PDA

View Full Version : toy storage?!

welshgirl
16-03-2012, 10:27 PM
Just thinking of re organising my toy storage. Just after some fresh ideas of what to do. Unfortunately I don't have a play room, so everything is in my sitting room. How do you go about organising your room for the children?

watgem
17-03-2012, 10:09 AM
I'm the same as you Welshgirl so I would be very interested in the replies as we are all getting a bit tired of our living room resembling Toys r us lol!

Chimps Childminding
17-03-2012, 10:18 AM
I use my dining room for childminding and have 2 argos wooden units with plastic boxes in them! But if it were my lounge I would get the Expedit range from Ikea (still trying to pursuade hubby that I need these in the dining room :rolleyes:) and put the toys in boxes/baskets so that at the week-end they are out of sight!!

http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/categories/series/09064/

Hope the link works!!!

janminder
17-03-2012, 10:40 AM
I too use my sitting room and used to have the large see through plastic boxes with lids in a corner of the room six of them piled two high with loose toys like bricks, cars, toy food in and the more 'solid' toys like fisher price farm hospital stacked up along side which did look a bit unsightly so I got a twelve hole wooden unit with plastic boxes so at least its a nice looking piece of furniture and I have some books and games stored on top. The rest of my toys including the larger ones tunnels, tents, easel, prams are stored in a largish understair cupboard.

Chimps Childminding
17-03-2012, 02:35 PM
Another option would be a large ottoman/wicker chest that larger things could be put in!

Loushah
17-03-2012, 04:19 PM
I use my dining room for childminding and have 2 argos wooden units with plastic boxes in them! But if it were my lounge I would get the Expedit range from Ikea (still trying to pursuade hubby that I need these in the dining room :rolleyes:) and put the toys in boxes/baskets so that at the week-end they are out of sight!!

http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/categories/series/09064/

Hope the link works!!!

I want one too but hubby thinks it's a luxury that we don't need right now but then I do have a massive wish list which has just got even bigger after going to the education show today!

Chimps Childminding
17-03-2012, 04:55 PM
I want one too but hubby thinks it's a luxury that we don't need right now but then I do have a massive wish list which has just got even bigger after going to the education show today!

Mine thinks that the Argos ones I have got are more forgiving as they are pine so can be sanded, varnished or painted when they get too knocked about!!! I know he's probably right, but I want an Expedit one :crying:

sillybeans
17-03-2012, 05:24 PM
I use my sitting room too and have the Expedit range.

I use the ikea Drona boxes in them - i use fabric paint to label them and then on a Friday I turn the boxes around to the blank side and they just look like normal storage - no kiddies stuff in sight :p

kellib
17-03-2012, 07:54 PM
I have these - http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/20210752/ they say they are bedside tables but I use them as toy boxes. They hold a lot and are easy to put away in my storage cupboard at weekends/holidays!

tialil
18-03-2012, 12:12 AM
We built this from 4 cube unts from B and Q many years ago.Its made of pine and stained white. If it chips we just sand it down. Only down side is I wish I could cover it when we are on hols ;)

JulieA
18-03-2012, 09:57 AM
We built this from 4 cube unts from B and Q many years ago.Its made of pine and stained white. If it chips we just sand it down. Only down side is I wish I could cover it when we are on hols ;)

How about attaching a beaded curtain to what looks to be a slopey bit at the side? You could pull it back when you are using it.

sunflower
18-03-2012, 10:28 AM
Hi how about the strechy net cutain wire hooked into top shelf box, then you could put light curtain/matrial up when you dont want to look at it any longer (just a thought) its difficult you have to use your living space.

tialil
18-03-2012, 11:10 AM
We have looked into screens, roller blinds, curtains but as we use the tv in the evenings it has to be kept free for the air to circulate. We used to use this room as my playroom and the front room as the family room, but as my children turned into teens and one plays a guitar non stop we let them take over the front room so that they had a space for homework, guitar, to bring their friends home as well . :)

fluff1975
18-03-2012, 11:16 AM
This is our biggest disagreement too!

Our girls are 4 & 7 so I tend to keep stuff up in their room and bring down what I want to use each day. However as mindees are much much younger I also have a pine toy box in the living room which doubles up as a coffee table when not in use! My friend was throwing it out; I'd never have been able to afford one otherwise! I also have a leksvik (sp) bookcase in the dining room (freecycle) which holds my paperwork (in nice ring binders!) and boardgames, puzzles, fuzzy felt etc.

I have a 'choosing book' which has photographs of all the stuff I don't want to keep downstairs and the mindees know they can find the picture of the activity they want and I can get it for them.

We're lucky to have a lean-to conservatory which has a tiled floor. Unless its freezing or boiling hot, we can have crafty & messy bits out in there which I keep on a shelving unit in there.

I'd still love more and ideally would like a playroom, first and formost for my own two, but for mindees also!

TooEarlyForGin?
19-03-2012, 08:28 AM
I have so much stuff I ended up having a 8x6 shed in the garden and continually rotate toys to keep it interesting. This is only for my plastics, all my puzzles and games are on an ikea shelving unit upstairs, craft work in 8 stacking storage boxes under the stairs, and two large ottamans in the playroom for general everyday toys,http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/9049660/Trail/searchtext%3EOTTAMAN.htm as well as a book basket which stays out. I also have 3 plastic stacking boxes outside for outdoor toys, and we live in a small 400 year old cottage... we are bursting at the seams.