PDA

View Full Version : lazy with toilet training

Hayley102
23-03-2012, 06:06 PM
I have a 3.3 year old boy who is making no signs of being interested in toilet training. He used to say when he had a dirty nappy but is now happy to sit in it for some time! (at least he now admits it when asked - went through a phase of him saying it wasn't him!) We had a period when he would sit on the potty at lunchtime when it was nappy change time but despite a number of successful visits he soon got bored and made a fuss about sitting on the potty so we agreed to leave it (he was also struggling to settle into playgroup at the time!)He must know when he has a dirty nappy but I can't get him to come and tell me! Any suggestions please.

breezy
23-03-2012, 06:34 PM
Not sure what to suggest, maybe when mum has a week off or the long weekend coming up she can have a proper go at toilet training and see if he takes to it, if not leave it and try again at a later date. What does mum say about it all?

Hayley102
23-03-2012, 06:39 PM
Mum agrees that it is probably him being lazy.

gigglinggoblin
23-03-2012, 07:00 PM
He is either ready or he isnt, if he is I would suggest mum takes away the nappies completely over the long weekend and he should be sorted in a couple of days. If not then give it a few months and try again. I wouldnt expect a child to bother if they were happy to stay in nappies and kept being put in them.

moggy
23-03-2012, 09:05 PM
My eldest son was like this, I just had feeling he could do it but he would never tell me he needed to go or had filled nappy. I just went for it- stayed in for a few days, stayed near potty, bare bottom etc and he was all done in a week. I'd say parent should do that too and then you'll see if he is ready or not.

Hayley102
24-03-2012, 07:47 AM
Hopefully he will get himself sorted soon!

teacake2
24-03-2012, 01:52 PM
I have one who is 3.8yrs and he will not co-operate at all. I am going to tell mum that the best thing to do is to take him out of nappies all together when she is off with him over the easter holidays and just go for it. I think she is waiting for me to do it but I keep telling her it is not my job, especially as I have a crawler at the moment. It is about time she did something for him instead of me:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
Teacake2

PixiePetal
24-03-2012, 07:29 PM
Bribery with stickers and a mini choc animal biscuit worked for my mindee, with parents on same page. He is not 100% but almost. He had started to hold back and wait 4 days between poos. He had the ability but had gone backwards. Now he says 'are you happy?' when he does one :) and had forgotten about the biscuits - I said DD had eaten them all :laughing:

Hayley102
26-03-2012, 12:47 PM
I have suggested they give it a good go over Easter as at home for 2 weeks and I will continue when he comes back. At least we will know if he is ready or not after 2 weeks - if they do give it a try for the full 2 weeks!

Hayley102
26-03-2012, 12:49 PM
I have one who is 3.8yrs and he will not co-operate at all. I am going to tell mum that the best thing to do is to take him out of nappies all together when she is off with him over the easter holidays and just go for it. I think she is waiting for me to do it but I keep telling her it is not my job, especially as I have a crawler at the moment. It is about time she did something for him instead of me:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
Teacake2

I get the impression mum would like me to do the hard work too but have a policy stating they must be almost dry for 5 days before sending in pants due to the other children being around.

stargazer1
26-03-2012, 04:31 PM
I would suggest as above. I would think that by the age that he is he should be pretty much ready. My little girl was quite lazy at it, but then I confused things a lot on hindsight, like expecting her to ask to use the potty at home and then if we went shopping or something I put a pull up on her. I hate pull ups now!!!! In the end, I waited for a long weekend and we went and let her choose some big girls knickers and then we didnt put a nappy on her in the day again. She was dry by day 3. I think the messages often get confused and they dont really understand what we expect of them unless we make it crystal clear. It definitely is not your job to do it tho!! That's what he's got a mum for!!! :)