PDA

View Full Version : Fuel Strikes

Greengrass74
26-03-2012, 06:41 AM
Morning all

With the possibility of tanker drivers going on strike and the lack of fuel, does anyone have plans regarding school runs, drop off/pickup etc.

I was working for the NHS the last time there was fuel shortages and we had to put loads in place, but not sure what to do regarding childminding.

Was anyone childminding last time this happened and did you put anything in place?

My concern is not being able to get to school to drop off/collect (to far too walk).

Tam's Tribe
26-03-2012, 06:53 AM
These fuel strikes upset me more than most as the one in 2000 put my husband's haulage business out of business . . . he had 10 wagons and we just didnt have the cash flow to survive as we were still building the business . . . it was doing well but we just couldnt sustain it!! :angry:

He has now started up on a much smaller scale, owner driver but he is National and International Haulage . . . this time around we will be able to sustain the downtime if there is no fuel but only as my childminding business will continue and pay the bills . . . we can walk to school but I thought it was going to be over the Easter School holidays which is frustrating as I am so busy and like to go out and about everyday, especially over the school holidays. :angry:

I also want to go and visit my sister over Easter in Scotland but dont think we can go if there is no fuel :angry:

I am just gonna try and keep our truck, my 9 seater bus and our personal car topped up with fuel!!

Hope it doesnt affect us all too much!!!

Roseolivia
26-03-2012, 07:04 AM
Luckily we live in a small village so school is 2 minute walk. If it's in the Easter hols i'll be stuck as we don't have a proper bus service and we live 4miles out of town down country roads with no paths so cannot walk into town or anywhere. Just going to have to keep car full.

PixiePetal
26-03-2012, 07:08 AM
I don't drive bus if buses are affected I will be stuck at home.

If it is at Easter we will be on holiday in UK so hope we can keep filled and get home again :(

sarahjane
26-03-2012, 07:21 AM
I've missed this one completely! Are there actual dates that are planned or is this speculation at the moment?

rickysmiths
26-03-2012, 07:33 AM
Its worrying isn't it. Last time dh could walk to work because we lived less than a mile from his work, we now live 10 miles away and I advised him this morning to keep his tank topped up for now!

Fortunately last time as a cm I also walked to school and walked to all toddler groups. Now I refuse to drive to schools for pick up and drop off mainly because I would be stuck in bad weather (we live at the top of a hill) of if the car broke down. The only school I go to is a walk away but I don't have any drop offs at present.

I am lucky because I can walk to toddlers and although i take and collect my son from High School he can go on his bike or walk if needs be.

Not sure how you cover drop offs that have to be driven, unfortunately I don't suppose childminders will count as a priority for fuel. I know teachers didn't last time.

PixiePetal
26-03-2012, 07:40 AM
Its worrying isn't it. Last time dh could walk to work because we lived less than a mile from his work, we now live 10 miles away and I advised him this morning to keep his tank topped up for now!

Fortunately last time as a cm I also walked to school and walked to all toddler groups. Now I refuse to drive to schools for pick up and drop off mainly because I would be stuck in bad weather (we live at the top of a hill) of if the car broke down. The only school I go to is a walk away but I don't have any drop offs at present.

I am lucky because I can walk to toddlers and although i take and collect my son from High School he can go on his bike or walk if needs be.

Not sure how you cover drop offs that have to be driven, unfortunately I don't suppose childminders will count as a priority for fuel. I know teachers didn't last time.

Hadn't thought of my own kids - they are 4-5 miles away from school/college so not really walking distance both ways every day. They usually go by bus. Occasionally DD walks home over the South Downs - takes 1.5 hours at least over rough/steep terrain and I am not keen of her doing it alone anyway

we will see :(:(

kel1983
26-03-2012, 08:04 AM
this wont really effect us much. We live in a city where it is a 10 minute walk to the school and town. We are surrounded by parks so can easily just walk.

We are planning on getting out over the easter holidays but if we cant we will just be taking picnics out to local parks.

I do feel for those who it will effect

caz3007
26-03-2012, 08:11 AM
I dont drive but we were planning on using the bus in the holidays to get out and about, but hey ho we can walk with the buggy piled up with lunch etc and take our time. We have lots of small playparks within about at 15 min walk.

But we have a hotel booked for a family party on Easter Saturday, so think will get hubby to fill up the car when I get paid at the end of the week just in case and insist he walks to work, its not far, but he is lazy about it

Mouse
26-03-2012, 08:12 AM
I'm fortunate in that everything here is within walking distance, but it will be more difficult for DH getting to work.

Last time I was minding the children of a midwife and she was able to get fuel, so could still get the children to me. This time round it would cause problems for one family who live much further away.

I know last time, as a family, we cut right down on using the car. It's surprising how it makes you think about all those little trips you take for granted.

christine e
26-03-2012, 08:24 AM
I've missed this one completely! Are there actual dates that are planned or is this speculation at the moment?

It is pure speculation - news story yesterday that government are training up troops to deliver fuel IF the tanker drivers vote in favour of strike action

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2012/mar/25/army-standby-petrol-tanker-strike?newsfeed=true

Media hype!

Cx

flowerpots
26-03-2012, 08:36 AM
It wont affect me or the minding but dh needs to get to work by car so wont be able to if there isnt any fuel. :(

singingcactus
26-03-2012, 08:42 AM
It is pure speculation - news story yesterday that government are training up troops to deliver fuel IF the tanker drivers vote in favour of strike action

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2012/mar/25/army-standby-petrol-tanker-strike?newsfeed=true

Media hype!

Cx

Yay, serving personnel to the rescue again. Along with official deployments over seas and at home, training, security at the olympics, keeping fuel stations filled so people can go on holiday etc we are lucky to even see our other halves. So we don't need to worry about having no fuel cos we're stuck at home without our family members. Wonder when our guys will be called in to put out fires again....

caz3007
26-03-2012, 08:55 AM
Yay, serving personnel to the rescue again. Along with official deployments over seas and at home, training, security at the olympics, keeping fuel stations filled so people can go on holiday etc we are lucky to even see our other halves. So we don't need to worry about having no fuel cos we're stuck at home without our family members. Wonder when our guys will be called in to put out fires again....

Whilst our troops do a fantastic job, and I certainly wouldnt want to be a service wife but surely thats what you sign up for when you marry/live with someone who is in the forces.

singingcactus
26-03-2012, 09:07 AM
Whilst our troops do a fantastic job, and I certainly wouldnt want to be a service wife but surely thats what you sign up for when you marry/live with someone who is in the forces.

No, it's not. We sign up for them serving as military personnel. Not as firemen, fuel tanker drivers, olympic security guards!!!

We are well aware that they do a dangerous job, and they will be away serving in combat zones. What we do not accept is that every time some body else decides to go on strike it's okay cos the military will be called in to fill the gap. And this is always during the few months a year we are actually supposed to be able to see our loved ones. Bearing in mind there is no extra pay for this, and it usually ends up costing US money as a family.

therealbear
26-03-2012, 07:41 PM
Its easy. keep your car full of fuel. That should be what you should be doing anyway, and if it is anything like last protests are any other protests over fuel,. will only last a day or two. Typical of this country all talk and no action, we moan and groan but never do anything about it.