PDA

View Full Version : costing, shift worker

mabel
16-03-2012, 04:51 PM
thrilled at getting a lovely little baby to mind today, however not sure how to work out the money

mum is a doctor - so has shifts, she has worked it that my days will be either wed, thur or fri

some weeks all 3 days
some weeks 2 days
some weeks 1 day

although this suits me have some days off - especially fridays I realise I will be loosing money and i will have to keep a space, I wondered if anyone has a good plan, I dont want to charge for 3 days every week/or retainer as it seems a bit harsh

would appreciate ideas that have worked

thanks
Mabes

ChocolateChip
16-03-2012, 05:21 PM
Think you need to find out how 'equal' it is going to be, is that a 3 weekly rolling rota or will it just depend?
Because you don't want to agree to a small retainer if she is hardly ever going to use three days or you will lose out.
I would suggest maybe asking for a minimum fee at a price you are happy with, and charge for the extra if she uses it. If it were me I would charge for at least 2 days worth a week, and possibly a small retainer for the 3rd day, to be paid in full if she uses it, otherwise you are basically keeping 3 days free for possibly only a day's pay.
Or you could charge her the full three days but allow so many her extra 'floating days' off with no charge over a month or two months say. if you do this make sure she has to give a certain amount of notice though, so you are not short unexpectedly or have plans messed up.

Good luck hun :thumbsup: