PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone charge for nappies??

stargazer1
20-03-2012, 02:29 PM
This is just a "wonder". A childminder friend of mind says that she has a mum who consistently sends her 14 month old with no nappies or wipes in her bag. My friend keeps a back up of nappies and wipes etc, but it states in her policies that parents are to send these. She has mentioned it several times to mum but mum doesnt seem to listen. I am just about to register and it has made me wonder whether I should put something in my policies that if nappies are not provided I will make a charge of say 50p for each nappy change to cover nappy and wipes - excessive I know, but would it be a deterant? x :idea:

Zumba-mum
20-03-2012, 02:34 PM
I'm lucky all my parents give me more then enough nappies and wipes and i let them know when there getting low. I can't see it being a problem in charging them.

rosebud
20-03-2012, 02:39 PM
I have never had a parent not provide nappies and think its probably quite rare that they "forget". I don't stock nappies so I would be inclined to phone mum at work to say she needs to bring nappies or pick the child up. A couple of times of this should be enough to make sure mum remembers, I certainly wouldn't be providing them.

nikki thomson
20-03-2012, 02:40 PM
I find it easier to have a big pack of nappies kept at my house, when there getting low I tell mum and I also say if you want I can get them and add the cost onto the next invoice which she quite often does, saves a trip to tesco's after a long day at work and I don't mind, as for wet wipes I provide them free. X

loocyloo
20-03-2012, 03:02 PM
I find it easier to have a big pack of nappies kept at my house, when there getting low I tell mum and I also say if you want I can get them and add the cost onto the next invoice which she quite often does, saves a trip to tesco's after a long day at work and I don't mind, as for wet wipes I provide them free. X

i do that, mum also provides a packet of wipes per bag of nappies. however, once these are used, i use 'my' wipes until next bag of nappies and wipes! i've never asked mum for the wipes!

QualityCare
20-03-2012, 03:43 PM
Each parent brings a bag of nappies and l let them know on a friday when l am running out (l would usually have 3/4 days supply left) so they can get them at the weekend, l text a reminder monday morning, never had a parent not send any. Wipes unless a parent wants to use a specific brand l rotate which parent buys the next pack, l also buy wipes all the time.

LauraS
20-03-2012, 04:22 PM
I have never had a parent not provide nappies and think its probably quite rare that they "forget". I don't stock nappies so I would be inclined to phone mum at work to say she needs to bring nappies or pick the child up. A couple of times of this should be enough to make sure mum remembers, I certainly wouldn't be providing them.

^ I think I would do this rather than charge for them. I'd let it go a couple of times but if they persistently forgot I'd not be happy supplying them all the time.

JulieA
20-03-2012, 06:36 PM
I keep a pack of the really cheap value nappies to use in an emergency - I usually try to pick one size that will fit most of the children. I provide all wipes and nappy bags and tissues myself. That way it is easier when I go out to groups as I have a little bag with a pack of wipes, nappy bags, gloves and first aid kit, to which I add one or two nappies for each child.

Most of my parents are quite good at providing nappies, but once I had a chnaging bag given to me in the morning and when I went to get a nappy later in the morning it was full of soft toys (mum had two bags the same and had sent the nappies to the local school for the White Elephant stall!).

fluff1975
23-03-2012, 10:20 PM
I have one in cloth nappies so obviously they're provided, the other is in disposable and parents provide them. As others have said, when they're getting low I just ask for more. If they have wipes in their bags I'll use those first but I can't ever imagine not buying wipes. How I managed without them before I had children I don't know!

miffy
23-03-2012, 10:44 PM

I do this too except I don't shop for them or provide free wipes.

Miffy xx

jumping j
24-03-2012, 08:14 AM

I do this too, I curently have 3 bags of nappies in 3 different sizes along with 3 packs of wipes. If the wipes run out I do have my own, but I use them for more than just changing, hand/face cleaning, mopping up food etc so I don't mind topping up wipes every now and again

ruby
24-03-2012, 09:50 AM
parents supply bags of nappies we just let them know when we are running
out We supply wet wipes, and nappy bags
we do keep spares just in case
don't think i would charge though
other than doing what Rosebud says i don't know what you can do

cathy

stargazer1
24-03-2012, 09:55 AM
Thanks everyone. I think my friend just asks the mums to put a couple of nappies in the childs bag each day, which I suppose makes it easier to forget. Much better to ask for a big pack at the start and let them know when its running low. I am stocking up on wipes all the time so by the time start I think I will have enough for a year. Since I've had kids of my own, wipes are probably the one thing I wonder how the hell I lived without before. I use them for everything!! x

Goatgirl
24-03-2012, 01:18 PM
Hi :),
I can understand parents occasionally forgetting to top up nappies, and I will provide one if this happens, with a note on the daily diary that 'there were only x no. of nappies in bag and to please make sure there are at least x no. each day'.
....but to consistently send no nappies or wipes is taking the mickey IMO. I don't have room to store large bags of nappies, so would probably keep a small one for such emergencies and after a few benefit of the doubt situations, charge the 50p. I bet the forgetfulness would clear up in no time :D:thumbsup:

hope your friends resolves the situation. If any of mine get out of hand i'm using your idea :thumbsup:

best wishes,
Wendy :)

caz3007
24-03-2012, 07:55 PM
My only one currently in nappies supplies a pack whenever I ask.

I did have one child once who was only with my one day a week and mum was really organised. LO had soiled her nappy, went to bag and none in there :eek: rang mum but she was in London so we all trekked round the shop and bought a packet and mum paid me back when she got home, I did grab one out as a spare just in case as had no others in nappies at that point to borrow one.

I think I would check bag infront of mum to make sure nappies are there if they were forgotten lots and send her home for some if none there

babs
24-03-2012, 09:10 PM
never had problem with nappies gone to bag few times no wipes but i dont mind this as i take my own when we go out anyway saves carrying 3lots... i would be ringing mum saying no nappies can you get some to me or tell her im going to buy some and she can give me money back at the end of day..

ChocolateChip
25-03-2012, 10:19 AM
parents supply bags of nappies we just let them know when we are running
out We supply wet wipes, and nappy bags
we do keep spares just in case
don't think i would charge though
other than doing what Rosebud says i don't know what you can do

cathy

I do this aswell.
I wouldn't charge for a nappy or two if it was a one off, but if the parent did it consistently I would charge them for it, as you said at a high rate to try and deter them and just get them to realise they need to provide for their child or it's going to cost them! ;)
All of mine are really good at the moment and I was more than happy to give out the leftover nappies (why did I buy so many :rolleyes:) from my youngest for them to use, think it just depends on whether they are taking the mick or not.