PDA

View Full Version : Do you feel guilty having holidays?

Spangles
29-05-2008, 09:15 PM
I never had this problem before because my mindees were all part-timers and the mum's didn't work plus had other people they could turn to close by.

Now though I am about to start a full-timer who don't have family nearby and both parents work, one in the army and one in another full-time role. I would really like to take the week off in September when my son starts pre-school as he's never been away from me before and I don't know how he will be. I would like to be here completely just for him.

Not only that but I'm completely dreading it myself but that's another thread altogether!

I feel so guilty about wanting to take the time off as I know they will find it hard to cover and I don't know any other minders who I could recommend either.

Does anyone else feel like this or is it just me being stupid?

angeldelight
29-05-2008, 09:19 PM
I think we all feel like that Lorri

Of course you want that first week off when your son starts preschool - I was the same with my children and wanted to be free incase they needed me - not that they ever did haha

I am having a week off in August and because I am not going on holiday a parent is trying to make me feel guilty because Im " just at home "

I like to please my parents but sometimes you have to think of yourself and your family

You need and deserve a week off so take it and DONT FEEL GUILTY

Love Angel xx

Pipsqueak
29-05-2008, 09:22 PM
Errrm nope! Ex-PFH tried to make me feel guilty after James had his op last year and the doctors advised me he needed a further 10 days away from other children and outside factors. Dad really laid it on!! Didn't work though - my kids come first!

crazybones
29-05-2008, 09:23 PM
I have felt guilty with the odd couple of parents over the years but apart from when my parents died I have always given at least 3 months notice and 12 months for my 2 weeks in the summer. Some parents I feel like doing to them what they do to me and telling them the day before. For that reason I have decided to change my policy of half pay for mindees hols to full pay for all new starters, which will be all of them come Sept.

sarah32
29-05-2008, 09:25 PM
Your entitled to holidays. If you go away or not thats your business.:)

I have 3 weeks holiday a year, I have told my parents in advance when they are so they can either plan a holiday the same time or find alternative cover.

If you tell them now you are having a week of in september, thats 3 whole months for them to sort them selves out, plenty of time.

Dont feel bad about it.:)

Tily Bud
29-05-2008, 09:29 PM
I used to feel guilty but not any more i need time with my own children x although the parents sometimes try it on especially when they realise i will be at home and not going away :angry: I had one bring his child at 7.45am on wed morning only for my son to remind him that i wasn't working this week :eek: i was so proud of my ds x Wouldnt mind but when dad collected in fri i said 'i wont see you now til a week on mon as im off next week!' he obviously didnt listen !! mum did text me later to apologise she hadnt looked at the calendar :eek:

miffy
29-05-2008, 09:29 PM
I'm afraid I don't feel guilty anymore - I have my holidays when I want to - after all that's what parents do.

But I do usually arrange cover for my mindees if parents want that so I think that is as much as I can do

This is a very important time for your ds Lorri and you want to spend it with him. Tell the parents now and that is lots of notice for them to sort something out even if they have to take time off themselves.

You never know they might be happy to have a holiday then

miffy xx

chez1373
29-05-2008, 09:32 PM
Isnt it horrible how some parents do this to us we are running around after them all the time i will be taking a week off when my son goes to pre school and they can either deal with it give me notice.....

I hope you can get things sorted...

carolinel
29-05-2008, 09:32 PM
NO! Not ever and never will!

I am entitled to my holidays just as much as they're entitled to theirs- it's up to them to try and coincide holidays. they wouldn't be getting the best out of me as a childminder if I didn't get a break!!

charleyfarley
29-05-2008, 09:38 PM
If I book a holiday in advance then no I don't feel guilty in the slightest.

If however I have to book a day off at short notice for say an appointment then yes I do feel , not so much guilty but bad I've let them down.

You need to be with your son and they as parents should understand that.

Do not feel guilty in the slightest, you are giving them plenty of warning of your week off

Carol xx

carolinel
29-05-2008, 09:40 PM
If I book a holiday in advance then no I don't feel guilty in the slightest.

If however I have to book a day off at short notice for say an appointment then yes I do feel , not so much guilty but bad I've let them down.
You need to be with your son and they as parents should understand that.

Do not feel guilty in the slightest, you are giving them plenty of warning of your week off

Carol xx

I agree, that also makes me feel guilty. fortunately since I started being ill in January I've only had to book 3 days off. parents were all fine about it!

Spangles
29-05-2008, 09:40 PM
I'm really pathetic aren't I! I just feel really bad but, yes, it is a lot of notice isn't it and it's probably going to be the only holiday I take between now and Christmas so it's not that bad is it?

angeldelight
29-05-2008, 09:42 PM
I dont thnk you are pathetic

I am the same

I have only just started to get tough so there is hope for you yet ha

Angel xx

Spangles
29-05-2008, 09:43 PM
Hope so! I need to get tough!

I had to remind one mum that she didn't pay me last week and I found that really hard too!

angeldelight
29-05-2008, 09:48 PM
Well I let my one parent off payment a while ago - and this week she did not show with no phone call or anything

So that is where getting soft gets you !!!

Angel xx

miffy
29-05-2008, 09:49 PM
Well I let my one parent off payment a while ago - and this week she did not show with no phone call or anything

So that is where getting soft gets you !!!

Angel xx

But you are going to try and get tougher aren't you?

miffy xx

angeldelight
29-05-2008, 09:50 PM
I am trying ha

Angel xx

charleyfarley
29-05-2008, 09:53 PM
Hope so! I need to get tough!

I had to remind one mum that she didn't pay me last week and I found that really hard too!

You are getting tough,:clapping:
one of my parents only pays me when she mentions it :eek: I am terrible with her, I admit it but I do only have lo casual when and if needed so isn't that much money anyway.

I can be tough though when I need to be :D

Carol xx

charleyfarley
29-05-2008, 09:56 PM
I am trying ha

Angel xx

You are never going to be tough Angel

I'm only an hour away I can get tough with them for you as I don't know them, it'll be easier.

Carol xx

chez1373
29-05-2008, 10:00 PM
Im still waiting for payment of a parent she does keep saying i owe you that money dont i but never puts her hand in her poket .....

angeldelight
29-05-2008, 10:03 PM
HEY LORRI

HAVE A HOLIDAY AND DONT LET THESE PARENTS GET ON YOUR

PIP

HAHA

sorry hahahaha

xxx

Spangles
29-05-2008, 10:06 PM
I knew it! I knew you wouldn't be able to resist!

I come here and share a little story from my childhood with you and you just mock me!

It's very sad. You've truly shocked me to the core!

From now on just refer to me as Golden Delicious.

NO NOT Granny Smiths!!!!!!

angeldelight
29-05-2008, 10:08 PM
HAHA FUNNY

GRANNY SMITH OR GRANNY LORRI SOUNDS BETTER

HAHA

Angel xx

Pipsqueak
29-05-2008, 10:12 PM
HEY LORRI

HAVE A HOLIDAY AND DONT LET THESE PARENTS GET ON YOUR

PIP

HAHA

sorry hahahaha

xxx

Someone shout my name?????:D

angeldelight
29-05-2008, 10:14 PM
Think Lorri wants it for herself haha

Unless we just call her "apple "

xx

Banana
30-05-2008, 10:52 AM
Guilty, you must be kidding!!

I started minding in january 2007. I have taken 8 days holiday in that time!

I cannot wait for my first holiday of this year - in two weeks time!! and I can hand on heart say I have no guilty feelings at all! I think parents are lucky at how little holiday I take!

x

Lou
30-05-2008, 11:47 AM
Ha Ha, i was just gonna type something similar to you Lana!!!!

I had a bout 1 week if that last year.

This year i havent had any yet, but am going to Turkey in July for 2 weeks, one of my mums said to me the other day, its such a problem you going on holiday, i will have to take unpaid leave whilst you are away.

Hmmm yes thats because you have already used up your holiday entitlement you lazy mare!!!!!

I do not feel in the slightest bit guilty, i cant wait!!!!!

Lottie
30-05-2008, 12:53 PM
Iif you are planning a holiday in September than that gives you enough time to inform the parents and for them to get cover. Why should you feel guilty, everyone is entitled to a holiday.

I am lucky whereby my charges parents and myself have booked our hols at the same time.

manjay
30-05-2008, 01:02 PM
No guilt being felt by me either:D I am taking two weeks in August and that will be it probably until Christmas. I used a minder for 8 years before I left my old job and I had no problems with her taking holiday. She always gave plenty of notice and hubby and I planned our year to take this into account.

sandy
30-05-2008, 01:21 PM
Guilty - NO WAY !!!

Parents get plenty of notice and we are fully entitled to a break--------which is why I am off to spain tomorrow afternoon with a friend for a 5 night girly holiday. I've been waxed, tanned and have been packed for a week.

Can you tell I'm a bit excited Ha ha !!

Hope the sun shines for you all home here

I'll be thinking of you all - Perhaps !!

Sandy x :laughing: :laughing:

emler
30-05-2008, 01:22 PM
I feel no guilt either! Last year we didn't have a holiday at all so this year I am definately having one and parents can like it or lump it. Hubby has just found out his holiday dates will be the first 2 weeks in August so on Monday morning I will be letting the parents know and they will have plenty of time to make alternative arrangements.

Emler x

Pudding Girl
30-05-2008, 01:23 PM
I haven't had one as yet, but I have no doubt I will feel a bit funny about it with my current ones as they are hoteliers and obv very busy in holiday times, just when they need me to have the children! :panic:

deeb66
30-05-2008, 03:07 PM
As everyone has said......

You really do not need to feel guilty!

After all you work really hard and are entitled to a break the same as the parents are.

As long as you give them plenty of notice you have no need to feel guilty nor do they have the right to try and make you feel guilty either.

Twinkles
30-05-2008, 03:21 PM
I have some parents who really dislike me taking holiday in term time and some who don't want me to take time off in school hols !! I can't win :rolleyes:
There is no way to please everybody so I just make sure they all have plenty of notice and please myself!!

disney
30-05-2008, 07:25 PM
at first i felt a litte guilty but i dont now most of them are happy for me to have one ,. and i need one and know that after i will funtion even better when caring for their kids ! any way we are all intitled to one :thumbsup:

miffy
30-05-2008, 08:38 PM
I have some parents who really dislike me taking holiday in term time and some who don't want me to take time off in school hols !! I can't win :rolleyes:
There is no way to please everybody so I just make sure they all have plenty of notice and please myself!!

That sounds familiar and I do the same as you too!

miffy xx

Cammie Doodle
31-05-2008, 04:29 PM
I know I should not feel guilty but sometimes I do
And I REALLY DO this year as Im having 3 weeks off in November (although all the Parents have known since January) . I start back Dec 1st and then close for Christmas/ New Year 19th Dec:blush:
Next year I will try and spread holidays out better, but in my defense it is to celebrate with my Parents and Family their Golden Wedding Anniversary in Florida , mind you Iam only with them for 1 week :blush: the last week