PDA

View Full Version : Should we be expected to provide sun hats?

nipper
26-03-2012, 12:40 PM
Well it's a beautiful day and already one mindee has forgotten cream and sun hat. Whilst I would prefer parents to provide the sun cream wherever possible and I apply it, should I now invest in a range of different size hats in case they forget theirs?
I have been looking at those legionnaire type ones with the long backs.

Mouse
26-03-2012, 12:48 PM
I keep a supply of hats here. It's one of those battles that I'm not bothered about fighting! If parents put hats in, then great, if not, I use one of mine.
It's not something I even think about.

As for suncream, I buy a big bottle at the beginning of the summer and get permission from all parents to say I can us it on their child. It makes it so much easier than having lots of named bottles about. Again, it's not something I have to do, but it's something I don't stress about.

QualityCare
26-03-2012, 12:50 PM
Parents always supply a sun hat but occasionally they get forgot or left in the car so l keep a couple of spare unisex ones, l always ask parents to leave a bottle of sun cream with me if their child has sensitive skin otherwise l use one of my own with parents permission.

JulieA
26-03-2012, 12:50 PM
I do have a box of various things like sun hats, wellies, crocs, pack-a-macs, hats & gloves in a variety of sizes. However these are things that my own children have grown out of over the years - one boy and one girl very handy!

At least we can still go out if anyone does forget to bring their own.

The Juggler
26-03-2012, 01:01 PM
no we shouldn't. however, we have to keep them safe and rather than everyone have to miss out because we can't stay in the sun long I'd rather keep my own supply here so everyone can get out in the sun.

mummyof3
26-03-2012, 01:02 PM
All 3 of my mindees have arrived this morning with NO sun hats, NO sun cream, NO spare sets of clothes and one of them in a jumper and jeans :eek:

All will be sent home tonight with a note in the daily diary and also parents will be told at collection I need them all for tomorrow.

christine e
26-03-2012, 01:07 PM
Parents normally send but to be honest I prefer to use my own that way if they get left behind somewhere and become lost I don't stress over it! (that's the hats not the children):laughing:

Chimps Childminding
26-03-2012, 01:09 PM
I have spares that I keep here incase a child comes without one! You can pick them up quite cheaply especially at the end of the summer (same with hats and gloves at the end of the winter). I also have a bottle of suncream should lo not have one in their bag, but ask parents to send one incase a child has sensitive skin but I would check with mum if there is none in the bag before applying mine!!

AliceK
26-03-2012, 01:22 PM
I keep a supply of hats here. It's one of those battles that I'm not bothered about fighting! If parents put hats in, then great, if not, I use one of mine.

As for suncream, I buy a big bottle at the beginning of the summer and get permission from all parents to say I can us it on their child. It makes it so much easier than having lots of named bottles about. Again, it's not something I have to do, but it's something I don't stress about.

Same here. I have lots of hats and state in my contracts that I will supply sun cream unless a parent wants a specific brand in which case they will need to supply it themselves. It's easier if i do it all then I don't have to worry about parents forgetting.

xxxx

mushpea
26-03-2012, 04:37 PM
we shouldnt be expected to but I did buy some last year of amazon, I got 10 adjustable baseball hats very cheaply then just wrote ' donnas childminding' on them with my phone number , I only use them if the children forget theirs and if for some reason I have more children than spare hats then non of the children go outside.
I used to have 3 siblings that never had cream or hats, after not being allowed in the garden one day or having to stay in the shade they moaned to their mum who then rememberd cream but still forgot hats so i just gave in and bought some.

amanda1309
26-03-2012, 04:43 PM

This is exactly what I do :)

tialil
26-03-2012, 06:23 PM
Parents should really provide hats but I have a variety of spare hats now due to keep asking and not having them sent. Getting them in the past to wear them is another task.

As for suncream I do keep a bottle here to share but would prefer parents to apply before coming and to send a bottle along. Again a lot of parents always seem to forget to apply the cream meaning a lot of time in the summer holidays we miss the train due to having a 3-4 kiddies to apply cream too.

flowerpots
26-03-2012, 06:30 PM
I do have a box of various things like sun hats, wellies, crocs, pack-a-macs, hats & gloves in a variety of sizes. However these are things that my own children have grown out of over the years - one boy and one girl very handy!

At least we can still go out if anyone does forget to bring their own.

Ive got exactly the same. :D

onceinabluemoon
26-03-2012, 06:40 PM
its not worth the stress of nagging and getting cross when they don't come with them so i supply hats, cream and sunsuits (we live near the beach)

Monkey26
26-03-2012, 06:52 PM
I've developed a several "spares" box over the years... hats (winter and summer), gloves, tshirts, pants etc - the majority of which has been donated or picked up very cheaply at carboots, washed at a high temp and stored until needed.

I did actively purchase full splash suits (we live by the beach so can go all year round without worrying about ruining clothes etc), a set of red baseballs caps (cheap when woolworths closed down!) and logo'd tshirts for busy days in the holidays

xx