PDA

View Full Version : Does a 2 year old needs lots of social interaction?

buzzy bee
15-03-2012, 11:38 AM
Have just lost a mindee age 27 months because his parents feel he has "reached a new stage" and needs to be with lots of children (oh and the fact he cries whenever he has to come to my house!)

It's just got me thinking about whether children really need this at this age.

I'm sending DS to pre-school in September when he'll be 2+9months, but only because I think he would benefit from having other adults telling him what to do!! Not because I think he needs the social interaction.

DS and mindee go to toddlers, see my friends/childminders, and see older school children.

What are your thoughts on this?

Jods
15-03-2012, 11:42 AM
all social inertaction is good, but please remember that developmentaly children will independantly play/parallel play normally to the age of 3.5 onwards, thats when they truly begin social play, and some children will IP/PP til they are well into junior school x

some children will SP earlier, but not for sustainde periods x

rickysmiths
15-03-2012, 11:45 AM
No more than a good childminder gives them along with transition into a good pre-school for some mornings before going to school, for as you say getting used to interacting with different adults.

I don't know where parents get this idea from but it drives me nuts. Along with the 'he's two now so he doesn't need a sleep any more' and 'he is one now so doesn't need to drink milk in the day'!!!!

Jods
15-03-2012, 11:48 AM
I don't know where parents get this idea from but it drives me nuts. Along with the 'he's two now so he doesn't need a sleep any more' and 'he is one now so doesn't need to drink milk in the day'!!!!

:laughing::laughing::laughing: am so there on that score x

Mouse
15-03-2012, 11:58 AM
I do think children of that age need a lot of social interaction, but I don't think they can only get it from full time nursery.

I always think a childminder gives them the perfect combination of social situations. The get experience of being in bigger groups when we take them to toddler groups (or when they attend part time pre-school), they get experience of a small group when they are with the other mindees & our families and they often get some on-to-one time with us as well. They also benefit from the social interactions that happen when we're out & about in the community. They are learning to interact with children and other adults in a whole range of situations.

At nursery they tend to mix within one large group with a limited number of adults.

Childminders win hands down :thumbsup:

mindingmummy
15-03-2012, 12:37 PM
I do think that children of all ages need social interaction, I dont think it will mean that they are perfectly behaved ect, but that they will learn to be more confident in making friends, adapting to new experiences ect. I started taking my daughter to groups and giving her lots of interaction from 4 months old......

But I think that us as childminders can give them this perfectly well by going to groups, the parks, ect and meeting lots of other children. :)