PDA

View Full Version : Dining table

stephym
22-03-2012, 03:10 PM
Hello! I have an issue about seating arrangements at meal times and wanted to find out what everybody else does.

Each weekday evening I have an 8 year old, and my own 1 year old eating together at 5pm. We are soon to be joined by a 5 year old and 3 year old and I know my current dining table won't suffice as it has a very thick edge to it (10cm solid wood with no small lip) which means that unless a child has a very long torso, they can't reach the top of the table properly for eating. We are just coping at the moment because the 8 year old can sit on a normal dining chair with 2 cushions but I know this won't work for the younger children.

I've been looking at new dining tables, foldaway versions etc but am overwhelmed. What does everybody else do for this age range (8, 5, 3 and 1). I need a table that I can pull my baby's highchair up to that younger children can also sit at, does such a thing exist? What does everybody else do with children who are in the higher age EYFS bracket or above to ensure they can all reach the table safely and comfortably?

Thanks!

sharonmanc
22-03-2012, 04:03 PM
I bought a booster seat/highchair, which attaches to the dining room chair and use that, so i dont need an high chair. instead of gettign rid of your table have you thought of one of those bars stool type chairs, it may work, hard to say with not beign able to see what your table looks like

AliceK
22-03-2012, 04:11 PM
I use booster chairs for children up to about 3yrs after that they can usually kneel up on a chair and reach ok to eat at the table. If they really struggle (or I can't get everyone around the table) I have a little Ikea childrens table in the toy room and I can bring that into the kitchen for LO's to sit at.

xxx

JulieA
22-03-2012, 05:29 PM
I also use booster seats which strap to the dining chairs. I have two which are soft cushion type seat and a third which is a hard plastic seat and seats children slightly higher at the table.

miffy
22-03-2012, 05:44 PM
I have an ordinary table in the kitchen which older children can sit at and younger ones sit at a nursery sized table. Luckily the kitchen is big so there's also room for a highchair if needed.

Miffy xx

sarah707
22-03-2012, 05:50 PM
We have 2 booster seats. We also bought a bench which goes along the wall at the side of the table and it is slightly higher than normal chairs.

Hth :D

funemnx
22-03-2012, 06:48 PM
I find a lot of mine will kneel in the chair and eat/play that way, but I also have a few booster seats (mainly for the wrigglers so I can strap them in! :laughing:)

loocyloo
22-03-2012, 07:55 PM
i have 3 booster seats that strap on my normal chairs ( with a protective layer of bubble wrap to keep my chairs clean ;) ), and also have 3 'high' chairs, like the tripp trapp chair, but cheaper ;) these are each set at a different height and suit most of the children!

The Juggler
22-03-2012, 09:46 PM
i was going to suggest the trip trapp or a booster :thumbsup:

PixiePetal
23-03-2012, 10:13 AM
I have boosters. One is from when DD was little - a thick square block of firm foam with a cover (bought from Blooming Marvellous about 16 years ago I think!)

It is great and not too babyish for older ones who can't reach - more stable than cushions and their weight holds it still on the chair - no straps. You could make something similar if they can't be bought?

Hayley102
23-03-2012, 05:58 PM
I use booster seats that attach to the chairs.