PDA

View Full Version : Slow Start

Newbie2012
26-03-2012, 07:46 PM
Please can anyone help guide me with this process! I feel like I am going round in circles, not finding the answers I need!
I have my first aid booked for later this week and keep reading things on line. One link gave me a contact number for Family Info Service & when I called all they could give me was Prospective Childminding Pack, told me to call someone else & they referred me to first people!!
I want to know what training is needed, where do I get help from, do I qualify for funding, are packs sent to you or downloaded??
Dont want to give up, but struggling with lack of help :(

The Juggler
26-03-2012, 08:46 PM
personally hon, I'd postpone your first aid - if you can. it's only valid 3 year and the registration process can take up to 6 months so you might have lost 1/2 year before you start.

you need to contact your local early years team but lots of areas now are only offering breifing sessions every few months. You CAN do it directly with ofsted. LA's don't like this but if they can't support you to register quickly - go for it!

However, what I would do is see if your early years team can tell you about numbers of minders at present/how many have vacancies, are they being filled etc, etc.

good luck hon.

maluvsya89
26-03-2012, 08:55 PM
i didnt feel very supportive untill i had a call from a childcare development officer and she was great she got me funding for all my courses, fees and equipment i needed etc and my drs fees!! you could always nip down your local childrens centre and talk to people there, they help out alot to and our local one run a childminding group.
the courses u need to do are safegaurding and first aid
i went on to my local food buisness council site and did it that way
and i used this forum to help out to.
good luck x

BucksCM
26-03-2012, 09:41 PM
I'm sure that first aid is now required to be completed before ofsted registration?

The Juggler
26-03-2012, 09:48 PM
it does now I'm sure but if the OP hasn't even attended a briefing session yet the whole process can take a while and I would def. wait ntil nearer the time.

you'll ideally need the 2 briefing sessions, send forms to ofsted, wait for crb checks, attend first aid, get medical certficate and complete ICP course.

funding for the courses is not always available now - I think it costs about £150.

maluvsya89
27-03-2012, 04:37 PM
I had to do my first and before I sent my forms off to ofsted. I know the funding is new in our area I was one of first to get it :s x