PDA

View Full Version : Fiddle dee dee?!

migimoo
15-03-2012, 10:08 PM
Hoping i can get some advice-i have a 3yr old mindee girl who,when relaxing watching cartoons or listening to a story occasionally erm,likes to 'have a little fiddle' or,as my 12yr old DD laughingly describes it 'she's doing her Monster Munch toes again!' :laughing:
Whilst I know that it's perfectly healthy and normal it's obviously not appropriate behaviour in a roomful of other LO's and i'm unsure how to deal with this as it's not something i've encountered before and as dad collects her am nervous about talking to him about this-i can only imagine how my husband would react in the same situation(ground swallow me up!):blush:
At the moment I just say to her quietly "leave your fairy alone now hon and let's go and wash our hands" and don't mention it again-reading this back am worried i'm making her think it's 'dirty' by washing.
Am positive it's not sexual in nature just relaxing for her but am so worried about making sure i deal with this well-is there an age appropriate book anyone can recommend?

The Juggler
15-03-2012, 10:15 PM
my sis used to do this but the opposite way flexing them upwards, used to annoy the bits off me :laughing::laughing:

i think it's a reflex when relaxing - like you fidget when you have restless leg/feet syndrome. i wouldn't worry

Pipsqueak
15-03-2012, 10:16 PM
oh my.. living in a household full of males - where they all seem to have a fiddle or be holding 'it' I really don't know what to suggest.

I would perhaps just speak to parents by asking that she seems to be fiddling a bit and you just wanted to check that she wasn't uncomfortable down below - ie thrush or damp or not wiping properly for instance... that may be a good opener.
OR just ask them how they deal with it - they may use different words for their privates for example.

I think you are dealing with it well, a quite reminder and wash hands....and then ignore/forget

could you give her something else to occupy her hands - one of those tangle balls (ELC have some good ones) or a squishy ball

migimoo
15-03-2012, 10:23 PM
She calls it 'fairy' herself when she is on the toilet (btw,we say 'tuppence' in my house which she thinks is hilarious!)
:laughing:

Pipsqueak
15-03-2012, 10:25 PM
She calls it 'fairy' herself when she is on the toilet (btw,we say 'tuppence' in my house which she thinks is hilarious!)
:laughing:

can't begin to tell you what things get called in our house:rolleyes:

The Juggler
15-03-2012, 10:26 PM
my sis used to do this but the opposite way flexing them upwards, used to annoy the bits off me :laughing::laughing:

i think it's a reflex when relaxing - like you fidget when you have restless leg/feet syndrome. i wouldn't worry

OMG I totally miseread this. I just saw the monster munch toes bit and not what she was doing to cause it :eek:

I agree with Pip thoughp perfectly normal at this age (or for men at any age) she just needs to learn where it is NOT appropriate to do it and def. make her wash hands :p

Pipsqueak
15-03-2012, 10:28 PM
OMG I totally miseread this. I just saw the monster munch toes bit and not what she was doing to cause it :eek:

p

LMAO.... I did wonder what you had read pmsl

The Juggler
15-03-2012, 10:31 PM
LMAO.... I did wonder what you had read pmsl

that'll teach me to have one eye on the post, the rest of my brain shouting the kids to get back into bed and to sleep and having a second glass of vino :blush:

Stapleton83
15-03-2012, 10:32 PM
Normal but not easy my 5 yr old male mindee has just discovered if he fiddles enough he can make his hard! Have to keep asking him if he wants a wee or to stop fiddling which makes him blush:blush:never mind him I've got two little girls and it made me blush!

You are not alone and it is normal just not the easiest thing to talk about. Just keep going the way you are and try and explain why it's not the done thing.

Good luck

Sam x