PDA

View Full Version : A question for those of you that Don't hate sand

Tealady
27-03-2012, 09:01 AM
Sand Pit or Sand Table?

Also any recommendations? I don't want to get a cheapy cheap one but don't really want to pay out for a high end one, as I only have one mindee and my own two so economies of scale and all that!

stardust
27-03-2012, 09:10 AM
I have a sand pit and an activity table I sometime fill with sand.
It depends on what you can put up with really.

Sandpit- children crawl and sit in it, ends up all over the grass, in their shoes and walked indoors. It's low down and can be a pain to empty/ clean. Accessible by most.

Table- the sand gets thrown from a higher height so ends up further a field. Encourages standing and can be used by all except babies. Can be used for other things.

Both- sand in the house, sandypooy nappies when the eat it, gets spread around.

I prefer my sand pit as I can just take the lid off check and they can Play without too much fuss as the lid closes with buckets ect inside. Plus I use the lid/ other half to put hay, balls or a little water In xx

Chimps Childminding
27-03-2012, 09:13 AM
I bought a sand pit, but have to admit then thought better of it and decided I didn't want sand in clothes, nappies etc. So have gone back to the sand table we had in the first place!!!

mushpea
27-03-2012, 09:20 AM
I have a tuff spot with stand, sometimes we have sand somtimes we have other things like rice crispies, oats, soil etc, I prefer this because i can change what I put in it and it only takes half a bag of sand as as pose to 5 or 6 bags plus I have cats so if i forget to put the lid on I dont have to throw as much away

loocyloo
27-03-2012, 09:26 AM
i have a sand table. i like it, as its off the ground!

although i do also sometimes have sand in the tuff tray. esp so tiddlies can access it!

sometimes i use the sand table for water play. actually, i'd like ANOTHER table, so i can have both!

my sand table came from elc 9 yrs ago and is solid & sturdy.

Hayley102
27-03-2012, 09:40 AM
I have a sand pit with a lid that goes on over night. I find all my lo and some schoolies use it for a variety of activities. I do prefer dry sand rather than the cakes my dd likes to make in the sand with the lo! Don't know why i have that preference!

tialil
27-03-2012, 10:50 AM
I have a sand table which I have had for about 8 years, its a basic one with 2 sides which I bought from woolies. I either have sand or water in it. I have in the past put a cheap tapoulin/plastic sheet down and covered it in sand so best of both without the expense of both. :laughing:

gegele
27-03-2012, 10:52 AM
i have a big sand pit dug out in garden with door that close back on it so i don't lose floor space when not in use :D great for bigger ones who can join in, little one are IN the sand pit... :thumbsup:

i have a table triangle with 3different compartment that i use with colour sand and others stuff and or water. it has a lid and can be usse indoor

and i have a water/sand table which folds up...

i tend to let toddlers go in sandpit and use sand table on floor with babies so tehy don't get attack by flying sand and i can monitor the amount of sand they eat:laughing::laughing::laughing:

onceinabluemoon
27-03-2012, 11:04 AM
sand table, raised so accessible to children in wheelchairs.

buzzy bee
27-03-2012, 11:14 AM
I asked this very question about a year ago and went with a table. I got one off ebay but I noticed the other day they have one quite cheap in Argos.

It's brilliant cos all the kids can stand around it and play. They love it. I alternate between sand and water and in the colder months I use it for spaghetti and things.

Jods
27-03-2012, 11:24 AM
I have a sand pit with canopy £39 from Lidl, just a tip though, buy Kiln Dried silver sand its the same grade and quality as play pit sand, but half the price (OH works for a timber merchants so for me its £1.60 a bag!!)

pinkellifun
27-03-2012, 11:44 AM
I have a Bob the Builder sand table that has a lid which can be taken off and used as another lower down table. I tend to use the higher one with sand and the lower one with water. I also have a little ramp that goes down to the water one. That way when cars (i.e.) have been in the sand, they can then go down the ramp into the water and are washed! My son loves it.

singingcactus
27-03-2012, 12:38 PM
We have a little plastic table (£4.99 kind) that DH cut a hole into. We drop a washing up basin into the hole and fill it with sand or whatever. Easy to clean, easy to bring in at night - just grab bowl and bring in.

JCrakers
27-03-2012, 12:52 PM
http://www.kidsplaystore.co.uk/step2-naturally-playfull-sand-table-mag-to-check-918-p.asp

I have this one and its lasted nearly 5 yrs and still going strong. Cant remember how much I paid for it. The kids love to stand and play and then also they dont get it all in their clothes :D

The Juggler
27-03-2012, 01:10 PM
table otherwise it gets in their pants :laughing:

i've had the ELC table since 2005 and just replacing it now

primula
27-03-2012, 05:20 PM
Only have a couple of unders 3's, so I use the sand and water thingy from ELC, need a new one had it forever!

Mouse
27-03-2012, 05:31 PM
I prefer a sand table.

I line the table with a piece of plastic shower curtain, then fill it with sand. Before I put the lid on, I fold the shower curatain over the top & tuck the sand in. It helps prevent creepy crawlies getting into it!

watgem
27-03-2012, 05:38 PM
I have a sand pit, its an elc one that I had when mine were little, so its about 20 years old now and still in fab condition. inside I have a cat litter tray for sand which I lay on a big cloth, we keep the dustpan and brush close by indoors and out for the LO's to sweep up their own spills and I sweep outside up everyday and hoover inside after

kel1983
27-03-2012, 05:47 PM
We have a sand tray we bought from mothercare a few years ago. it hs two sections so we could have water one side and sand the other

The cons though are that there is holes in the four corners which the children tip sand into and then it starts to trickle out the legs. Also has a lid which is not at all water proof which we found out the first time we used it.

I hate sand. even though we have a table the children still insist on transporting the sand to other places in the garden. Last year we had hidden in the playhouse, thrown across the decking and very often find it in hair, shoes and nappys.

My mum (cominder) loves the sand. She sweeps around the sand tray every night and sives it and every friday fills the sand pit (still full of sand) with hot water. :eek: she is very weird.

loocyloo
27-03-2012, 07:28 PM
every few weeks, IF there is still sand left in the sand table :laughing: i pour a couple of litres of made up sterilising solution into it.