PDA

View Full Version : Planning struggle (and a bit of a whinge)

fluff1975
17-03-2012, 04:22 PM
Having spent 12 years working in school nurseries I became pretty confident at planning for 3&4 year olds.

Now I'm minding a 21m old and a 2.5 year old, and I'm stuck beyond words and can't seem to get the planning off the ground.

I have the 21m old for 2 days and the 2.5yr old for just 5 hours on one of the same days. (I've actually had the 21m old since she was 11m and yet for some reason planning hasn't been an issue until now! Possibly as she's doing lots more?)

Anyhow, I can't seem to get away from trying to plan as I would at nursery. I'm really struggling to keep it simple. I'm used to planning to themes but they just don't allow the flexibility that these children require. It's not helped that Ofsted STILL haven't given me a graded inspection me yet so I've no feedback other than the progress the children are making plus feedback from parents.

Reading through all the posts on here about planning is just getting me into such a tizz as it all sounds so fabulous! I'm reading far too much and doing far too little :(

I know I can do it, I just don't seem to know how :panic:

sarah707
17-03-2012, 04:44 PM
Planning for under 3s is about...

Following home routines as much as possible - sleep, food etc

Environment and resources - making sure they meet the needs of the child

Outings - to the park, ducks, library, to see friends

Interests - watch and listen and talk to parents about what the child likes / is doing / can do and follow that with more activities.

Leave the themes for the over 3s who will appreciate your hard work and benefit from a more structured learning environment.

Hth :D

fluff1975
17-03-2012, 05:51 PM
Thanks Sarah. That's what I'm doing but my brain has been trying to convince me I need to do more!
I'm desperate for Ofsted to come, a) to get it out of the way, and b) to reassure me I'm doing things right.

I must be mad!

Loushah
17-03-2012, 06:48 PM
Could you ask your local Development Officer for a visit and they will be able to go through your paperwork and give you advice... That is what I am going to do this week

fluff1975
17-03-2012, 07:06 PM
Could you ask your local Development Officer for a visit and they will be able to go through your paperwork and give you advice... That is what I am going to do this week

Thanks Loushah, she's been very recently and says everything is fantastic! I think I'm having a bit of a crisis of confidence - just lost my full-timer, Ofsted being useless beyond belief and we've recently had a bout of illness which led to grumpy parents. Oh the joys hey?!