PDA

View Full Version : Trouble at pick up time.

miriamwhite
19-03-2012, 10:41 PM
I currently have a 2 year old that I look after. They are pretty well behaved for me during the day but as soon as the parents arrive in the evening to collect the child they start to misbehave. Anyone have any tips about how to stop this pattern of behaviour please!!

onceinabluemoon
20-03-2012, 07:45 AM
When I had this problem I had a chat with mum and said I wasn't prepared to have this behaviour at home time and that the child behaved perfectly the rest of the time, and what I was going to do was send mum back outside if child started to tantrum about getting ready to go home.
Then I told child that if she behaved that way at home time I would send her parent outside and she would have to wait to see her.
First sign of the child playing up mum was sent outside to wait and the child was directed to do as she was told (i.e. get her coat/shoes on)with no further fuss or attention. It took me sending mum out twice to stop the behaviour!

miffy
20-03-2012, 07:50 AM
I agree with OIABM - the other option is to have the child dressed and ready to go as mum arrives (get mum to call you when 5 mins away) and then just hand over on the doorstep so you're not giving the child a chance to play up.

Miffy xx

kats
20-03-2012, 07:54 AM
I used to have this all the time but now i have each child ready with coat on for when parents arrive so its a very quick handover at the door with daily diary in hand , i learnt to do this from people on this forum and it does work. I make sure that when the parents are here at the start filling in the contract i explain that this is how i work at pick up as i have other children who are still here or its the end of my working day and theirs so the quicker the better, :)

VeggieSausage
20-03-2012, 08:50 AM
I get everyone ready to go and so I open the door with their child (sometimes there are times they haven't go their shoes on but not many really) to avoid this situation and also I think parents like to pick up and go. Quick chat on the doorstep and off.....lo's still go bananas when the parents arrive sometimes but it helps to do it this way I think :)

caz3007
20-03-2012, 09:14 AM
My full timer is a nightmare at pick up, she is 2. When mum isnt here and I need the loo, she sits on the bottom step and waits for me. When mum is here and as I am opening the door, she makes a beeline for the stairs and climbs right up.

I think I am going to have her in her coat and strapped in her buggy for collection time, will tell mum in advance thats what I am going to do