PDA

View Full Version : Planning & assessment

pinklady756
26-03-2012, 08:54 AM
I currently do group planning each month with notes specific to individual children. I'm in the process of becoming accredited and my development worker wants me to do things differently.

When they talk about termly planning and assessment what do they mean? Like the school terms? Which is 6 but you have all the holidays too, so I'm a bit confused.

She wants termly individual planning focusing on 1 next step for each of the 6 areas, then an formal assessment at the end of each term.

I'm currently doing assessment every 3 months and monthly planning including as many of the next steps as a can.

Been told my learning journeys have too much in them as well. They are supplied to us and split into the 6 areas, been told that I shouldn't be linking obs to other areas as it's not necessary, observation should be focused on the particular aspect or development matters statement.

Also, how many observations should I be doing? I've been made to feel like I'm being excessive and I'm just wondering what everyone else does.

sarah707
26-03-2012, 05:03 PM
Planning is not prescriptive like that :panic:

What you are doing is fine - you are following children's interests and learning styles with activities you know they will enjoy.

Stick to your guns! :D