PDA

View Full Version : parents and the eyfs??

adele1985
16-03-2012, 01:46 PM
Just doing my sef (still :rolleyes:) just woundering how you all inform parents about the EYFS

I dont really go into detail about it and to be honest the parents couldnt care a less about the EYFS they just want to know their child is safe and happy in my care

I link my obs to the EYFS and put the next steps on them (all with pictures of the LOs so parents can see what im writting about) but i can honestly say i dont even talk to parents about the EYFS

I do give my parents the development files every couple of months to take home and look at to see wht their child has been up to but thats about it

should I be doing more :panic:

Jods
16-03-2012, 01:59 PM
I put some areas from the EYFs on my newsletter that relate to their childs age group x hth x

sarah707
16-03-2012, 05:17 PM
When the new Eyfs comes out in September one of the requirements will be to inform parents about the Eyfs - whether they want to know or not! :laughing:

So best start slowly... just use the words in conversation, in your newsletter, in the child's diary etc and explain what you are talking about so parents understand it better.

Hth :D

blue bear
16-03-2012, 05:32 PM
I always Explain in the beginning that I track childrens development to the eyfs which is an early years frame work to help practitioners to provide a good grounding to all activities to help childen learn through play. I then talk about it more when relevant. At parent meetings I show parents the eyfs books relating to where their child is developmentally, it's just normal to talk about it now.
I've even had parents ring up and get their own copy of eyfs when it was still available.
Some parents really are not interested but most are to varying degrees.

Helen Dempster
16-03-2012, 06:28 PM
I've got a copy of what the EYFS framework is/means, from my local authority that's pinned on my noticeboard. If parents want a copy I give them a copy, if not, I just explain what the EYFS is...at which point their eyes usually glaze over and they start mentally writing their shopping list or something! :laughing:

rickysmiths
16-03-2012, 08:29 PM
I put a copy of this in my Parent Information Folder and then in the childs LJ.

https://www.education.gov.uk/publications/eOrderingDownload/EYFS%20Supp_July08.pdf

I have a sheet in the front of the LJ that briefly explains the areas of learning and aspects and I use the NCMA stickers for the areas of learning so I stick them on this sheet and use them through the LJ so the parents can see at a glance what everything means.

Mollymop
16-03-2012, 08:36 PM
My parents get given their children's LJ every term to look at and in there are lots of bits to do with the EYFS. When the EYFS came out on Sept 2008 I sent out a newsletter explaining (the best I could) to all parents.

When a new child starts I explain about the EYFS to the parents and ask them to sign a form that gives me permission to use the EYFS to perform observations of their child.

I have sent out newsletters with links to the eyfs guidance website, so they can track their own child's progress the same as I do.

The parents keep and sign trackers to show where their child is learning regarding the EYFS learning and development.

In their LJ I include an overview of the 6 areas of the EYFS learning and development

They sign policies that show I work with the EYFS.

hth