PDA

View Full Version : Smoking question again

Jinx
28-05-2008, 08:44 PM
The thread about childminders smoking got me thinking. I, like many, would never have considered leaving my children with a childminder who smoked. Even if they never did it in the house.
But I was wondering if anyone has ever turned away a potential mindee because their parents smoked? :huh:
I have a real problem with the smell of stale cigerettes. It makes me feel very sick and I really don't think I could look after a child who's clothes, hair etc smelt of smoke.
I would also worry about other mindees going home with a whiff of smoke on them!
Am I alone?
I've never really thought about this before today. :o

Jinx x

Wendy Woo
28-05-2008, 08:45 PM
i cant stand it either now (i used to smoke years ago) but now it makes me feel sick so i dont think i would be able to look afta a child who smelt of smoke!!! I think that sounds bad tho dont u?

berkschick
28-05-2008, 08:50 PM
2 of my mindees parents smoke.

I only know this as their parents stink of fags and mints when they collect lol

The children NEVER smell of smoke, I dont know how I would feel if they did as I can not stand the smell of it.

Jinx
28-05-2008, 08:54 PM
i cant stand it either now (i used to smoke years ago) but now it makes me feel sick so i dont think i would be able to look afta a child who smelt of smoke!!! I think that sounds bad tho dont u?

I don't think it sounds bad!
It's our homes after all.

But I definately would have too make up some other excuse though!

Jinx x

Spangles
28-05-2008, 08:55 PM
I would have to play it by ear but off the top of my head I guess I would say no as the smell of smoke on clothes etc badly affects my asthma and I couldn't have that for any amount of money.

If it's having that noticeable affect on me it must be affecting others too although you perhaps couldn't tell if you see what I mean?

manjay
My husband smokes and my children never smell of it. I am very anti smoking but don't think I would discriminate against a child because their parents smoked. Maybe I would feel differently if it was a very obvious strong smell as they had been smoking around the children. It turns my stomach the state some of the children are dropped off at my house. Luckily I have plenty of spare clothes.

Don't really know sorry!!

Tily Bud
I dont smoke but i have minded children of parents who smoke, 2 of whom i didnt even know they smoked for months - so not everybody smells of it xx

Wendy Woo
28-05-2008, 08:56 PM
I don't think it sounds bad!
It's our homes after all.

But I definately would have too make up some other excuse though!

Jinx x

Yeah definatly

Lou
28-05-2008, 08:57 PM
A minder friend of mine looks after 2 children from same family whos parents both smoke and in the house, and she says it is so bad that she has to put their coats and bags in the garage otherwise it makes the whole house smell!!!

She has been known to wash their clothes before if they have spilt a little something on them just to make them smell nice.

My friend has 4 children herself and works about 70 hours a week so she pays someone to clean for her on a friday, and she makes sure she takes these children out all day on a friday otherwise they make her freshly cleaned house smell of smoke!!!

What can you do though? cant exactly give notice and say sorry your children smell!!!!

Blaze
28-05-2008, 09:00 PM
My husband smokes and my children never smell of it. I am very anti smoking but don't think I would discriminate against a child because their parents smoked. Maybe I would feel differently if it was a very obvious strong smell as they had been smoking around the children. It turns my stomach the state some of the children are dropped off at my house. Luckily I have plenty of spare clothes.

Don't really know sorry!!

I agree with manjay! TBH I have a much bigger problem with the general cleanliness of the children & parents!!! Soap isn't THAT expensive!:rolleyes:

manjay
28-05-2008, 09:02 PM
I agree with manjay! TBH I have a much bigger problem with the general cleanliness of the children & parents!!! Soap isn't THAT expensive!:rolleyes:

You are right! I was thinking of ths when I was reading the funny name thread. I get soooo embarrassed that someone will think they are mine. Luckily the main culprit is in the size of clothes my ds has just grown out of.

chez1373
28-05-2008, 09:05 PM
I am a smoker i dont smoke while at work i dont smoke in the house and my son and 3 step children def dont smell of smoke.. My house doesnt smell either.

so much for equal opps guys the policies should be changed to include will not dicriminate against Smokers....

Sorry for rant just think we are all tared with the same brush and i am full i cant take any more children.

Spangles
28-05-2008, 09:12 PM
I have to say that I don't think anyone is discriminating but I'm not going to have ANYONE in my home who is going to daily affect my health in a negative way! I'm not having anyone in who will make me use my inhalers more and have shortness of breath!

If a child's parents smoked but there was no sign of it then there wouldn't be a problem.

Also, I don't think you can disagree that the smell of smoke is truly awful and that non-smokers would quite clearly not want their homes smelling of someone else's cigarettes every day?

I guess it's a touchy subject but people are just putting their points across, there are probably many more people on the Forum who wouldn't worry about it in the slightest.

x

chez1373
28-05-2008, 09:19 PM
I wouldnt want my home smelling of smoke either i agree with you there...
I have two parents that smoke but if they wouldnt have told me i would never have known....

I completely agree with you if you dont want something in your house then its your home your rules xx

Pipsqueak
28-05-2008, 09:46 PM
I minded for a lady (short term contract) and the buggy (it was one of them padded ones) used to stink - really bad to the point I had to put it outside or the smell permeated the house. I even Febreezed it on a couple of occasions.

I didn't think I would be so adverse or sensitve to it (I hate smokey atmospheres - yes yes I know I smoke) but it was awful

chez1373
28-05-2008, 10:33 PM
Im like that i smoke but hate the smell and atmospher
How very strange we are lol

Tatia
29-05-2008, 06:42 AM
It's not just the smell, though. Carcinogens from cigarette smoke do not just die away. That smoky smell is full of poison. It clings to your clothes, your car upholstery, any surface it can. I quit smoking when I got pregnant with DD but my husband smoked for the longest time afterwards (he's since quit) and I wouldn't even let him hold her after he came in from a ciggie until he had changed his clothes.

Mollymop
29-05-2008, 07:04 AM
I smoke and I am finding it very difficult to give up - I do not smoke while i have my mindee and I am not allowed to smoke in the house - Darren doesn't smoke you see and he hates me smoking, so I go out into the garden.
My parents smoked while I was young, i remember looking at the clouds of smoke floating around the lounge. Sad really, I know.
But in those days everyone smoked and everyone would have smelled of the stuff, even us kids.
People smoked in cinemas, cafes, shops and even hospitals. That was only 20 years ago.

I do not agree with smoking around children, I don't even like my kids seeing me smoke, I go round the corner. I hate seeing parents pushing buggies and prams around while smoking. I want to give up and I know I will in time and when I am ready.
I would hate the fact that people would discriminate me because I smoke in my own leisure time, like everyones parents and yourselves have probably smoked in the past.

:)

disney
29-05-2008, 08:52 AM
i hate smoking i did have 2 mindees and both parents smoked it was horrid the children did smell badly & even when they had a bag of clean clothes they stunk of cigs it did make me feel a bit ill . also when they left my house even smelt im afraid . dont know if i would actually terminate a contract because of this ( as its not the childs fault ) but i was lucky in the fact that i did terminate the contract for behavouir reasons any way .

certainly made me think about it and when i interview may metion if parents smoke and think before i take them on if it would cause me any problems so wouldnt want to end the contract later ifuswim x

Hannahlg
29-05-2008, 02:59 PM
one of our parents somke we only smell it on her sometimes when she picks child up not all the time , and dont smell it on thechild