PDA

View Full Version : Urgent advice please!!!

cara1235
21-03-2012, 03:53 PM
Hi
Really need some advice,
I am booked to attend my network training tonight however i have sent an email this pm to let them know i cant attend as my 6 year old dd has a purferated eardrum:( I has received an email back to say thanks but you have to pay £65 cancellation fee!!!!! I emailed back to say i understood it was only £10 to cancel, they have since emailed me back to say yes it used to be but has changed to £65. I have sent back that in that case i will have to take my daughter to the training session with me i am not leaving her with a sitter if she is poorly.
Just wanted some advice really on where i stand in refusing to pay the fee???

Pipsqueak
21-03-2012, 04:00 PM
I know each LA is different in how they implement - however this is a genuine reason why you can't attend and £65 seems a bit steep.

I would argue blue murder and refuse to pay

caz3007
21-03-2012, 04:03 PM
That is a lot of money, did you actually sign something to say you would pay this in event of cancellation. It seems extremely unfair

cara1235
21-03-2012, 04:08 PM
Hi
no didnt sign anything it seems when you book to attend online you are agreeing to there terms and conditions, but to me that is not a legally binding contract and if i refused to pay what can they do??

Think i am going to have to fight this all the way:angry:

~Chelle~
21-03-2012, 04:08 PM
That is a big jump from £10 to £65!

I would refuse to pay and say that my child comes first and that you will pay the £10 and they can lump it!

Hope your DD feels better soon x x

Mouse
21-03-2012, 04:09 PM
I know it is very frustrating when people just don't bother turning up for training sessions, but there should be an allowance made when it is a genuine reason. At least you told them beforehand.

Have you actually signed an agreement saying you understand there will be a £65 charge, or have they sent any notification to let peolpe know it has increased? I would ask for details of how they notified people as you were unaware of it & wouldn't have signed up if you'd known there was a £65 cancellation fee. Offer to pay the £10, but refuse to pay the £65.

(BTW, I know these things are different in each LA, but our DO told us that it would actually be very hard to get the money out of people if they didn't pay up ;))

caz3007
21-03-2012, 04:10 PM
I agree with Chelle, I would pay the £10 and if they kept on chasing the rest, write a letter stating the reasons you were unable to attend and leave it at that. Hope it doesnt come to that

cara1235
21-03-2012, 04:16 PM
Thanks guys, you have made me feel much better about refusing to pay it ( i am usually soo soft and always give in on things like this just to keep the peace, but you have helped me find my backbone:))
Thanks again xxxx

aly
21-03-2012, 04:49 PM
Surely like with any increase there should be a letter saying an increase in fees with notice?

When we increase our fees we give parents a notice letter saying we intend to raise our fees from a certain date.

Is that something to argue with them?

pinky33
21-03-2012, 04:50 PM
When we refused to pay they passed it to a debt collection agency, we had told them in writing 2 weeks previous to the session and the whole thing turned into a blinking nightmare.

primula
21-03-2012, 04:58 PM
This is scary, best check next time i book on training. £65 is such alot to charge.I f they havent let you know about the increae how can they expcet you to pay it? sounds like someones cross, maybe others have canceled..

EmmaReed84
21-03-2012, 05:03 PM
When you signed up to the course you will have agreed to the terms at the time. Those terms stated cancellation was £10. Unless it states in the terms they have the right to change the cancellation fee with no notice, I doubt they will have a leg to stand on.

I would be writing a very snotty letter to that effect, also stating that good practise would be to inform anyone to changes especially regarding fees!

flowerpots
21-03-2012, 05:08 PM
£65.00 is ALOT of money, i wouldnt pay it, at least you let them know. :rolleyes:

The Juggler
21-03-2012, 05:12 PM
i agree. £65 is more than the course is probably! can you speak to someone higher up and if you can produce a doctors note for your dd or a copy of the prescription maybe you'll be let off the charge?

rosebud
21-03-2012, 05:31 PM
How can they say that you have agreed to the "terms and conditions" when you signed up if they haven't actually told you what they are! I would check first whether it is in writing anywhere how much the fee will be (in the training directory maybe) and whether there is any clause about there being a genuine reason to cancel. If its not in writing then I wouldn't pay it either and would fight it all the way, I have no problem with being asked to pay if I just forgot but not when you have a genuine reason.

cara1235
21-03-2012, 05:57 PM
Have emailed my DO and she has said to email her superior so that is what i have done stating that i have the bottle of antibiotics to prove that i have a child who is ill, so just waiting for her reply now:rolleyes:
will keep you updated x

miffy
21-03-2012, 06:01 PM
I hope you get it sorted, there should be some discretion to allow for genuine reasons for not attending and £65 sounds way too high a cancellation fee.

Hope your dd feels better soon.

Miffy xx