PDA

View Full Version : First drop off/pick-up child - advice please...

Pandypops
13-03-2012, 04:56 PM
Hello, I am about to take on my first before/after schoolie and I was wondering how I go about it. Do I need to visit the school with the parent and introduce myself, or can the parent tell them I will drop off/collect? Do you meet at gates, or go into classroom as I have a triple pram with three littlies in as well?

I'm quite nervous about it all really as it's so different to minding under 5's. I am hoping I will be able to fill my other 2 spaces from the same school so fingers crossed :)

Chimps Childminding
13-03-2012, 07:05 PM
I am in a fortunate position as they know me at school (the Nursery is there) so teachers already know who I am! I suppose a lot of it depends on how old the schoolie is? If they are KS1 I would be inclined to stand near to where they come out if at all possible (our classroom doors open onto the playground and parents wait outside respective door). If the child is older he/she may prefer you to wait by the gate, but I would make sure there is no way they can get outside the school grounds without you!

If you have to go into school to collect and as you say you have a triple buggy that isn't going to be possible, I would make a point of introducing myself to the teacher and explain that you can't go into school to collect the child, so could they be brought out to you!