PDA

View Full Version : Those that went to the Education show

miffy
18-03-2012, 09:47 PM
What did you think to it?

If you've been before was it as good, better or not?

Did you bag any bargains?

Miffy xx

squiggle
18-03-2012, 09:52 PM
i went yesterday and to be honest didn't think it was as good as last year. there was lots of stalls where people were wanting to talk to sell rather than being able to have a look at things yourself and buy what you need.

i still managed to spend £100 though!:laughing:

I was appalled though at peoples reactions when they knew we were childminders - one women actually said to my friend 'Oh were not for you as we are about learning people to read' - my freind gave her a stern word and told her how insulted she felt!

xx

Playmate
18-03-2012, 09:59 PM
We missed you :( Penny, blueboy and I sat outside at 12 o'clock, but thought knowone else had turned up :panic: Saw Nix briefly, but she was going in as we went to get something to eat.

I thought it was good, but Penny who has been before didn't think it was as good as previous years. We bought quite a few bits and my wish list is getting longer :rolleyes:

desiderata
18-03-2012, 10:04 PM
I too went yesterday, didnt manage to see any of you , did walk round, after I had put all my purchases in the cloakroom, a few times but didnt not see anyone. I didnt think it was as good as previous years, only managed a couple of pens as freebies and only found about four stalls that seemed genuinely interested in childminders. Still managed to get throug £110 pounds tho. Some of the stalls this time were only taking orders .

Loushah
18-03-2012, 11:23 PM
I was appalled though at peoples reactions when they knew we were childminders - one women actually said to my friend 'Oh were not for you as we are about learning people to read' - my freind gave her a stern word and told her how insulted she felt!

xx

I totally agree with this comment, me and my friend went yesterday and I couldn't get over the reactions I got when I said I was a childminder. People literally turned their noses up at us and really didn't seem interested in talking to us after we told them we were childminders. One woman asked me for my name then asked where I worked told her I was a childminder and just said oh,
stopped writing and walked off...how rude!!!

Did get some free books, pens, pencils, stickers, key ring and coaster :-)

miffy
19-03-2012, 07:35 AM
We missed you :( Penny, blueboy and I sat outside at 12 o'clock, but thought knowone else had turned up :panic: Saw Nix briefly, but she was going in as we went to get something to eat.

I thought it was good, but Penny who has been before didn't think it was as good as previous years. We bought quite a few bits and my wish list is getting longer :rolleyes:

Sorry, Playmate - I came with my dil and we didn't get there until after the meeting time so I missed you. I kept a look out all afternoon for Penny's suitcase but never saw it.

I'll be interested to see how it compares to Manchester, my dil has been before and she said it was much smaller than she remembers.

Some stalls were packing up and leaving early afternoon - when I got to Reflections on Learning at 1.30 all that was left was a pile of catalogues and the chap was just leaving!

Miffy xx

Penny1959
19-03-2012, 09:21 AM
As Playmate has said I went and met up with her and Blueboy (as Carol ill and could not go - they 'looked' after me)

I can't believe how many of you went and we missed seeing you! Didn't even get chance to chat to Nix - as we were heading off to lunch - and did not see her afterwards. I suppose that is what happens when you are meeting people you have not a clue what they look like

We did meet up with a friend from East Midlands and her son - which was nice.

Not surprised you did not see suitcase Miffy - I could hardly seeit myself and I was pulling it! It was a bit squashed in there at feet level

Playmate is right - I did think it was not as good as previous years. Not only was it smaller - a lot of the stands were smaller as well - so it was hard to see what was displayed.

Def less freebies - I was actually one of the first 500 through the door and got a free goody bag - really disapointed with it (a note book, couple of sheets of stickers, some 'smelly' pencils, promotional pens and a useless poster).

However I managed to spent a fair bit - 2 subscriptions to magazines - a tube construction thing, a sand timer, some sensory toys for GS3, some nice clipboard things (whiteboard and blackboard) some great adult scissors (and cause spent over £15 on stand a free paper cutter / trimer - plus a couple of other little things - even DH comment on LACK of new stuff coming home.

Never been to Manchester - should I make an effort? (long way to go but maybe I could visit DD2 who lives just outside Chester on same trip)

Penny :)

miffy
19-03-2012, 05:47 PM
Never been to Manchester - should I make an effort? (long way to go but maybe I could visit DD2 who lives just outside Chester on same trip)

Penny :)

I didn't get to Manchester last year but the year before it was good, not so many freebies as we had previously (sign of the times I think) but still did quite well.

I'm looking forward to it anyway

Miffy xx