PDA

View Full Version : Childminder Illness

Cariad
17-03-2012, 10:10 AM
Hi All,
a friend of mine is looking for child care, she has considered childminders and nurseries and although she would really prefer a childminder, she has decided to go down the nursery route. The reason for this is what happens when the childminder is ill or closes. She is a teacher so is unable to book time off work term time.
Is there anything you do to persuade parents that this shouldn't cause too much of a problem? I must admit, this is also the reason that I sent DS to a nursery when I was working full time.
How does it work if you are ill but can give names of alternative childminders to try for the day? Do they have to have previously signed contracts with the parents or would this be counted as emergency care? I'm confused

Toothfairy
17-03-2012, 10:19 AM
I've only just come back to work after having to take a week off with a bad back.
I have a back up CM who took some of my little ones and one family got Granny over for the week and my DH (my assistant when at home) continued with school runs.

At the beginning of the contract, when going through P&P's, I do say that although I am very rarely off ill, these things do happen. I am a one man band and although I have a back up CM, I do ask them to have someone in mind who could step in in an emergency.

In the 6 years I have been minding, I have only been off ill 4 times.

HTH :thumbsup:

EmmaReed84
17-03-2012, 10:22 AM
I have 3 emergency childminders although they are more or less full. Ofsted said they can apply for an emergency variation over the phone should the need to on a day they would be over... But you would need to double check this.

Also all my parents have met the other minders so knows them, also I visit them regularly so my mindees know them and their children. I have had to use them on a few occasions, but no need to call Ofsted as they were not over and parents were fine about it. I did give themt he choice about taking time off or going to other CM.

This is something that will be down to the individual CM and parent.

francinejayne
17-03-2012, 10:25 AM
In 2 years of childminding I have only taken time off once due to my illness - unfortunately my illness lasted 3 months!!! :eek:

it was obviously not planned or expected and at the time I cared for children from 5 families. somehow during that time they all managed to find alternative care - 2 with 2 different minders that I recommended to them, and the others with families. it was a pain to all concerned, but it is one of those things.

thankfully when I returned to minding I got all children back with the exception of one family whose mum was made redundant while I was ill, so I would have lost them anyway.

I guess as a parent seeking childcare there are pros and cons for each type of childcare provider - it depends on your priorities.

flowerpots
17-03-2012, 10:26 AM
I have 3 emergency childminders although they are more or less full. Ofsted said they can apply for an emergency variation over the phone should the need to on a day they would be over... But you would need to double check this.

Also all my parents have met the other minders so knows them, also I visit them regularly so my mindees know them and their children. I have had to use them on a few occasions, but no need to call Ofsted as they were not over and parents were fine about it. I did give themt he choice about taking time off or going to other CM.

This is something that will be down to the individual CM and parent.

This is what i also do. :thumbsup:

debh
17-03-2012, 10:26 AM
I co-mind we my daughter and we tend to battle on through the normal colds, etc. We have only closed twice in the 4 years we have been minding together. We also have an assistant who came help out if we have emergencies appointments etc.

caz3007
17-03-2012, 10:30 AM
I have been minding for nearly 7 years now and had I think its 2 days off. One was the other week and really should have had longer off, but managed with just one day and the other was when a friends son was killed and I just couldnt function for crying.

Any other things I have needed time off for have always come with a few days notice and I offer a really flexible service to my parents, so they are more than willing to be flexible when I have needed it. Luckily my current full timer does have other people and favours she can ask and when I had the one day off last week, she had sorted the whole week out just in case....LO would have have multiple carers each day, but she would have been ok.

EmmaReed84
17-03-2012, 10:32 AM
Another thing to consider is not so much OUR illness, as Debh, most Mums tend to battle through most minor things, but if you have young children of your own and they are ill.

If you have policies thats state mindee children with X Y or Z will be excluded, then you need to think about your own children also and closing your setting for the same amount of time. I ONCE gave the parent a choice of sending their child AT THEIR OWN RISK! Their kids caught it and expected me to have them as they caught it from my son, I could hardly say no (until they were sick!) So bare that in mind... I now close and follow my own policies!

Twinkles
17-03-2012, 10:35 AM
I co mind with my DH so between us we're usually fine. We also work closely with 4 other minders so in an emergency one of them would be able to cover.

PixiePetal
17-03-2012, 10:56 AM
I am rarely ill and battle on at a slow pace more than I would if I was going out to work even if I am a bit rough - colds, aches and pains etc

I had a week off when I snapped ligaments in my knee but as soon as I could weigh bear again was back to working but stayed at home with mindees and friends with children came to me instead.

I have CM friends who children know and we sometimes have each others if not overnumbered

Cariad
17-03-2012, 12:15 PM
Thanks for your replies. I think it's swings and roundabouts in terms of what you what for your children and I think this is a sticky issue for parents. Just to clarify, if I was called and asked if I could take a child THAT day due to another cm closing unexpectedly for the day, would I need to have a contract with those parents, contact details, medical issues etc?

Rosy Days
18-03-2012, 10:34 PM
Just to clarify, if I was called and asked if I could take a child THAT day due to another cm closing unexpectedly for the day, would I need to have a contract with those parents, contact details, medical issues etc?

This is what I was going to ask also, if I was ill would the backup cm need copies of all medical notes, permission forms etc? :) x

Tealady
18-03-2012, 10:40 PM
This is what I was going to ask also, if I was ill would the backup cm need copies of all medical notes, permission forms etc? :) x

Yes they would.

tulip0803
18-03-2012, 10:58 PM
Thanks for your replies. I think it's swings and roundabouts in terms of what you what for your children and I think this is a sticky issue for parents. Just to clarify, if I was called and asked if I could take a child THAT day due to another cm closing unexpectedly for the day, would I need to have a contract with those parents, contact details, medical issues etc?

As you are in Wales in particular it is in our NMS that childminding does not take place without a contract being in place. You would also need all the forms you would normally need. In Wales it is slightly different to OFSTED and from what I have been told by other minders CSSIW will not normally grant emergency variations due to another childminder's or their child's sickness, so they can only take a child on if they have space available. In an emergency an emergency childminder can take charge of the children from another childminder and go over numbers only to call parents and await the immediate collection of the children.

I have had a few days off last year and all parents were fine - I rarely take time off for ilness I battle through like the rest. With my children if they are really bad Grandma loves to nurse them so I can work if it is not V&D. If they are not too bad I tend to call parents and give them the option to bring or not and I will not charge if they decide not to bring - most bring them.

LauraS
19-03-2012, 12:06 AM
I used a childminder for my middle child for two years full time, and she didn't have a single day off (due to illness/unforseen circs, she was awesome!).

I used a nursery for my youngest, and in the winter of 2009/10 they closed due to snow for six days as staff couldn't make it to work. Last winter I gather was even worse, but we were no longer using them by that point.

I think I'd rather take my chances with a childminder.

miffy
19-03-2012, 07:45 AM
I have two childminders who are my back-up emergency/holiday cover and I am theirs. Obviously it depends whether they have spaces but I can only think of a couple of occasions when they haven't been able to help me out.

Miffy xx

wendywu
19-03-2012, 09:05 AM
Never had a day off sick in 15 years, tough as old boots me :thumbsup:

Never had to close because my own two were sick when they were little, so they must take after me :D

Cariad
21-03-2012, 10:00 PM
Thanks for your replies, at least it's a bit clearer now!