PDA

View Full Version : Should I ignore?

Rosy Days
25-03-2012, 03:39 PM
Hi all, I've just read a post on here about an lo who screams for attention and it got me thinking about the lo that I care for at the moment. She is 14 month old, I've cared for her since 6 months, she is a lovely lo, never had any probs settling in and has basically been a joy to care for. She is an only child and recently I've noticed she has been getting abit demanding of my attention, for example, if I am paying other children attention she will start crying and wanting me to look at her, if I am changing a baby on the mat on the floor, she will start to cry and come over and try to get on my knee and make eye contact, doesn't like other children sat on my knee etc and will try to push them off so she can get on, even if I am speaking to another adult she will start crying and want picking up. Unsure if it is just a phase she is going through but wanted to ask how best to deal with it? :)

breezy
25-03-2012, 04:58 PM
Explain to her why she cant have your attention at that moment ie nappy changing another child and then ignore any further noise:laughing:
If she tries to push another child off your lap, give them a knee each or again explain so and so is having a cuddle now you can have one when we've finished! Then ignore! If you're talking to another adult explain she has to wait, I know shes still young, but she will learn. Oh and heaps of praise when she manages to share you without a fuss :thumbsup:

sillysausage
25-03-2012, 07:51 PM
I'm in agreement with Breezy. Simple explanations of why she needs to be patient and then acknowledgement/praise when she has managed to wait. It would depend how long she had to wait as to whether I would ignore any further demands or whether I would repeat that she needs to wait a little longer (might depend on how much of a disturbance she's creating). I also try to distract by saying 'why don't you look at this book/play with this toy whilst I am doing.......'