PDA

View Full Version : Going to the toilet...

*Katrina*
18-03-2012, 07:55 AM
This is such a silly question :blush:

What do you do when you need to go to the toilet?
I know we are supposed to be able to see/hear the children at all times, I live in a flat so my bathroom is next to my living area and with my own children I will happily go to the toilet and leave them to play as I know my 18 month old will be ok for a few minutes and my 6 year old will keep an eye on her for me (he is so mature and helpful for 6 ♥). But what about with minded children? Should I leave the door ajar to be sure I can hear them? Should I take them with me? I know it will depend a lot on age/ability of the children in question but wanted to ask before I start working.

adele1985
18-03-2012, 11:24 AM
This is such a silly question :blush:

What do you do when you need to go to the toilet?
I know we are supposed to be able to see/hear the children at all times, I live in a flat so my bathroom is next to my living area and with my own children I will happily go to the toilet and leave them to play as I know my 18 month old will be ok for a few minutes and my 6 year old will keep an eye on her for me (he is so mature and helpful for 6 ♥). But what about with minded children? Should I leave the door ajar to be sure I can hear them? Should I take them with me? I know it will depend a lot on age/ability of the children in question but wanted to ask before I start working.

Hi hun, this was a question i asked when i started minding.... I just make sure there is no risks close the baby gate to the playroom tell the children where im going and just go lol i take my dog with me to the toilet so i know the children wont harrass him when im not there :rolleyes:

Chimps Childminding
18-03-2012, 11:29 AM
I don't take them to the toilet with me (I don't think its appropriate - especially at that time of the month iyswim):panic: I make sure they are happily playing and just nip out! I have a downstairs toilet so leave the door open so they can talk to me and I can hear what they are up to! In my opinion they are safer in the dining room where it is child proofed (as much as it can be) than wandering round my utility room as there isn't room for us all in my tiny bathroom!!

gegele
18-03-2012, 11:37 AM
i put the baby in the playpen, the toddler goes at bottom of the stairs and check i go toilet LOL my bathroom is at top of the stair and i talk to her.

:blush: for longer business i tend to try to wait nap time :D

christine e
18-03-2012, 11:45 AM
Same as Carolyn but the little ones 2- 3 tend to follow me and stand by the door but when older children are present I do close the door think it would be most inappropriate to have the door open when 11 year old boys present

Mouse
18-03-2012, 11:56 AM
Do the same as you would with your own children. You get to know which children you can safely leave and which ones you can't.

I keep a basic buggy indoors and can pop a child in there if I need to. Others I just tell I'm going up to the toilet and tell them to play nicely while I'm gone!

TooEarlyForGin?
18-03-2012, 12:56 PM
Do the same as you would with your own children. You get to know which children you can safely leave and which ones you can't.

I keep a basic buggy indoors and can pop a child in there if I need to. Others I just tell I'm going up to the toilet and tell them to play nicely while I'm gone!

Totally agree with mouse. It depends on your children. If they are playing happily and you know they are OK, go for goodness sake. But I know I have one little girl who can get "overenthusiastic" with the smaller ones and pull them around, so I take the little one with me.

The Juggler
18-03-2012, 04:05 PM
i have a loo by my back door. I have bug posters all over the walls just outside. so toddlers are left playing happily (front door is chained) or can come into kitchen. i take baby and pop her on the floor looking at the bugs and talk to her whilst I'm in the loo

PixiePetal
18-03-2012, 04:47 PM

Me too. The 1 yr old usually follows me but by the time she gets to me at the downstairs loo I am finished :)

funemnx
18-03-2012, 05:19 PM
I always get followed by all of them, they wait outside the door asking me questions - I haven't been to the loo all by myself for years!! :laughing:

The Juggler
18-03-2012, 05:30 PM
I always get followed by all of them, they wait outside the door asking me questions - I haven't been to the loo all by myself for years!! :laughing:

:laughing: so who follows you to the loo when you are NOT working :laughing:

funemnx
18-03-2012, 07:21 PM
:laughing: so who follows you to the loo when you are NOT working :laughing:

But I'm always working - we all are aren't we? According to our lovely lo's parents! :rolleyes:

:laughing::laughing:

*Katrina*
18-03-2012, 07:50 PM
Thanks everyone, I've had a bit of a laugh reading the replies :laughing: