PDA

View Full Version : dilema. Who would you choose?

kel1983
28-03-2012, 07:25 AM
We have had 2 enquiries.

1) Lovely family with 13 month old little boy. Want at least 6 days a month as parents work shifts 8.00 - 5.30. Pros - Have days when it is quieter, full days when little one is with us and we know in advance which days he is with us. Cons - Taking up a full time space, not bringing in much money

2) Family due to come and visit with 15 month old girl. Want 4 days a week 8.15 - 1.45. Pros - More hours than family 1, more money. Cons - Having to be back every day for 1.30 even during the holidays when we will want to go out on outings, could possibly mess up holiday spaces which means we may not be able to offer extra spaces to existing children

Which would you choose? I am so stuck. :(

buzzy bee
28-03-2012, 08:07 AM
I would go with the first one purely based on the fact that I have children who are picked up in the middle of the day and it's a right pain!!

With the shift workers could you charge them a bit more because you're being flexible? Maybe charge them for 8 days a month or something to make up the money a bit...

smurfette
28-03-2012, 08:11 AM
Ooh tough one! Maybe add up the money involved for each one and see can you manage with Enquiry one money wise ... Could you charge them a minimum days per week to keep space open?

Not sure would be too keen on enquiry 2, after all she is also taking up a full
Time space with part time hours .. Although term time you could take on an after schoolie? Then wouldn't affect your numbers? (don't know am in ireland) but I agree would be quite restrictive during the summer I definitely prefer whole days! Good luck hope you find something that fits!

ChocolateChip
28-03-2012, 07:45 PM
Just a personal choice but I would also go with no1, I couldn't be doing with half days in the holidays.

rosebud
28-03-2012, 08:17 PM
I would do the second one as I think the hours are nice (I get tired later in the day), the money is better and if I wanted to be out in the holidays would just ask if I could drop her back home afterwards, this would fall into my short day rate which is only £5 less than my full day rate. The space could be filled later in the day by an after-schooler if you wanted too.

RachelE
28-03-2012, 09:07 PM
Agree with above - if you do go out for a full day, just drop the child off later - no extra cost for you really and at least extra and guarenteed income!

I have dropped cildren off later in the hols - when you balance out how many days you will go out in the hols all day - you may fiond the 2nd child a good option..?

Good luck
Rachel x

miffy
29-03-2012, 06:48 AM
I'd meet the second family before you decide. It depends whether you want regular or ad hoc work.

I wouldn't be keen to tie up a full time space for 6 days a month unless it suits you to do that because you have other regular work.

I also think the hours for the other baby are good, I'm sure you could come to some arrangement with the parents about days out.

Miffy xx

kel1983
29-03-2012, 08:09 AM
Thanks guys for the advice

I think we are going to meet with the 2nd family but pretty much sure we will accept the 1st.

The extra money would be nice but I think it would just work better for us.

I will keep you all updated.