PDA

View Full Version : Do you have anything worded in a policy for behaviour of parents

clorogue
17-03-2012, 03:18 PM
I am reviewing my policies at the moment.

I was thinking if there was a breakdown with communication with a parent or you didn't see eye to eye or maybe their behaviour wasn't acceptable do you cover yourself in a policy with a right to terminate the contract, whether it be for the notice period or in more severe circumstances immediately.

Thank you!

Greengrass74
17-03-2012, 03:31 PM
Not sure if this is something that should be in a policy, maybe it should be incorporated into the contract, maybe under the rights to cancellation heading.

rickysmiths
17-03-2012, 04:00 PM
If a parents behaviour is threatening or abusive or may cause a danger to me, my family or the children in my care and a simple please don't do it doesn't work I use the NCMA Contracts and it says on them that in those circumstances I can terminate with immediate effect and the parent still has to pay the money for four weeks notice.

So no I don't have a policy because it is covered in my contracts.

The Juggler
17-03-2012, 04:04 PM
I am reviewing my policies at the moment.

I was thinking if there was a breakdown with communication with a parent or you didn't see eye to eye or maybe their behaviour wasn't acceptable do you cover yourself in a policy with a right to terminate the contract, whether it be for the notice period or in more severe circumstances immediately.

Thank you!

I do, this is part of a bigger section on dealing with problems together but it goes

"If there is behaviour which is harmful to other children, adults or property I will in the first instance meet with you to discuss a plan as above. Should the behaviour continue however, or become unmanageable in terms of keeping other children/property safe, we may have to discuss a short break from the setting whilst we work on the behaviour management and discuss a way forward. Likewise if there are any extreme incidences of behaviour or your child becomes upset to the point that they need to be held or restrained to avoid injury to themselves or others, I would feel it necessary to call a parent or emergency contact to collect the child. You may wish to speak to a Health Visitor or seek advice from a third party service through or together with the setting at this point (see Family Support Policy) so that we together we can provide the best care for your child.

Ultimately, my aim would be to work with you to support your child to overcome any emotional issues underlying your child’s upset or behaviour and to do everything possible in the setting to make them feel more comfortable. However, should we see no improvements, be unable to resolve situation or your child shows signs of becoming even more upset, then it may be in your child’s best interests to look for a setting to which they are more suited (i.e. One to one care with another minder or nanny or a group care setting with more adults). In these circumstances it would probably be in your child’s interests to terminate the care arrangement, either with or without notice. This would only be a last resort and would be agreed after full discussion with yourself."

:)

clorogue
17-03-2012, 04:13 PM
I do, this is part of a bigger section on dealing with problems together but it goes

"If there is behaviour which is harmful to other children, adults or property I will in the first instance meet with you to discuss a plan as above. Should the behaviour continue however, or become unmanageable in terms of keeping other children/property safe, we may have to discuss a short break from the setting whilst we work on the behaviour management and discuss a way forward. Likewise if there are any extreme incidences of behaviour or your child becomes upset to the point that they need to be held or restrained to avoid injury to themselves or others, I would feel it necessary to call a parent or emergency contact to collect the child. You may wish to speak to a Health Visitor or seek advice from a third party service through or together with the setting at this point (see Family Support Policy) so that we together we can provide the best care for your child.

Ultimately, my aim would be to work with you to support your child to overcome any emotional issues underlying your child’s upset or behaviour and to do everything possible in the setting to make them feel more comfortable. However, should we see no improvements, be unable to resolve situation or your child shows signs of becoming even more upset, then it may be in your child’s best interests to look for a setting to which they are more suited (i.e. One to one care with another minder or nanny or a group care setting with more adults). In these circumstances it would probably be in your child’s interests to terminate the care arrangement, either with or without notice. This would only be a last resort and would be agreed after full discussion with yourself."

Juggler thank you so much for your time on this post but I meant parents behaviour - do you have anything in that instance. Thank you!

sarah707
17-03-2012, 05:02 PM
I have something in my confidentiality policy about parents not talking about me and my family and respecting our confidentiality and reserve the right to give immediate notice.

However no, I don't have anything specifically about parents behaviour. I think it would be more of a reactive thing, if there was an issue.

Hth :D

clorogue
17-03-2012, 05:09 PM
I have something in my confidentiality policy about parents not talking about me and my family and respecting our confidentiality and reserve the right to give immediate notice.

However no, I don't have anything specifically about parents behaviour. I think it would be more of a reactive thing, if there was an issue.

THank you Sarah, if there was an incident then between yourself and a parent, and you didn't feel comfortable about it. Do you then have the right to give immediate notice, or terminate immediate the contract immediately if there wasn't a policy in place.

sarah707
17-03-2012, 05:15 PM
Hmmm interesting question. At the moment we reserve the right to terminate for -

drug or alcohol use

Over 8s affecting the care of little ones

Confidentiality issues

Non payment - I am with MM, you cannot do this with NCMA insurance without following your contract and giving month notice

Child's continuing inappropriate behaviour causing injury / serious concern

And during the settling in period.

Are you thinking that there should be something about parents behaviour in there as well? I think you might be right... :D

Bluebell
17-03-2012, 05:25 PM
Hmmm interesting question. At the moment we reserve the right to terminate for -

drug or alcohol use

Over 8s affecting the care of little ones

Confidentiality issues

Non payment - I am with MM, you cannot do this with NCMA insurance without following your contract and giving month notice

Child's continuing inappropriate behaviour causing injury / serious concern

And during the settling in period.

Are you thinking that there should be something about parents behaviour in there as well? I think you might be right... :D

hmm Sarah - didn't know that about the NCMA contract - why do I have to give 4 weeks notice for non-payment? That means that I would have to address a parent immediately with non payment by terminating the contract otherwise if say I said oh you haven't paid can you make sure you pay me by next week and they still don't pay and then give 4 weeks notice I am working for 5 weeks without pay - that hardly seems fair to the childminder!
I am switching to NCMA from MM and assumed if I say I want payment in advance and the parents don't pay then it is in fact them that are in breach of contract. (A no pay no stay policy so to speak)

I was with MM for insurance last year but a member of NCMA and it didn't seem cost affective. With all the bad reviews NCMA are getting on here at the moment I'm thinking I should have dropped NCMA not MM!

Guess I will have to look at this when I receive the paperwork!

clorogue
17-03-2012, 05:28 PM
Yes I am, what if the parent was really stressed and very sharp with you or quite aggressive in his/her mannerisms or for instance was causing disruption outside by being very loud and you had neighbours, I am thinking about all different instances like this. I mean we are running a business from our homes and I like many others have respect for my neighbours and you really didn't feel happy with the way parent acted inside/outside. It really just would be to cover ourselves, that if we felt very uncomfortable in a situation that we had the right to terminate immediately and if so would we ask for the months payment or not - I think that would be a difficult one. What do you think? Do you think it should be put in contracts if we write one or in a policy?

sarah707
17-03-2012, 05:53 PM
hmm Sarah - didn't know that about the NCMA contract - why do I have to give 4 weeks notice for non-payment? That means that I would have to address a parent immediately with non payment by terminating the contract otherwise if say I said oh you haven't paid can you make sure you pay me by next week and they still don't pay and then give 4 weeks notice I am working for 5 weeks without pay - that hardly seems fair to the childminder!
I am switching to NCMA from MM and assumed if I say I want payment in advance and the parents don't pay then it is in fact them that are in breach of contract. (A no pay no stay policy so to speak)

I was with MM for insurance last year but a member of NCMA and it didn't seem cost affective. With all the bad reviews NCMA are getting on here at the moment I'm thinking I should have dropped NCMA not MM!

Guess I will have to look at this when I receive the paperwork!

If you are insured by NCMA then you need to use their contracts if you want to be fully covered in case of problems.

If you use their contracts then you have to follow their procedure for non payment which is to give notice, work through notice, terminate and then claim back any money (under £150 is not covered).

It is all detailed in this information sheet in free downloads at the top of the forum.

http://childmindinghelp.co.uk/freeresources/Free%20downloads/nonpayingparents.html

The most important thing if you are insured with NCMA, from what I can tell (my opinion), is to make sure you get your payments in advance from parents. Then you are only down a month, rather than 2 if there's a problem.

sarah707
17-03-2012, 05:57 PM
Yes I am, what if the parent was really stressed and very sharp with you or quite aggressive in his/her mannerisms or for instance was causing disruption outside by being very loud and you had neighbours, I am thinking about all different instances like this. I mean we are running a business from our homes and I like many others have respect for my neighbours and you really didn't feel happy with the way parent acted inside/outside. It really just would be to cover ourselves, that if we felt very uncomfortable in a situation that we had the right to terminate immediately and if so would we ask for the months payment or not - I think that would be a difficult one. What do you think? Do you think it should be put in contracts if we write one or in a policy?

I was wondering about the fees policy issue too... I don't think you could reasonably ask someone to pay you if you had told them to leave... you'd be asking for a malicious complaint for a start wouldn't you??

Interesting... I wonder what others think? :D

Rosy Days
17-03-2012, 06:01 PM
Hi there, I'm in the process of updating my policies, with help from this forum, I updated my exclusion policy last night, i might tweak it abit but it does state 'adults and children' this is what I have so far:-

'I will make every effort to work with you and your child, however, in the event of gross misconduct by adults or children using my childminding provision I reserve the right to terminate a contract with immediate effect. Examples of gross misconduct might include continual threatening and aggressive behaviour towards me or children in my care; children in my care being physically harmed; continually using inappropriate language (swearing) or using racist comments; theft and deliberate damage to my home etc.

The Juggler
17-03-2012, 06:02 PM
Juggler thank you so much for your time on this post but I meant parents behaviour - do you have anything in that instance. Thank you!

haha sorry just read this more carefully. :laughing::laughing: I'm reading some of these posts far to speedily :blush: I have a similarly worded bit for parents in my parent partnership policy :thumbsup: but relating to their appropriate behaviour and speaking to them in first instance but if I feel behaviour is aggressive or harmful towards me/others I will issue a written intention to give immediate notice if such behaviour continues (not exact wording but along those lines).

In addition I had a problem with parent abusive behaviour in a notice period. NCMA then told me I had to tell her in writing that if her behaviour continued I would terminate with immediate effect. Then if it happened again, I could terminate citing her behaviour. :thumbsup:

The Juggler
17-03-2012, 06:10 PM
exact wording :)

• To respect me, my family, my property and my neighbours, so that even when issues arise we can deal with these with some mutual respect and politeness. Any aggressive behaviour (whether verbal or physical) will not be tolerated and I will give a written warning that if such behaviour does not stop immediately, the contract will be terminated immediately without notice.

clorogue
17-03-2012, 06:10 PM
Interesting replies, yes that is an interesting one Juggler. You had given notice and the parent got abusive, you had to write a letter mmmm there are so many scenarios aren't there to cover this. It is just wording something covering them all.

Rosy Days your wording seems great - anyone else have any thoughts on this?

Thanks Sarah too - interesting discussion.

rickysmiths
17-03-2012, 11:04 PM
If you are insured by NCMA then you need to use their contracts if you want to be fully covered in case of problems.

If you use their contracts then you have to follow their procedure for non payment which is to give notice, work through notice, terminate and then claim back any money (under £150 is not covered).

It is all detailed in this information sheet in free downloads at the top of the forum.

http://childmindinghelp.co.uk/freeresources/Free%20downloads/nonpayingparents.html

The most important thing if you are insured with NCMA, from what I can tell (my opinion), is to make sure you get your payments in advance from parents. Then you are only down a month, rather than 2 if there's a problem.

This is one reason why I take a four weeks fees deposit when a contract is signed and it is used at the end of the contract for the four weeks notice as long as all fees are paid up to date and they have been with me longer than 6 months. They then pay fees on the 1st of the month in advance.

clorogue
19-03-2012, 09:24 AM
I just want to thank everyone for their input on this thread, I am going to put some wording in my 'working in partnership with parents policy' as you never know what could happen and it covers me.

Thanks a million again.

:thumbsup:

Twinkle-Toes
05-04-2012, 02:54 PM
Sorry to bump this thread up again but...

I find myself in this position :(

I have a behaviour management policy which is about the child's behaviour but nothing which covers the parents behaviour.

After an incident this week I am calling a meeting with the parents tonight and will offer them 2 options, immediate notice with their consent or I'll have to honour the 4 weeks as I have NOTHING in either my contract or policies.

Will be writing 1 tonight!! (and possibly borrowing some of the above mentioned wording!)

sarah707
05-04-2012, 04:57 PM
Sorry to bump this thread up again but...

I find myself in this position :(

I have a behaviour management policy which is about the child's behaviour but nothing which covers the parents behaviour.

After an incident this week I am calling a meeting with the parents tonight and will offer them 2 options, immediate notice with their consent or I'll have to honour the 4 weeks as I have NOTHING in either my contract or policies.

Will be writing 1 tonight!! (and possibly borrowing some of the above mentioned wording!)

Oh heck that's not fair for you if they insist on the notice period :(

Don't you have anything at all relating to inappropriate behaviour or instant contract termination that you can quote?

Hugs xx

Twinkle-Toes
05-04-2012, 05:17 PM
Nope :( Checked all my p&p's and contract. Only about the children.

I never even thought I would be going through this (as most of us i presume!) but it's opened my eyes totally.

All over something that wasn't even debatable (Illness)!!

sarah707
05-04-2012, 05:54 PM
Check with your insurance company.

If there's a question mark over your personal safety (threatening language or behaviour) they should be able to back you.

xx

The Juggler
05-04-2012, 10:26 PM
hon, when I had this NCMA told me I had only to warn the parent not to behave this way (and put in writing too) or I would terminate immediately. You CAN do this. :thumbsup:

Heaven Scent
06-04-2012, 06:11 AM
I know its our job to protect the children that we care for at all times during our working hours but surely the best way we can do this is by protecting ourselves and nobody thinks about that do they. We are very very vulnerable working from home everyone knows where we and our families are at all times and we need better protection and the sooner the better.

Its a very sad state of affairs that while the vast majority of people can conduct themselves in a reasonable manner even when angry that there are just the odd few who feel they have the right to lose control and bully others to get what they want and that's what makes it scary - I've had parents banging on my door and badgering my children over a £30 deposit that they wanted returning even though they weren't entitled to it - it went on during my working hours and over the week-end and Mr T himself was working away so I hadn't got him to offer some visual protection or be an adult witness - I ended up getting the police involved and although they stopped the harassment they also gave me a warning not to approach them again - as if - but I felt very hard done by.

I also feel we owe it to our families especially our children to have something in place to protect them and I hold my hands up here and admit I haven't so that's the next thing on my agenda when I get back from Ireland.

Nobody gives us or our families a second thought in all of this - its about time we were considered.

lynnfi
06-04-2012, 07:49 PM
I feel for you! But regardless of P&P, there are laws saying that we cannot put the children in danger, aren't there? It IS in the EYFS.
I would terminate the contract with immediate effect stating that the situation is becoming a threat as to the children's wellbeing and right to a quiet and secure setting.
And that their behaviour being unacceptable along these lines, affecting both yourself and them, I follow the guidelines set by NCMA and terminate the contract without any notice.
I would not claim any money for the care I will not give, but ask for immediate payment should they owe anything.
I would in no case give them a choice.
I think you need to call your insurance and ask if sth along this scenario is possible.
Fingers crossed for you!