PDA

View Full Version : A child that throws everything

sarah32
29-05-2008, 03:31 PM
A little boy I look after, hes 14 months has been throwing things for quite a while. it can be toys, his drink bottle, food, everything and wasnt too bad when he was on the floor but now hes mobile and he chucks toys across the room.:(

Ive always told him no and removed the toy from him sometimes as worried its going to hit one of the other children.

Spoke to mum and she thought it was funny, she thinks its because he has a ball at home and they like to throw it to each other. Ive had to say to her that its getting worse in the last couple of weeks. :angry:

He launched a metal toy car across the room the other day and narrowly missed the other toddler.

I hoping its his age and he'll grow out of it soon as can get quite frightning sometimes.

Anybody else had same problem and what did you do????

angeldelight
29-05-2008, 04:19 PM
Sorry but im in the same boat so I know how annoying it can be

The little boy I mind is 18mths and was great till the parents started laughing at him - he now does it for attention

He does it with toys etc and has started to do it with food

I refuse to pick things up now and I do tell him to stop

I have heaps of patience but its getting to me now because the parents encourage it so I have got no hope if they are not going to support me they also laugh
Hes even started to slap mom around the face and they moan but once hes done it more than once then start laughing at him grrrrrr

Hope you manage to stop the little one

Angel xx

Wendy Woo
29-05-2008, 04:29 PM
My son used to do it at that age 14mths, but now at 18mths he only does it wen he is angry or been told of spo i just make sure he has nothin in reach wen he is bein told no. I think all u can do is take away the toys he throws and say no so he understands and hope he grows out of it to.
Sorry its not much help

chez1373
29-05-2008, 07:06 PM
my son used to do this and at times he still does he is now 21/2 but he loves his ball and thatswhat he uses now but he is getting better but it is hard work..

breezy
29-05-2008, 09:01 PM
20 month I mind throws things, I make him go and pick up whatever it is, and give it to me so I can take it away from him. It doesnt stop him but at least it distracts him for awhile and I dont have to keep picking up after him!
I'm lucky though I have parents support :)

Spangles
29-05-2008, 09:04 PM
I've found this link but I'm not sure if it's very helpful or not!

http://www.babycenter.com/404_how-do-i-stop-my-toddler-from-throwing-things_14248.bc

Angela234
31-05-2008, 08:36 PM
I have an 18month old who started with me 2 months ago he threw everything including his plate of food i started by telling him no or if a danger to others take away object but he just kept doing it so i started to take no notice of him, and over the last couple of weeks hes got a lot better he's also playing with toys better rather than throwing then. I hope your little one will stop soon good luck

Angela

jaja
31-05-2008, 09:14 PM
I had this with a lo i looked after, i basically ignored the behaviour (i know how frustrating that is) when the lo saw he wasnt getting any attention then he stopped, took a while but well worth it.

good luck xx

charleyfarley
31-05-2008, 09:46 PM
Lo I mind started doing this a few months ago but it was just a phase. Think he did it more at home than here and when he was in a temper.

He's stopped doing it now just throws himself on the floor instead, definately temper. Which after I see he's not hurt I ignore the behaviour as it is just an attention thing with him.

Carol xx

miffy
01-06-2008, 07:41 AM
I agree it's definitely a stage some toddlers go through and it's hard work making sure they and the other children stay safe.

Thanks for the link Lorri

miffy xx

disney
01-06-2008, 10:58 AM
oh sarah i just wanted to say that i do feel for you hun :) but im afraid theirs no quick answer to this ( wish their was ) my son and many children i have cared for at and around this age have at some point done this & its a time thing they do usually after a whie stop . but i remeber when my son eventually stopped it he went on to throwing him self at floors , raditors , doors , playgrounds ect .:eek: but the good news is they do stop !

sometimes in this job i have had to terminate contracts for children with bad behaviour problems but in this situation its normal and passes and they turn out to be lovely children .stick with it i know its hard especially as you have to keep every one safe . also i would make sure ou keep parents informed and ask them to work with you . im not that impressed with them as i think they need to know its not funny :( x