PDA

View Full Version : Ideas please : )

kellyb
21-03-2012, 11:18 AM
Good morning everyone !

Hope you're all well!

I have a little one who is 14 months old, she's very bright, understands exactly what you say to her, she nods yes & no but doesn't seem to want to talk much, has a 3 year older sister who does a lot for her.. Just after ideas of encouraging her to chat more and if you've had experiences with children that don't say much at all.. Her mum & I are working together on this so any help would be great : )

She loves toy phones, toys with music and lots of buttons etc

babs
21-03-2012, 12:17 PM
mine love looking at flash cards and then doing actions and sounds of the animals encourge her to say what the picture is and then asking what sound it makes .. reading booking and asking questions like can you find the ladybird or what animals are there.. singing songs and nursery rhymes. opened endded questions and try get her to answer you.. like if u know she wants a drink, ask what would you like if she points ask her what it is .. just to add one little one i have comes from a part deaf family so not much chatting at home she was very quite when she first started talking but now shes a right little chatter box and signs well too as she speaks . shes 2yrs 3 m

rickysmiths
21-03-2012, 01:02 PM
It sounds as if you are doing great things. I wouldn't be too worried at 14 months. My own two didn't speak apart from odd words until they were nearer 18mths to 2 years.

I currently care for five children aged 14 months (no clear words at all yet) but he chatters to himself all the time, a near three year old who speaks quite well, a just two year old who is speaking in clear sentences, an 18 month old whose vocabulary and understanding has gone off the scale and another two year old who has speech delay problems and is currently waiting to see a Speech Therapist.

rosebud
21-03-2012, 01:28 PM
As others have said don't worry too much, 14 months is very young, I would focus on lots and lots of singing and looking at books and naming things in them.

kellyb
21-03-2012, 06:21 PM
Thank you everyone for your help : ) just lookin at forward planning to help her and encourage her xx