PDA

View Full Version : Is this normal...?

jumping j
24-03-2012, 07:57 AM
So far when parents have come to view my setting they have been friends, friends of friends or recommended by other minders.
Yesterday I had my first visit from a couple who had seen me on childcare.co.uk. They were a Polish couple, took my address and post code and said they'd arrive between 4.30 and 4.45. They rang at 4.45 to say they were just leaving home and would be 10 mins, what was my address again, at 5 they rang again to ask for directions and then at 5.10 they rang to say they'd put the address in sat nav and were outside, they weren't even on the right street!!! Finally arrived at 5.20.

They asked to see all my planning, risk assessments and individual planning. All my certificates, insurance docs and CRB checks, checked the dates on them. Asked to see photos of all my outings, to make sure the children were safe.
Spoke in Polish to each other about what they thought, so I have no idea what they were saying.
They had asked my fees before they came, first question!
Asked again on arrival, during our talk and then rung me 2 hours later to confirm, even though it's all in the 'welcome pack' they went home with.
They asked 3 times if I was Ofsted registered, and said good that means we can claim money, if I follow the EYFS and if I share information on the children with parents.
Then when they found out that I used to be a teacher asked if which job I preferred?!?!
When I said childminding she asked why I didn't complain about the low pay?!?!
They did ask some regular questions about food, routine, tv time etc.
They also asked about outings/trips what activities the children do during the day etc.
They also made a point of telling me, 3 times, that they were looking at other minders so they could decide which was best and would let me know by tuesday!
Now I know that as a stranger they want to make sure I'm the right person to look after their child. But is this normal?

singlewiththree
24-03-2012, 08:16 AM
I have had one set of parents like that and they left within the year. I just feel that someone people go over the top looking for the "right" person that they miss out on what is actually important.

They could turn out to be ok when they have finally decided but the talking in polish in front of me so I couldn't understood would have really annoyed me!

peppa Pig
24-03-2012, 11:31 AM
I had a parent like this, even sent for her own copy of eyfs, she was a fabulous mindee mummy and i was so sad when time came for lo to start school. Some people are very thorough.

rickysmiths
24-03-2012, 11:49 AM
So far when parents have come to view my setting they have been friends, friends of friends or recommended by other minders.
Yesterday I had my first visit from a couple who had seen me on childcare.co.uk. They were a Polish couple, took my address and post code and said they'd arrive between 4.30 and 4.45. They rang at 4.45 to say they were just leaving home and would be 10 mins, what was my address again, at 5 they rang again to ask for directions and then at 5.10 they rang to say they'd put the address in sat nav and were outside, they weren't even on the right street!!! Finally arrived at 5.20.

They asked to see all my planning, risk assessments and individual planning. All my certificates, insurance docs and CRB checks, checked the dates on them. Asked to see photos of all my outings, to make sure the children were safe.
Spoke in Polish to each other about what they thought, so I have no idea what they were saying.
They had asked my fees before they came, first question!
Asked again on arrival, during our talk and then rung me 2 hours later to confirm, even though it's all in the 'welcome pack' they went home with.
They asked 3 times if I was Ofsted registered, and said good that means we can claim money, if I follow the EYFS and if I share information on the children with parents.
Then when they found out that I used to be a teacher asked if which job I preferred?!?!
When I said childminding she asked why I didn't complain about the low pay?!?!
They did ask some regular questions about food, routine, tv time etc.
They also asked about outings/trips what activities the children do during the day etc.
They also made a point of telling me, 3 times, that they were looking at other minders so they could decide which was best and would let me know by tuesday!
Now I know that as a stranger they want to make sure I'm the right person to look after their child. But is this normal?

I have never had a parent ask to see all this. I would never show them CRBs they are the personal property of the person they are done on and all I have is my letter from Ofsted confirming that xxxxx is a suitable person.

I would personally be very wary of parents like this I hope you didn't give them anything that had your URN on it.

jumping j
24-03-2012, 03:34 PM
I have never had a parent ask to see all this. I would never show them CRBs they are the personal property of the person they are done on and all I have is my letter from Ofsted confirming that xxxxx is a suitable person.

I would personally be very wary of parents like this I hope you didn't give them anything that had your URN on it.

Gave them nothing to take away but my welcome pack, my URN is on display on my certificate but you have to really look at it and they didn't!
I need the business but part of me thinks they may turn out to be hard work and doesn't want them to contact me

sarah707
24-03-2012, 04:23 PM
If people speak in a different language in front of me I ask them to please speak English ... it's rude :(

Other than that yes I've had parents over the years who have asked lots of questions and got so bogged down in making sure they tick all the boxes I think they lose sight of the caring aspect of our jobs.

I am sure that once they get to know you they'll be fine! :D

sillysausage
24-03-2012, 05:02 PM
Don't be too hard on them. They don't know you from Adam, whilst other potential families have come via recommendation, be it friends or colleagues and the chances are those friends and colleagues will have passed on information about you, what you are like etc etc whereas this couple only have your short profile on chilcare.co.uk to go on.

Mouse
24-03-2012, 05:30 PM
If you read some of the advice for parents on looking for a childminder it goes into so much depth it's no wonder it seems as if they're quizzing us!
And at least these parents sound as if they've looked into how a childminder works.

I'd be annoyed at them speaking in their own language in front of me as that's just rude, and I wouldn't have shown them all of my planning (they could have seen examples, but not all of it), but I wouldn't have minded the in depth questioning.

singingcactus
24-03-2012, 05:44 PM
What they asked seems reasonable to me. They are just ensuring you have all the correct procedures and paperwork in place. Honestly can't see anything odd in what they were asking. They maybe asked a couple of times to ensure they were understanding you correctly.

Tatjana
24-03-2012, 07:44 PM
So far I've not had anyone as 'thorough' as this, perhaps they're scared stiff of leaving their lo and are being slightly ott with checking you out.

mushpea
24-03-2012, 09:09 PM
I have had a mega email with loads of questions similar to this from a parent, they came to see me after I answered and liked the setting and what I did with the children but their circumstances changed so they didnt come in the end.
I would be happy to show them crbs, I thought we were obliged to and as myself and my partner have nothing to hide I dont have a problem with it,, I would have shown them my planning but not individual planning if it had the childrens names on, my planning has at the bottom childrens individual planning but I only use their first intital so still confidential.
Maybe they are just very protective and want the right person,, Iknow if i was to use a childminder they would get a serious grilling and I would want to know everything but then I hate leaving my kids which is why I do this job!

jumping j
26-03-2012, 10:54 AM
I've got no problem with them wanting to see my paperwork etc. I have it all ready, was just surprised at how much of an 'interview' it felt like and the rapid questioning, it may have just been the language barrier.
They have rung and said so far I'm their first choice, they have one more childminder to see.
I think I just found them quite rude, speaking in polish to each other and not explaining any problems/opionions to me. Looking back I should have just asked if anything was wrong!!!

mama2three
26-03-2012, 11:49 AM
It sounds to me like they have followed a 'guide' on how to find the best childminder. That added to the language difference will make the general 'ease' of an interview seem difficult. I do agree that speaking polish in front of you was just plain rude though..

EmmaReed84
26-03-2012, 12:04 PM
At the end of the day they are leaving the most precious thing in the world to them, with a total stranger! If it were me, I would probably be the same (not talking in a different language... that is rude!) But with regards to the questions... why is it so offensive/annoying/unusual etc for a parent to quiz a potential CM... I am sure if they came in, glanced at you and said "Yeah, you're alright! Here take 'em" you would soon say "Oh these parents didn't even care about the amount of work I put in"