PDA

View Full Version : PPL - childminders do not need a licence to play music!

Penny1959
16-03-2012, 07:49 PM
So there I was doing snack time this afternoon when Sarah 707 phoned me - she was very excited and saying 'We have done it, we have done it Penny'

Once she had calmed down (a little) she told me that we had both had an email from the very helpful man at Public Perforance Licence UK

AND - they have added a very important line

A PPL licence would normally also be applicable if your sole use of music is to educate children as instructed by a recognised curriculum. However, although licensable under the terms of the CDPA (1988), PPL chooses not to license the use of its repertoire in a childminder’s home for this purpose

So there we have it - after months of keeping on about this we now have the result we wanted :clapping::clapping::clapping:

By now I was just as excited as Sarah - and I think we both need a pat on the back.:D

I have attatched the new factsheet - please do share with as many as possible as PPL want ALL childminders to know about this.

Penny :)

aly
16-03-2012, 07:51 PM
Fab news Penny, and Sarah.

I for one am happy I don't have to lose money listening to music in my own house.

Thank you for this

xx

desiderata
16-03-2012, 07:53 PM
See told you you two should take over things xx Well done on getting that sorted for us for once and all hopefully. I would like to extend my thanks to you for all your hard work not just on this occassion but on the many other issues around x:clapping::clapping::clapping:

Katiekoo
16-03-2012, 07:56 PM
Brilliant WOW!!! You guys are fantastic :clapping:
Now this is the kind of persistent action and results we need in Childminders' representation at a national level!

blue bear
16-03-2012, 07:58 PM
Thank you both of you, where would we be without you?

flowerpots
16-03-2012, 07:59 PM
Thank you ladies you are both FABULOUS! xxx :clapping:

singingcactus
16-03-2012, 08:01 PM
That is awesome Penny. See, all it needs is someone sensible to talk on our behalf in a calm way and progress is made. You are both stars, and a MAJOR loss to the NCMA!

AgentTink
16-03-2012, 08:04 PM
This is fantastic. This is why I believe that childminders can do all the things that the NCMA are supposed to do. Penny I have jotted down some ideas of ways to move things forward following your post on the thread on you leaving the NCMA were I offered my help. I will pm them to you over the weekend. Massive thank you and Sarah for your hard work and persistence.

tashaleee
16-03-2012, 08:07 PM
Great news! Thanks to you both :thumbsup::clapping:

WibbleWobble
16-03-2012, 08:07 PM
i think we need a break away childminders association.......sarah and penny as chairs.

wonder what we could call it?

mandy xxxx

rickysmiths
16-03-2012, 08:13 PM
Well done both of you. You should both feel very proud because I know the work that you have put in. Dh also says well done :thumbsup:

I hope you have told NCMA Penny, or have they emailed them the document?

rickysmiths
16-03-2012, 08:13 PM
i think we need a break away childminders association.......sarah and penny as chairs.

wonder what we could call it?

mandy xxxx

The Real Childminding Association?

The Professional Childminders Association?

Penny1959
16-03-2012, 08:15 PM
This is fantastic. This is why I believe that childminders can do all the things that the NCMA are supposed to do. Penny I have jotted down some ideas of ways to move things forward following your post on the thread on you leaving the NCMA were I offered my help. I will pm them to you over the weekend. Massive thank you and Sarah for your hard work and persistence.

Thank you - that would be great.

Have you seen Pipsqueaks post about what you would like from a representive body?

Penny:)

The Juggler
16-03-2012, 08:18 PM
:clapping::clapping::clapping::clapping: go you two!!!!!!!!! you are fab :clapping::clapping:

winstonian
16-03-2012, 08:19 PM
Well done ladies x

Tatjana
16-03-2012, 08:19 PM
You guys rock! :thumbsup:

Penny1959
16-03-2012, 08:20 PM
Well done both of you. You should both feel very proud because I know the work that you have put in. Dh also says well done :thumbsup:

I hope you have told NCMA Penny, or have they emailed them the document?

It is a PPL document - NCMA have also been working with PPL and yes they have a copy.

NCMA have told PPL they will only be issuing to their members - PPL have told NCMA that Sarah and I will be postingon forums with PPL's full permission.

I am guessing that NCMA will not be giving me any credit this time round!

Carol M
16-03-2012, 08:24 PM
WOW :clapping::clapping:
Well done ladies :clapping::clapping:
My next challenge is......
I'll think of one soon:D
Carol xx

aly
16-03-2012, 08:26 PM
What next Sarah and Penny?.....next step...taking over the world

:laughing::laughing:

Suebb1
16-03-2012, 08:27 PM
Well done you to dedicated ladies. Thanks for all your hard work and the amount of time and effort you have put into it re phone calls etc xxxx

marian
16-03-2012, 08:40 PM
:clapping::clapping: The dynamic Duo!!! Thank you x

Marian x

littletreasures
16-03-2012, 08:41 PM
Well done :clapping::clapping: and thank you x

sarah707
16-03-2012, 08:44 PM
I have to say that once we got to talk to the right people at PPL and explained what childminders do (they weren't sure to start with) and how we work with children and follow a curriculum like schools etc they were more than reasonable.

In fact they were lovely to deal with, always friendly and gave us both lots of time to make sure that they fully understood what we were saying about childminders as educators - rather than just businesses that have music in the background.

I am sure that Penny will agree - it was refreshing to be treated as professionals by them and to be listened to... and of course it's fab that we have the result we knew was right for all childminders :clapping:

Allie
16-03-2012, 08:45 PM
Thankyou:clapping::clapping::clapping::clapping::c lapping:

uf353432
16-03-2012, 08:49 PM
great result ladies - pats on the back all round. So if we get a knock on the door and the tv is on we just have to show its for education purposes and not entertainment ;)

silvermist
16-03-2012, 09:06 PM
Wow! what an acheivement for you both, thank you so much :clapping::clapping::clapping:

Kiddleywinks
16-03-2012, 09:26 PM
That is awesome Penny. See, all it needs is someone sensible to talk on our behalf in a calm way and progress is made. You are both stars, and a MAJOR loss to the NCMA!

ABSOLUTELY! :clapping::clapping:

ps
I like the sound of The Professional Childminders Association (PCMA) ;)

Twinkles
16-03-2012, 10:36 PM
Thank you so much Sarah and Penny. :thumbsup:

Cariad
16-03-2012, 11:17 PM
Excellent news and well done :)

Stormy
16-03-2012, 11:56 PM
Well done and thank you

mayberry
17-03-2012, 06:56 AM
thank you both
Dawn xx

Roseolivia
17-03-2012, 07:02 AM
Well done and thank you. I have emailed it to my DO so she can email it to other childminders in my town.

dobby
17-03-2012, 07:05 AM
I havn't read everyone's replies but I wanted to say well done and thank you for your efforts on behalf of childminders everywhere.

And if you do set up a representative body I would be interested in joining :thumbsup:

onceinabluemoon
17-03-2012, 08:00 AM
Thank you both.

I don't really use music or tv during the day as we have a child who cannot hear well and background noise is a no no, but its good to know I will be able to use it in the future. x

sillybeans
17-03-2012, 08:20 AM
Thank you :clapping::clapping:

janminder
17-03-2012, 10:16 AM
Thank you both, brilliant news:clapping::clapping:

lozzy23
17-03-2012, 12:30 PM
Thank you so much for all your hard work Penny and Sarah.:clapping:

murrayspud
17-03-2012, 01:57 PM
YAY :clapping::clapping::clapping::clapping::clapping: :clapping::clapping:
Thank you so much for this. It's great news. Well done

Kathryn x

Carolh
17-03-2012, 04:33 PM
Thank goodness we have people like you two fighting our cause ! Thank you both

fluff1975
20-03-2012, 08:44 PM
I've missed a lot of the background to this but having read these replies it's clearly apparent that many thanks are in order to you both!

So thank you :) :)

loocyloo
20-03-2012, 09:42 PM
FANTASTIC!

well done penny & sarah and big thank yous.

xxx

(i too like the professional childminders association;))

SandCastles
20-03-2012, 09:46 PM
Well done ladies

Rubybubbles
20-03-2012, 09:50 PM
well done ladies and a big thank you:clapping:

buildingblocks
20-03-2012, 10:57 PM

I so agree with this and the fact that they have done this when it should have been the NCMA doing this on our behalf.

A big thank you to Sarah and Penny for all the hard work you have put in on our behalf

buildingblocks
20-03-2012, 11:00 PM
I have to say that once we got to talk to the right people at PPL and explained what childminders do (they weren't sure to start with) and how we work with children and follow a curriculum like schools etc they were more than reasonable.

This saddens me that people still do not know what childminders do when the NCMA should be making aure that people do know)

In fact they were lovely to deal with, always friendly and gave us both lots of time to make sure that they fully understood what we were saying about childminders as educators - rather than just businesses that have music in the background.

I am sure that Penny will agree - it was refreshing to be treated as professionals by them and to be listened to... and of course it's fab that we have the result we knew was right for all childminders :clapping:

I am presuming it will be okay to send to our development workers to pass onto local childminders mind you they haven't told us we need a license in the first place lol

Penny1959
21-03-2012, 07:24 AM
I am presuming it will be okay to send to our development workers to pass onto local childminders mind you they haven't told us we need a license in the first place lol

Yes please do pass on - PPL want as many childminders as possible to know

Toothfairy
21-03-2012, 07:35 AM
Thank you Sarah & Penny for all your hard work, fab news :thumbsup:

JulieA
21-03-2012, 06:41 PM
Firstly, a BIG thankyou to Penny and Sarah for taking this on.:clapping:

Secondly, I am still a little confused by the wording on the document (I am ill at the moment so please make allowances!). The first bullet point: "A PPL licence would be applicable if you are using music to entertain........ This may also apply if you use the TV to entertain them. PPL would consider your property to be your place of business".
If I read it that the use of TV or music is used to educate rather than entertain (and let's face it they kind of are wrapped up together) as per EYFS then as a childminder NO licence is required?

I know I am being a bit thick, but am rather poorly and not thinking straight!
:blush:

sarah707
21-03-2012, 06:46 PM
If music is used to educate we do not need a licence.

also any music we listen to for personal / family use does not need a licence.

However if we use music for other purposes we need to contact PPL and check whether or not they want us to have a licence.

I think you will find that the vast majority of the activities you do with little ones are educational... and the rest won't be missed if you cut them out of your daily routines.

Hth :D

JulieA
22-03-2012, 08:12 AM
Thank you Sarah. As I said I have been poorly this week and just kept tying myself in knots with the wording.

I will pass on to our local network to be issued in the newsletter.

Once again, many thanks for your help and support.

Tink
22-03-2012, 08:30 AM
Thank you something else we can tick off the list and don't need to pay for :clapping:

Seriously don't know what I would do without this forum:thumbsup:

VeggieSausage
22-03-2012, 08:48 AM
Thank you for all your efforts and congrats on your success xx:clapping::clapping::clapping::clapping:

Jiorjiina
23-03-2012, 12:31 PM
That's brilliant news, thank you two so much!

Carol
23-03-2012, 12:49 PM
Thank you.....

Next Job is running the country!!!! May Elections soon :laughing::laughing:

Carol

cherry
23-03-2012, 01:13 PM
Well Done Sarah and Penny :clapping:

Thank you for all the hard work you put into sorting this out :thumbsup:

RachelE
23-03-2012, 01:36 PM
Wow, well done!! :clapping:

Thank you for all of your hard work, both of you :thumbsup:

Rachel x

Kezzle
14-04-2012, 07:42 PM
So there I was doing snack time this afternoon when Sarah 707 phoned me - she was very excited and saying 'We have done it, we have done it Penny'

Once she had calmed down (a little) she told me that we had both had an email from the very helpful man at Public Perforance Licence UK

A PPL licence would normally also be applicable if your sole use of music is to educate children as instructed by a recognised curriculum. However, although licensable under the terms of the CDPA (1988), PPL chooses not to license the use of its repertoire in a childminder’s home for this purpose

So there we have it - after months of keeping on about this we now have the result we wanted :clapping::clapping::clapping:

By now I was just as excited as Sarah - and I think we both need a pat on the back.:D

I have attatched the new factsheet - please do share with as many as possible as PPL want ALL childminders to know about this.

Woop! Thats great!

Now what about that one for playing dvds/movies? Do we have to have it?

sarah707
15-04-2012, 09:06 AM
Woop! Thats great!

Now what about that one for playing dvds/movies? Do we have to have it?

Nobody has ever said anything about it... let's not muddy the waters :cool: :D

Penny1959
15-04-2012, 02:01 PM
Nobody has ever said anything about it... let's not muddy the waters :cool: :D

Agree with Sarah - not going down that road at the moment.

IF - and only IF we get told we need one we will tackle it - but for now lets not even mention it

Kezzle
16-04-2012, 12:48 PM
Mention what? ;)

Blaze
17-04-2012, 03:10 AM
Wow - Congratulations Penny & Sarah!:clapping::clapping::clapping:

...& Thank you for all your hard work :thumbsup:

kareninluton
18-04-2012, 11:20 AM
Hi
The PPL have just quoted me £109.47 +VAT per year for a background music policy! so i sent them the information you shared on here and told them i wouldn't have any background music anyway.
Karen

sarah707
18-04-2012, 05:35 PM
Hi
The PPL have just quoted me £109.47 +VAT per year for a background music policy! so i sent them the information you shared on here and told them i wouldn't have any background music anyway.
Karen

Well done that's absolutely the right way to handle things!

If you use music for family / personal listening or for education you do not need a licence :D

kareninluton
18-04-2012, 10:17 PM
Hi
well i got a response to the "i don't think i need this" email i sent today

"Hi Karen

Thank you for your email.

I can confirm music usage for educational purpose is not licensable by PPL. This means a PPL Licence is not required for your childminding business.

I hope this helps."

Penny1959
19-04-2012, 06:38 AM
Hi
well i got a response to the "i don't think i need this" email i sent today

"Hi Karen

Thank you for your email.

I can confirm music usage for educational purpose is not licensable by PPL. This means a PPL Licence is not required for your childminding business.

I hope this helps."

RESULT

Thank goodness for that - thought for a moment that Sarah and I were going have to 'sdpeak' to them again.

CMinderMandy
10-03-2017, 12:53 PM

For some reason i am unable to view or download attachment :(

tulip0803
10-03-2017, 05:50 PM
For some reason i am unable to view or download attachment :(

It's here x http://www.childmindinghelp.co.uk/freeresources/Free%20downloads/Resources/PPL%20Licensing%20Guide%20for%20Childminders%20(1) .pdf

FloraDora
11-03-2017, 07:37 AM
However, I do put music on to soothe one child when going down for a nap, this seems to warrant a licence ?

CMinderMandy
11-03-2017, 09:37 AM
It's here x http://www.childmindinghelp.co.uk/freeresources/Free%20downloads/Resources/PPL%20Licensing%20Guide%20for%20Childminders%20(1) .pdf

Thankyou :) x

FloraDora
11-03-2017, 01:16 PM
Thank you for signposting this.
I've now investigated further and it seems that soothing a child before a nap is not part of the ' curriculum', is more entertaining so therefore does come under needing a license.
So luckily youngest is a musician and is now creating for me a bespoke piece of music that hopefully will replace the current music I use for this LO's naps....and is giving me permission to use it.

Problem solved.
Well done Sarah and Penny for working hard on this so that we can all benefit now.