PDA

View Full Version : CYPOP 5 for childminder registered for 9 years !!

Little Pickles
21-03-2012, 10:22 AM
Hi I have posted this on the training board too but I wondered if anyone on this board would be able to advise too please ?
I am currently doing the DCYPW level 3 , most people on the course are people in the process of registering and have just completed the CYPOP5 course. It has been suggested that I will have to do the CYPOP5 course now as well! I have been registered for 9 years and have had good grades from Ofsted on every inspection, I regularly undertake training courses provided by the local authority and I am not arogant enough to think I kow everything but why should I now take on another course one evening a week to teach me how to do a job I have been doing well for the last 9 years ?!?!?
Can anyone else please let me know if they have come up against this please
Many thanks

linda2girls
21-03-2012, 10:31 AM
Yes, I am doing the Level 3 and I'm doing it as one of the optional units.

Linda.

rickysmiths
21-03-2012, 10:49 AM
An odd way of putting it to you!

The thing is that CYPOP 5 forms part of the Diploma and this is why a lot of Authorities are using it as the Introduction to Childminding course so that these new cms have already completed a Module of the new Diploma if they then want to go on and complete the whole thing.

If you have been minding for some time like me you won't have done that Module but we have to complete it to get the Diploma. It has nothing to do with being a new minder or not.

It may be that the way you are doing the course the most efficient way for you to complete this module is to go on the same course as new childminders.

I would say the main impact on you is when is the course run and can you do it this way and does it fit in with the way and time you are already spending doing the main Diploma?

If not you need to speak to whoever is delivering the Diploma Course and see if you can do it any other way.

I would have thought you would with a little guidance be able to do it at home and have it marked with your other work. All that is contained in it will be things you already do and have it is just a question of putting it in the format the Diploma wants.

Two good books are:

Home-based Childcare for childminders and nannies bySheila Riddall-Leech isbn 978-0-435-04590-6

This one is for Level 3 Unit CYPOP 5

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Home-Based-C...4&sr=1-2-spell (http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/0435045903/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&tag=childminding-21&linkCode=as2&camp=1634&creative=19450&creativeASIN=0435045903)

Level 3 Diploma Children & Young People's Workforce Early Learning & Childcare by Penny Tassoni isbn 978-0-435031-33-6

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Children-Wor...2326937&sr=1-1 (http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/0435031333/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&tag=childminding-21&linkCode=as2&camp=1634&creative=19450&creativeASIN=0435031333)

Little Pickles
21-03-2012, 11:03 AM
Many thanks for your advice Ricky
You make it a lot clearer the way that you have explained it . I am hopeful that I will be able to arrange to complete the essays without attending as I am currently attending the Dip course one night a week for a year and then the CYPOP is another night for 12 weeks so I just can't do it - it would mean paying out £40 a week in babysitters and is there a charge for doing the CYPOP? I have already paid out for doing the diploma , first aid , data protection , Ofsted fee in the last 2 months which has cost me over £500!!!
I am sorry to rant but some times its too much about the paperwork and jumping through hoops for authorities leaving me little time and energy for the little ones - or my own family !!!! I love my job and consider it a great honour to share such precious times woth the little pickles !

rickysmiths
21-03-2012, 11:11 AM
I know exactly how you feel!

I have only done the Diploma because our LA offered a huge chunk of the cost so it has only cost me £250. Also we have had to attend monthly study day instead of college every week in the evenings which suited me much better. Nearly at the end now.

Little Pickles
21-03-2012, 11:21 AM
Thanks again Ricky , glad you are nearly finished . How are you finding the course? I find that it is pretty straight forward , a little repetative at times,but basically just writing down what we do and why we do it . I would recommend it to anyone as you end up knowing the EYFS inside out ! Although some of it will be out of date by the time I finish the course!!!! We had half the cost funded but still had to pay £350 to do it , I am only doing it now as I think it will be compulsary soon.

rickysmiths
21-03-2012, 12:53 PM
It has been laborious to say the least!! Most of it just rearranging what I already knew.

I just feel that as all new minders will have the first module and more and more are doing the Diploma us oldies have to keep up :thumbsup: It won't be long before it is another expectation of parents and I want to become accredited so I need it for that as well.

funemnx
21-03-2012, 01:27 PM
I've nearly finished the CYPW level 3 and only have my pathway courses to do. Luckily I had it fully funded and like RS only doing it because I have to!

My pathways are CYPOP 1, 2 and 5. I only have to go to college for 2 evenings for all three so I guess they are doing it differently in different areas/colleges. The CYPOP's are included in the cost of the whole Diploma so hope yours is too.