PDA

View Full Version : to cream or not to cream??

mushpea
26-03-2012, 09:34 AM
well the kids are in the garden and its beautiful weather,, its 20 degrees acording to our garden thermometer, now if this was June I'd be slapping on the ol suncream but some how cause its march it dosent seem right! I dont know why the sun must be as strong now as it is in June cause its similar tempreature and one of the dads this morning said his child has cream on and she came with a hat yet the other child has no cream and no hat.
what do you think folks,, is it suncream time in March when its 20degrees?

adele1985
26-03-2012, 09:52 AM
well the kids are in the garden and its beautiful weather,, its 20 degrees acording to our garden thermometer, now if this was June I'd be slapping on the ol suncream but some how cause its march it dosent seem right! I dont know why the sun must be as strong now as it is in June cause its similar tempreature and one of the dads this morning said his child has cream on and she came with a hat yet the other child has no cream and no hat.

i think i would hun. i was in the garden for a about an hour yesterday (3pm) cutting the grass and although i didnt burn i did go very pink lol

Mouse
26-03-2012, 09:53 AM
That's a good question.

My mindees have still been in long sleeved tops & long trousers or tights, so it hasn't really been necessary. Also, I understand it is important for them to get some sun on their cream free skin to expose them to vitamin D (is it vit D?) from the sunlight.

I don't think I'd bother at the moment, but I'd be interested to see what others say.

~Grasshopper~
26-03-2012, 09:56 AM
i have been thinking the same thing. its a little chilly outside at the moment so everyone has little fleeces on but im going to dig out the sun hats for this afternoon x

handeme
26-03-2012, 10:05 AM
I was thinking the same, my garden is still partially and the little ones have long sleeves on. I am thinking of sending a note home tonight asking for sun hats and cream to be brought for the rest of the week, just incase.

mushpea
26-03-2012, 10:12 AM
You will get the vit D from the sun if you are in it anyway an whilst I belive by being exposed to the sun we build up a resistance to it Im also concerned about the harmful UV rays on children an don't want to send them home burnt,
it can be very deciving if there is a breeze too as I have been burnt in April with a cool breeze blowing

Milli147
26-03-2012, 11:07 AM
i would say - if in doubt, err on the side of caution! :)

Mouse
26-03-2012, 11:46 AM
You will get the vit D from the sun if you are in it anyway an whilst I belive by being exposed to the sun we build up a resistance to it Im also concerned about the harmful UV rays on children an don't want to send them home burnt,
it can be very deciving if there is a breeze too as I have been burnt in April with a cool breeze blowing

There are reports that children are suffering a lack of vit d because they are either always covered up or covered in sun cream.

Having been out in the garden this morning though, the sun is quite hot and I would be putting cream on the children if they were here today.

miffy
26-03-2012, 12:25 PM
Two of my parents have sent sun cream today but their lo's are in long sleeved tops so not too sure where I'm supposed to apply it! :laughing:

It is hot outside though and my garden will be in full sun this afternoon so I will apply to faces, back of neck and arms if they have their sleeves rolled up.

Miffy xx

mushpea
26-03-2012, 01:11 PM
well mine are back in the garden and it is definatly hot enough to burn, the 2yrold has one of my spare hats on and I have put him in long sleves and the 4yrold has her own hat and long sleves, dad said he applied cream this morning but that will be no good by now. gonna tell all parents to send hats and cream just in case as this silly weather cant make up its mind!

got-it girls
26-03-2012, 01:30 PM
is this sunshine our summer??....I don't want to blink and miss it as I have done in previous years lol.......:rolleyes:

samb
26-03-2012, 07:55 PM
I was surprised to find suncream in mindees bag today (because they often forget mid summer when I ask lol) mine also had long sleeves etc and so I put it on faces. Didn't put any on my own son though!

onceinabluemoon
26-03-2012, 08:32 PM
I was out in the sun yesterday and got very lightly burnt, so yes I would be putting suntan lotion on the LOs who are out in it. We use factor 30

Becci26
27-03-2012, 06:40 AM
Yes I would be applying sun cream, it is definitely warm enough for children to burn as I am tanning away nicely :thumbsup:
I sent a note out on my newsletter that I will be applying sun cream to mindees and permission forms need to be signed, also asked them to bring hats, as well as wellies and coats because the this countries weather is so unpredictable :laughing:

snufflepuff
27-03-2012, 07:42 AM
We were out in the garden yesterday and the children were fine without cream- they had hats though. It's meant to be a bit hotter today though so I might put some cream on. I don't like to be too hasty in slapping the cream on as it does them good to be exposed to a bit of sun....but obviously when it's someone else's child you do have to be a bit more cautious.

Mouse
27-03-2012, 08:33 AM
is this sunshine our summer??....I don't want to blink and miss it as I have done in previous years lol.......:rolleyes:

I'm making the most of it now, just to be on the safe side!

PixiePetal
27-03-2012, 08:46 AM
Yes you can burn at this time of year - we holiday in Cornwall and all family except me have burnt in March/April. DHs receding hairline burns on the baldy bits :laughing: and his and DS ears blister. DD burns at the slightest bit of sun so we always go prepared. I sit in the shade, don't like hot sun so am the only one who avoids it :)

My garden has sun and shade and we move about when I am minding to get some shade

Bushpig
27-03-2012, 10:30 AM

Absolutely! Twas very sunny yesterday. It doesn't matter what MONTH it is, it matters what TEMPERATURE it is. Hat and sun cream (reapplied too through the day) time :thumbsup: