PDA

View Full Version : Outdoor learning policy

Trpta108
24-03-2012, 09:24 PM
Might anyone have an outdoor learning policy they would be willing to share or would let me know what sort of things you have included?

miffy
24-03-2012, 11:02 PM
No, sorry don't have one.

Just out of curiosity why do you want one?

Miffy xx

Trpta108
24-03-2012, 11:31 PM
I guess I would just like to let parents know all the great things about outdoor play and make sure they know this is a big part of our day and the children are likely to get messy, muddy, dirty etc. I am just not very good at wording things, so would appreciate some help:o.

jumpinjen
24-03-2012, 11:55 PM
Perhaps start by outlining your ethos on outdoor play - what your beliefs on it are, why it so important and how it supports children's development. Then you could list the resources and opportunities available for outdoor play - you could split these into those in your garden and those elsewhere eg forest school, parks, playgrounds, national trust properties if you visit them etc. You could then put in a section suggestion how you facilitate the children to enjoy these opportunities to their fullest e.g. welly box by the back door - range of sizes of all-in-one waterproofs - allowing the children to get muddy and wet/take risks appropriate to their age, abilities, risk assessments etc. Lastly you could invite the parents to discuss the policy with you if they have any concerns/questions. Remember to add a review date and sign it (and then rememeber to review it!!) To make an extra effort you could involve the children and parents in developing your outdoor provision and gather their feelings and opinions before you formulate the policy and feed them into it then give them all a copy after!! HTH, Jen x

sarah707
25-03-2012, 08:59 AM
I don't have a policy - but I do have an outdoor play folder in which I keep ideas, cuttings from magazines, a wish list, my ethos, information about why outside play is important to me and the children, continuous provision links, what children are learning... etc.

I am putting together an outings one at the moment :D

Trpta108
25-03-2012, 12:37 PM
Some great ideas. Thank you both so much!

VeggieSausage
25-03-2012, 08:18 PM
I don't have a policy - but I do have an outdoor play folder in which I keep ideas, cuttings from magazines, a wish list, my ethos, information about why outside play is important to me and the children, continuous provision links, what children are learning... etc.

I am putting together an outings one at the moment :D

such a brilliant idea Sarah :)