperwork is quite daunting I do think that for childminders to be deregulated would damage both our reputation and put children at risk.

AliceK
28-03-2012, 06:26 PM
Thanks for sharing.

I personally like the EYFS and I enjoy the structure that it gives me. I think it has give us a professional status alongside other child carers and although I agree that the paperwork is quite daunting I do think that for childminders to be deregulated would damage both our reputation and put children at risk.

I have to say as much as I hate the paperwork, or at least the time I need to find to complete it all, I do actually agree with you. I think it would be disasterous for our already mostly inferior reputation if we were deregulated and did not have to work to EYFS

xxxx

rickysmiths
28-03-2012, 06:45 PM
Thanks for sharing.

So do I. I think it gives a focus. I think it is sad that some parents don't see that it is good for us to do and don't see us as at least equal to Day Nurseries. I actually feel the service I have to offer is far better, more varied and more true to real life.

Bizzy Mum
28-03-2012, 07:00 PM
Thank you very much for your replies. :)
I really value the work that childminders do and in no way feel they are not as good as nurseries- I love the personal care that gets offered with a childminder. I think it is fantastic if you are keen to work with the EYFS, but I do know some that find it too much in terms of paperwork etc, but they are fantastic carers. I certainly don't think childminding should be completely deregulated, in fact I think regulation is important, but I think maybe there is too much emphasis on the education/ observation side of things. I would hate more childminders to leave because of the paperwork demands. :)

TooEarlyForGin?
28-03-2012, 08:04 PM
Thank you for sharing but I must say he has kind of passed the buck. The paperwork has been cut for Reception Teachers in schools because the Profile they have to complete has been made much shorter.

With regard to childminders with the publication of the new EYFS yesterday it seems for the most part our work will stay very similar. However it is more for the next few months because we will have to adapt our paperwork and record keeping ready for 1/9/12.

I suspect this will happen again in 3 or 4 years time the same way as it has happened for teachers since the instigation of the National Curriculum which is changed or 'updated' every few years.

This is a politically motivated action because each government needs the means to prove they have 'taken some action' with regard to education and this is one way to do it. There are of course some benefits to the children out of all of this but the work it creates for schools and now childminders is questionable.

Totally agree.

faerielies
28-03-2012, 08:07 PM
i found this very enlightening.
Iam trying to get into childminding and its changed so much, the paperwork is ridiculous. i see the need for some of it but i was a mental health nurse and left as i spent 95% of the shift doing paperwork and the rest with the patients. so far i have been overwhelmed with everything and i am hoping to god it does not go the way that nursing has. i grew up in a childminding house (my mum was one) and i saw what a difference it makes but i also saw how stressful it came towards the end, mainly due to the pressure from ofsted.

miffy
29-03-2012, 07:33 AM
Thanks for sharing.

Did smile at the bit where he said he'd sent it to Michael Gove "in order to raise concerns at the highest level" - thought David Cameron was the highest level :rolleyes:

Miffy xx

Carol
29-03-2012, 04:39 PM
Thanks for sharing.

Did smile at the bit where he said he'd sent it to Michael Gove "in order to raise concerns at the highest level" - thought David Cameron was the highest level :rolleyes:

Miffy xx

Agree :laughing::laughing: But isnt the queen the highest level!!!!!

fluff1975
29-03-2012, 10:02 PM
Ooh interesting. Thanks for sharing.

I wonder if anyone has ever bothered to asked parents what they want from childcare, and why they choose a childminder over a nursery? I doubt it.

I know my parents have chosen me because they don't want their very young children subjected to such a structured setting.

LChurch
30-03-2012, 05:23 PM
I agree, my parents want home from home and like the fact that they go to toddler groups etc and experience normal family life! Even if it is me shouting at my own! I try to keep that to a minimum! Next week I am looking forward to getting out in the garden etc and have fun playing in the garden with them all, although does mean I will be busy sorting garden out as we have just had patio etc built! not enough time really! I do think the revised EYFS is a lot better in that we are recognised as professionals but also recognise wrap around care etc should not be subjected to EYFS planning etc. I have one that I pick up from nursery, by the time she has had lunch there is not a lot of time for anything else although if she wants to practice her letters etc I am not going to stop her!!

rickysmiths
30-03-2012, 07:25 PM
I agree, my parents want home from home and like the fact that they go to toddler groups etc and experience normal family life! Even if it is me shouting at my own! I try to keep that to a minimum! Next week I am looking forward to getting out in the garden etc and have fun playing in the garden with them all, although does mean I will be busy sorting garden out as we have just had patio etc built! not enough time really! I do think the revised EYFS is a lot better in that we are recognised as professionals but also recognise wrap around care etc should not be subjected to EYFS planning etc. I have one that I pick up from nursery, by the time she has had lunch there is not a lot of time for anything else although if she wants to practice her letters etc I am not going to stop her!!

I think by wrap around they mean children in full time school, so Reception children. I would expect to carry on EYFS for a child in my care all afternoon after nursery/preschool.