PDA

View Full Version : Sun cream question

snufflepuff
28-03-2012, 11:13 AM
I remember reading something a few years ago about how you shouldn't use sun cream after 12 months of it being opened, because it won't work as well- so a factor 50 won't actually be factor 50 if it's an old bottle. Not sure if that advise still stands, we all know how things change! Do you buy a new bottle every year? Or do you wait until a bottle is empty before replacing it, even if that takes a few years?

I've always bought DS a new bottle each year, but don't bother for myself.

AliceK
28-03-2012, 11:26 AM
I think the bottles usually have a little symbol on them with a number next to it which tells you how long it is ok for after being opened. Have a look and see if it says 12 or 24 (months)

xxxx

Bridey
28-03-2012, 11:39 AM
I check the back of the bottle and use the info there as my guide.

When I receive a suncream from a parent I quiz them when it was bought/first opened and mark this info on the bottle with a marker pen.

Many years ago I minded a very fair skinned blonde toddler.. After having him here on a sunny day, I received a call from his parents that evening furious that he has been sunburnt. I was really upset as I had smothered him with the cream they provided, he'd worn a hat and t-shirt and he had only been out a short while, mainly in the shade. My son who was the same age had no pinkness at all. The next day they rang again and apologised - the cream they had given me was over 2 years old and they had discovered it had made his skin more photosensitive rather than protecting it.

I don't take any chances anymore.

BucksCM
28-03-2012, 11:41 AM
I think the bottles usually have a little symbol on them with a number next to it which tells you how long it is ok for after being opened. Have a look and see if it says 12 or 24 (months)

xxxx

LOL! Beat me to it!
Just looked at my one and the open lidded symbol has a 12 next to it...so yes, use within 12 months of opening.

I tend to buy and charge the suncream to the business, that way I know i've got it and parents don't have to keep remembering to put it in. If they need me to use a different one I ask them to please provide me with one...that I keep at mine.

snufflepuff
28-03-2012, 03:16 PM
Many years ago I minded a very fair skinned blonde toddler.. After having him here on a sunny day, I received a call from his parents that evening furious that he has been sunburnt. I was really upset as I had smothered him with the cream they provided, he'd worn a hat and t-shirt and he had only been out a short while, mainly in the shade. My son who was the same age had no pinkness at all. The next day they rang again and apologised - the cream they had given me was over 2 years old and they had discovered it had made his skin more photosensitive rather than protecting it.

Eek how scary!

My bottles all say 12 months.

JulieA
28-03-2012, 04:57 PM
I provide sucream myself - unless there is an allergy,in which case parents are to provide a new unopened tube. I then put a sticker on it stating the date it was opened and the date one year on to discard. Parents own creams are handed back to them.

singingcactus
28-03-2012, 05:52 PM
I buy fresh cream at the start of the warm weather every year, and chuck it at the end. I wouldn't like to imagine what nasties could be lurking in a half used bottle 2 years down the line.

SandCastles
01-04-2012, 06:11 PM
I buy fresh cream at the start of the warm weather every year, and chuck it at the end. I wouldn't like to imagine what nasties could be lurking in a half used bottle 2 years down the line.

Same here, there's no point storing a half used tube over the winter.

candlequeen
02-04-2012, 06:56 PM
I have tested this many times over the years, and the protection does decrease slightly over 2 or 3 years, but I reckon comparable to a factor 50 being more like factor 30, so shouldn't be bad enough to cause serious damage. Not something to experiment on the kids with though!