PDA

View Full Version : Best to be honest or vague?

bluebell3
27-03-2012, 09:11 PM
I've got 2 people wanting the same days - that was fine I had space for both. one has been to see me and booked in - coming back next week to sign contracts but she has phoned to say she wants all day not just the morning - this means that the other lady won't be able to send her little one all day as I have another little one that comes alternate weeks just for the afternoon. The second lady was an enquiry as she wanted to speak to work and spoke to me first to see what I had available and it so happened that the 2 days she wanted were the 2 days I had.

It might be that she doesn't get back to me or doesn't want those days or it could be that she arranges with work those 2 days and cancels her little ones pre-school place on that day. I would feel very bad if she did that without speaking to me again.

Is it best to sit and wait and see if she gets back to me? I don't want to turn her away before if we could work something out but don't like the thought of having told her I have space and then actually I don't.

What do you do if you have 2 people wanting the same place? Especially when you don't want to turn anyone away because you need to fill your spaces? I have enquiries all the time but they don't always necessarily come to anything!

The Juggler
27-03-2012, 09:19 PM
if 2 people want the space hon and someone signs contracts, I'd be honest with the other mum/parents. Tell them exactly what you have, that someone has now taken those days (or say a current parent has asked to changed days so they don't feel gesumped) but that you might be willing to apply for variation if they can start on free days and then request continuity of care to extend to the hours and days they need..

bluebell3
27-03-2012, 09:27 PM
oh yes I would definitely be honest with her now!

but I was just wondering whether I should approach her to tell her or wait and see if she comes back to me anyway and then go from there.

My question about vagueness was about when people approach - do you say yes I have space but there's no way in hell I'm keeping it open for you if someone else gets there first? (except more politely ?)

The Juggler
27-03-2012, 09:34 PM
oh yes I would definitely be honest with her now!

but I was just wondering whether I should approach her to tell her or wait and see if she comes back to me anyway and then go from there.

My question about vagueness was about when people approach - do you say yes I have space but there's no way in hell I'm keeping it open for you if someone else gets there first? (except more politely ?)

haha well I've often invented a parent who has "visited" or "wants to sign" to chiivy up my ditherers.

i'd phone other mum out of politeness and let her know the change hon.:)

Mummits
28-03-2012, 06:21 AM

I do just that. I say these are the spaces I have as of today, but of course I get enquiries all the time. If you decide to reserve a place, we will need to sit down and do contracts and you will need to provide a deposit, and I will then of course tell anyone else who comes along that your place is taken.

I have had a few occasions where people have visited, dithered about a bit and then said they wanted a place, and sometimes it has still been okay, others too late. I have also learned the hard way that it is often the ones who seem most positive and perfect are the ones who disappear without trace. I wouldn't now put anyone else off until I have a contract and a deposit.

miffy
28-03-2012, 06:29 AM
If you've told the mum one thing but it's now changed then I would phone and let her know - it really depends what you said to her in the first place.

Miffy xx

Bushpig
30-03-2012, 08:34 AM
haha well I've often invented a parent who has "visited" or "wants to sign" to chiivy up my ditherers.

i'd phone other mum out of politeness and let her know the change hon.:)

'Inventing' people who want to sign... you're sounding like an estate agent... that's what they do!!! :rolleyes::p