PDA

View Full Version : Daily safety checks?

jadavi
25-03-2012, 08:43 AM
Hi I am being assessed for my diploma nvq 3 and the assessor says she needs to see my daily safety check lists and logs.
Is it ok to tell her I don't write this down? I do it automatically every day and see no point in a tick box just for me ....
Is this wrong?

miffy
25-03-2012, 08:47 AM
I have a list of everything I check daily but I don't sign each day to say I've checked it, I don't see the point in that - what I do is make a note if anything is wrong, needs doing and what I've done about it, that makes more sense to me but I know there are differing opinions on the forum and with Ofsted inspectors.

Miffy xx

sarah707
25-03-2012, 08:53 AM
The statutory requirements of the Eyfs state -

Providers need to ensure that, as well as conducting a formal risk assessment, they constantly reappraise both the environments and activities to which children are being exposed and make necessary adjustments to secure their safety at all times.

I imagine this is what your tutor is referring to.

While it does not specifically say in the Eyfs 2008 that RAs must be written down, Ofsted produced a fact sheet (Requirements for risk assessments
A childcare factsheet) which states -

Although the Statutory Framework does not explicitly state it should be a written record we do not believe it is possible to meet this requirement without the record being written down.

So.... yes you should have a written record of risks and how you manage them on a daily basis. It does not need to be complicated - there are lots of good examples if you Google for ideas.

Hth :D

jadavi
25-03-2012, 09:23 AM
Thanks, I have all my risk assessments in place which says I do a daily check.
Do I need to note on a daily basis that a check has been done? Does everyone do this?

jumping j
25-03-2012, 09:32 AM
I tried to do this on a daily basis and sign and date it but it was too much paper and time consuming!
Instead I now just write down if I have to do anything.
I have my RA for the house and garden with potential dangers/risks.
If the OH leaves the xbox cables dangling I just write
"tidied away xbox cables" and think AGAIN!:angry: then sign and date it

rickysmiths
25-03-2012, 01:36 PM
U used to have a laminated copy of my daily checks which I ticked off and then wiped clean and did again the next day. I found it a pointless exercise so I put a copy of the daily check list in with my risk assessments to show what is checked on a daily basis and Ofsted were happy with this in September and my tutor was happy with it for my Level Three Diploma.

jadavi
25-03-2012, 03:10 PM
Thanks, I have adapted the copy that was posted here and will sign in my diary to say it is done daily and put a copy up on my notice board and in with my policies.

Cheers for the answers,