PDA

View Full Version : When parents come to collect, do you have children that don't want to go home....

clorogue
25-03-2012, 10:42 AM
and I see the parents face drop - because they would love a greeting. I always reassure them by saying that they love having the fun with the other children etc

It happens so often - I feel sorry for the parents, but like they say it is also reassuring to know they are having a great time! They are wonderful parents - particularly the first time mums find this difficult.

Bluebell
25-03-2012, 10:48 AM
yes - I have this and its really embarrassing!
On the other side of it my eldest used to do this when he went to a childminder so I was glad he was happy there!
Its hard because sometimes they are overtired and playing the mum up - almost like a punishment but other times they are just engrossed in what they are doing.
I've found if I warn them its nearly time to go home and get their shoes on ready its a bit easier - also make sure all activities are finished up and we are not in the middle of something!

clorogue
25-03-2012, 11:24 AM
Yes I warn them too, but as I often say when the child sees the parents at the end of the day they can act like that. THey have been the most wonderful child here but with a combination of tiredness and 'unconditional love' by their parents - it is a classic that they 'play them up' when they arrive at the door. I have a great system in place and I tell every parent that when they are due to arrive, the child is ready at the door - no going back in to play. It has worked so well over the years - and stops things getting out of control when the parent arrives. Even from a young baby I do this, to signal the end of the day - but sometimes they still don't want to go home!

singingcactus
25-03-2012, 11:28 AM
lol, yes. I think it's quite normal. Wouldn't worry about it.

kel1983
25-03-2012, 03:08 PM
yes. Its must be horrid for the parent in a way but in another it proves they are having a good time here.

mrs robbie williams
25-03-2012, 04:11 PM
my schoolies never want to go home :laughing::laughing: but then their dad is a bit of a :censored: so i dont really blame them :rolleyes:

kellib
25-03-2012, 06:49 PM
I have an LO who Mum has to practically drag out the door, he barely even notices her coming in some days :laughing:

BUT Mum is delighted with this as it means he's settled and happy here and she doesn't need to worry about him while he's with me :thumbsup:

ninagee
25-03-2012, 08:26 PM
My DS6 was going to a childminder when he was around 2.5 years old and I had to physically prise his hands from the front door frame to take him home.

It still makes me chuckle thinking about it now :laughing:

Nina :)

Chimps Childminding
25-03-2012, 08:34 PM
I have 1 schoolie who only comes for an hour after school and her mum has to literally drag her away as they (we have 4 school aged girls aged 5 and 7) have usually just got into whatever they are doing when the mum arrives - bless her I think the mindee thinks she is missing out :(

miffy
25-03-2012, 09:15 PM
I remember when my ds went to a childminder he used to run upstairs and hide under one of the beds when I went to get him!

Miffy xx

Daftbat
26-03-2012, 06:37 AM
Yes Me Too!!!!! You should take it as a comliment really. The parents I work with laugh about it and we use the phrase "if you don't go home how can you come back again?" On the otherhand I am completely aware that the children are generally having fun with the other children at my house and its not completely down to my irrestistable charms!:rolleyes:

onceinabluemoon
26-03-2012, 08:35 AM
Yes, this happens sometimes. Usually its just because a child is really engrossed in his play and doesn't want to stop it. When parents are due I usually do the shoes on, coats ready routine, but if they come dearly this can't be done and they're likely to have a fuss, lol.

I just remind parents that it shows they are happy to be here. :)

WibbleWobble
26-03-2012, 09:16 AM
i get this too...

but i also have two los (sibs) who push mummy out of the door when she drops them off....youngest says "go now mummy, we want to play"....he tries to close the front door on her!:laughing:

Nicky
26-03-2012, 12:08 PM
yes I too get this....personally I think it does reassure the parents that the children are very happy here. It would be nice sometimes though if they went without a fuss!