PDA

View Full Version : advice stubborn 9 year old

adele1985
27-03-2012, 09:01 PM
Ive got mindee every night this week over night shes 9 and very head strong

she went to bed fine last night (at 8.30) sleeps with the light on which is fine as i just close the door - i cheacked on her at 9 to tell her it was time for sleep (she reads or plays for half an hour before sleep) took 4 times of sayings T, its time for bed now put your doll away please for her to take notice she finally did

Cheacked on her again at 9.30 she was sat playing with the doll:rolleyes: told her again firmly it was bed time at this point she was in a stop which i ignored and told her to go to sleep

Cheacked on her at 10 and she was a asleep (thankfully - i was shatterd and wanted to go to sleep my self)

Tonight she went to bed at 8.30 i went up at 9 again had to tell her 4 times before she listend and put her book down

at 9.20 she appeard in the frount room saying she couldent sleep - I took her back up stairs in a strop and shes currently still awake (just cheaked)

My question is what would you do if she point blank refused to go back to bed (if she was younger and smaller i would just pick her up and take her to bed) but thats not really an option lol

Any suggestions???

Tatjana
28-03-2012, 01:18 PM
Tell her it's not a choice, she needs and must go to bed.

clareelizabeth1
28-03-2012, 01:42 PM
No experience of dealing with this myself. But if I could not sleep then I was given a book and told I could read but I was not aloud to get out off bed. I pushed it a few times trying to stay up till midnight but once I realised there was no point I read for 20mins and then fell asleep. Might be worth a try if you can trust her not to wander the house in the night

Bridey
28-03-2012, 03:39 PM
Tell her that the light goes off at 9pm and playing and reading stops. Then give her the choice to go upstairs earlier if she would like longer to read or play.

What about a nice long walk before bedtime to wear her out? No tv/computer games just before bed, nice bath, warm milk? Have you asked the parents about her routine at home?

I used to find it hard to settle in a strange bed/house when I was a child. You can switch the light off and take her book away but you can't actually force her to fall asleep.

merry
28-03-2012, 04:57 PM
At 9 my dd was a bit like this at bedtimes, I just let her read/play/whatever as long as she stayed in her room and was quiet. She soon learned that if she stayed up too late she'd be tired and miserable the next day. As for refusing point blank to go back to her room, if a VERY firm voice and guiding her upstairs don't work, then talk to parents, or go to your own bedroom so there's no one downstairs for her to pester :laughing:

:)

adele1985
28-03-2012, 05:24 PM
Thanks everyone
The firm voice worked she got back into bed (still ina strop) i left her to it she was aleep within 15 mins of laying down :rolleyes:

I think she just likes to see how far to go before i give in (it hasent happend yet :)