PDA

View Full Version : 8.30pm finish - am I crazy??

Pandypops
13-03-2012, 10:23 PM
I am about to take on a child who will be here until 8.30pm 1-3 days a week. Is this crazy? Does anyone else have late finishes and do they infringe on family life too much? It would really help the mum out and it's well paid but my OH is slightly worried about it.

Any reassurances or replies greatly appreciated as usual!

The Juggler
13-03-2012, 10:30 PM
crazy! mad woman! no way in a million years would I do it :laughing::laughing: sorry that wasn't very supportive was it.:p

It would eat far too much into my family life hon :panic:

chez
13-03-2012, 10:30 PM
I dont have this atm but Id be happy to provide this. How much itll effect your family life I guess that depends on the age of the child what the childs evening routine is and what your family is? for me I dont have children of my own and my partner is my assistant so it wouldnt change our life too much but if the child was under 5 I would be trying to talk to mum about the little one staying the night (we are registered overnight) in order to ensure they got enough sleep.

Blaze
13-03-2012, 10:32 PM
Make sure you have a 6 week trial period - these things wear you down, but can work ...but as a said give yourself a long trial period & perhaps a 2 week notice instead of 4 weeks just in case! HTH:)

helengreen13
13-03-2012, 10:37 PM
Yes I have late finishes between 3 and 6 times a week as both parents work for local care homes and depends if there shifts coincide. It can be hard sometimes, when the los get tired but no more so than if they are tired during the day. It can impact on family life and the two things I found hard was sending my children to bed when still minding little ones and didn't like having dinner while still minding as could not relax but, I weighed that up with the work and the pay and I would not have changed it.

Helen

Cammie Doodle
13-03-2012, 10:55 PM
I have worked till 9.30pm in the past for shift workers, as they had no family nearby to help out. I still help on the odd occasion till 7.15 but don't advertise it :blush:

childminder54
13-03-2012, 11:52 PM
Ive just finished having 2 until 10.30

EmmaReed84
14-03-2012, 06:20 AM
I have one child Thur and Fri until 7pm. She is a lovely girl and I love having her, but by the time 7pm comes I am ready for her to go as I would have been working 12 hours and it is exhausting and you never truely relax when you have minded kids at home.

I would do as suggested a decent settling in period. I would also be very very strict on late collected charging £10 per 15 minutes as it is so late and eating right in to your evening.

How old is the child? I would be asking what the routine at home is also, what time is bed time, will you be required to bathe and getting child ready for bed? Will you be required to get the child to sleep, if so where will they sleep etc.

miffy
14-03-2012, 07:39 AM
crazy! mad woman! no way in a million years would I do it :laughing::laughing: sorry that wasn't very supportive was it.:p

It would eat far too much into my family life hon :panic:

I feel the same as Juggler, not an option for me.

Miffy xx

loopyloopy
14-03-2012, 07:51 AM
Totally barking mad :panic:

I personally wouldn't work that late as it would impact on my family, I'd still be working after my 2 went to bed. Not an option here I'm afraid

solly
14-03-2012, 07:52 AM
Even though my children are teenagers I would not do it. I have in the past as an emergency (when we had the London riots) due to both parents being in the police and I would do it again in an emergency.

I like my evenings too much:)

kel1983
14-03-2012, 07:58 AM
We currently mind a 2 year old who we have on a shift pattern.

One week its 11am-5pm and the next is 2pm-8.30pm. This alternates every week and its only mondays, tuesdays and tursdays.

Its not too bad as it is only 3 days a week if that and he fits in with the family after 6 when all the other children have gone home.

We harge extra for the hours after 6pm and parents are happy to pay it as they found it hard to find a childminder who would take the lo.

Lo sits and has dinner with us and then will sit and play quietly until home time. Or she will sit with my laptop and watch cbeebies (mums suggestion)

jumpinjen
14-03-2012, 08:40 AM
I have done it and it was wearing for me - but I had her til 10pm and dropped her off as well as her mum didn;t drive - did it cos i felt sorry for mum but wished I hadn't - o ly lasted four months then found her another minder closer to her so she could walk and pick her up herself at 10pm!!

catminder
14-03-2012, 09:21 AM
I would give it a go for a trial period. It may go better than you think and if not at least you have made the effort to help mum out :thumbsup:

VeggieSausage
14-03-2012, 10:32 AM
wouldn't be for me, I find 6.30 too late.....

Pandypops
14-03-2012, 10:39 AM
Thanks for your replies!

My child is 21 months and goes to bed at 8.30pm. The minded child is 5 so she will sit and play/chill until pick-up. Her Mum is a nurse who is struggling to find someone and the money is great.

The suggestions of a long trial and a short notice period are great and I will do this (just in case!). We are saving to move so I can't really afford to turn it down :blush::blush:

Tatjana
14-03-2012, 08:06 PM
I did it a for a couple of weeks for an ad hoc client and hated it, lo got really tired, miserable and kept asking for him mum. I couldn't put my lo to bed as the noise from mindee was ridiculous and then his mum would turn up and knock loudly on the door :angry: Couldn't do bath times or homework for my children, I would never do it again.:panic:

Ripeberry
14-03-2012, 08:12 PM
No way! Far too late, especially if you have family of your own. What time would you have to start the next morning? :panic:

RachelE
14-03-2012, 08:12 PM
I think if your Lo goes to bed at 8:30, it wont be so bad.

- they will help entertain each other.
It'd be worse trying to entertain a mindee whilst yours are in bed.

Its not 5 days a week, which isnt so bad.

My children go to bed at 7pm, so it wouldnt suit me - but sounds like a good job for you.

Good luck!

Rachel x

zippy
14-03-2012, 09:43 PM
I sometimes do till 6:15 - 20:45 one or two days a week, I get well paid and it's working well at the moment, I do get most holidays off though so that makes up for it. My kids have been really good with it, go to bed at normal times 7;00 and 7:30, the children I mind are older so that helps, they understand it's quiet time then.

kellib
14-03-2012, 09:45 PM
I personally couldn't do it, sometimes I'm in my bed for 8.30pm never mind any kids! :laughing:

If you think it won't impact on your family life too much then go for it :thumbsup:

ziggy
15-03-2012, 10:22 AM
i live alone, start 7am some days others at 8am and wouldnt work after 6pm

I think if you want to try it having a 6week trial period is a great idea, good luck:)

bestmum2have
15-03-2012, 10:41 AM
Have done this before, weekends as well. Not any more seen the light.

Tippy Toes
15-03-2012, 02:16 PM
I worked until 8.30pm for just over a year, looked after a little girl (well 8yrs old) from school time until 8.30pm.

It could be once a week or up to 3 times a week depending on mums shifts.

The money was pretty good.

It was hard, especially if the late was on a Friday night and my two little ones were only 2 and 4 at the time!