PDA

View Full Version : No child to mind yet

oana0504
15-03-2012, 10:35 AM
Hello everyone! My name is Oana and I'm new in business and on this forum. I'm a registered childminder since May 2011 but in the meantime I had a baby and I said I'd better start in January 2012. Well, since December I've put lots of adverts, leaflets, I got an account on Childcare.co.uk, I've send portofolios in locals schools and nurseries, advertised at local stores, clinics but nothing yet. My house looks lovely for children and I've been told by other local childminders and the lady from the local council that helps me with lots of advises, that you don't see too often a house like mine. I also go to the playgroups and breastfeeding group.....:panic:
I live in London - Woolwich area but nobody is asking. I'm wondering how long it will take to have at least one child to mind, as my Maternity Allowance is finished and I am a bit worried.
Thank you!

littlecheeks
15-03-2012, 11:08 AM
when i first started it took a good 4/5 months to find a mindee and that was word of mouth through a friend. i find most my calls and enquiries now are through word of mouth too and i spent ages advertising at the start.
have you given the local schools, pre-schools, children centres your details or a leaflet? also local drs, toddler groups, community halls could have a poster or leaflet.
if you have your own children at school start telling everyone and anyone that your a childminder and have vacancies! :D
also maybe get talking to other childminders (childminding groups are good) and ask them to pass on any call they may not want.

good luck, hope that helps x

PerkyEars
15-03-2012, 11:14 AM
A lot of my early ones were students. If there is a local college, they might have a welfare officer who helps to find childcare for students. Get in touch with them and let them know you're available - if you're willing to do bits and pieces of hours/term time only, this can be a good way to get started.

Good luck - it can be tough to get going, but after that it will snowball through word of mouth. :)

oana0504
15-03-2012, 11:19 AM
when i first started it took a good 4/5 months to find a mindee and that was word of mouth through a friend. i find most my calls and enquiries now are through word of mouth too and i spent ages advertising at the start.
have you given the local schools, pre-schools, children centres your details or a leaflet? also local drs, toddler groups, community halls could have a poster or leaflet.
if you have your own children at school start telling everyone and anyone that your a childminder and have vacancies! :D
also maybe get talking to other childminders (childminding groups are good) and ask them to pass on any call they may not want.

good luck, hope that helps x

Thank you, littlecheeks for your answer :littleangel:....I've put adverts in local schools, nurseries, playgroups, clinics, local council, gumtree, childcare.co.uk, breastfeeding groups, the parents from school also know I'm a childminder....but no use yet. Childminders from our area also need to fill up their vacancies and like you said, word of mouth it's the best way to promote your business and also, I've heard that it might take 4- 5 months, like it took you, to find a mindee. So I need to struggle :D....Even now I'm getting ready to go to my daughter's school for a "baby cafe"....fingers crossed.:)

oana0504
15-03-2012, 11:24 AM
A lot of my early ones were students. If there is a local college, they might have a welfare officer who helps to find childcare for students. Get in touch with them and let them know you're available - if you're willing to do bits and pieces of hours/term time only, this can be a good way to get started.

Good luck - it can be tough to get going, but after that it will snowball through word of mouth. :)

Thanks perky ears :littleangel:...indeed it's a good idea and you are right, even for a few hours, it's a start for sure and I won't say not to this because I'm sure it's enough to have one or two children in may care as the word spreads. I also have a friend who waited for 2 months to mind the first child, that also was for part time, and now she is so sorry that she needs to say to the parents that she is full.